This Bellator crew does not call the fights

FMD is always weird, the fact they teamed with Cam Soda just took it to the next level.
I never knew they were a weird org before this teaming but looking back at some of their event names lol. Love the Karate kid reference for their event Full Metal Dojo 11: Sweep all the legs..LOL these guys are great!!
I want their merch bad but their site says shopping there is shady so I don’t continue :(

In the UFC forums everyone complains about the UFC commentary team, save for Jon Anik. Here everyone complains about the Bellator commentary team, you guys will never be happy whoever is calling the fights. Somehow apparently some random sherdoggers are more knowlegeable and experienced than former fighters, refs, and commentarors. For example, I cant think of a more knowledgeable and experienced personality than Big John, any doubts about the refs job or about rules, Big John is THE guy to consult with, he literally wrote the rule book on MMA and has been present since day one. Yet everyone here shits on him for some reason or another.
Bottom line is, opinions on MMA are so diverese that someone will be bitching and complaining about commentary, regardless of who is doing it.

Bas Rutten and Pat Militich are my fav commentators. They don’t over do it while giving sound technical insight.

In the UFC forums everyone complains about the UFC commentary team, save for Jon Anik. Here everyone complains about the Bellator commentary team, you guys will never be happy whoever is calling the fights. Somehow apparently some random sherdoggers are more knowlegeable and experienced than former fighters, refs, and commentarors. For example, I cant think of a more knowledgeable and experienced personality than Big John, any doubts about the refs job or about rules, Big John is THE guy to consult with, he literally wrote the rule book on MMA and has been present since day one. Yet everyone here shits on him for some reason or another.
Bottom line is, opinions on MMA are so diverese that someone will be bitching and complaining about commentary, regardless of who is doing it.
I don’t think the criticisms in this thread are about a lack of MMA knowledge or experience. They are about broadcasting skills. These are broadcast roles and while knowledge and experience in the subject matter is required, it’s not the only necessary skill.

Big John is one of the top authorities on anything MMA but I don’t like him as a broadcaster. He’s a bit forced and it comes off unnatural, like a shill.

Josh Thomson has a wealth of MMA experience. He knows the game and what it takes to compete. He fills the “Dom” role for Bellator but he rambles and goes off tangents. He doesn’t quite know when to stop. Dom used to be more like this but has been more focused and broadcast conscious lately.

Goldie is 100% broadcaster but his MMA knowledge seems shockingly weak for someone who’s been around as long as he has... but his broadcast style and personally wear thin on me. He has zero depth and only one gear.

I never knew they were a weird org before this teaming but looking back at some of their event names lol. Love the Karate kid reference for their event Full Metal Dojo 11: Sweep all the legs..LOL these guys are great!!
I want their merch bad but their site says shopping there is shady so I don’t continue :(
I think they still stream on Facebook (less buffering than their Cam Soda stream).

I don’t think the criticisms in this thread are about a lack of MMA knowledge or experience. They are about broadcasting skills. These are broadcast roles and while knowledge and experience in the subject matter is required, it’s not the only necessary skill.

Big John is one of the top authorities on anything MMA but I don’t like him as a broadcaster. He’s a bit forced and it comes off unnatural, like a shill.

Josh Thomson has a wealth of MMA experience. He knows the game and what it takes to compete. He fills the “Dom” role for Bellator but he rambles and goes off tangents. He doesn’t quite know when to stop. Dom used to be more like this but has been more focused and broadcast conscious lately.

Goldie is 100% broadcaster but his MMA knowledge seems shockingly weak for someone who’s been around as long as he has... but his broadcast style and personally wear thin on me. He has zero depth and only one gear.
Big John comes off as a shill because every announcer has to sell their fighters, even if they know they are a can and have 0 chance, they have to sell you on them, its their job. Happens in the UFC, Bellator, and every single other promotion. He has good chemistry with Josh Thomson so I like them but yes, they are lacking broadcasting skills, however, they are pretty decent commentators, nothing to be complaining about every event.

Best is Rogan, DC and Anik.

The worse is Big John and anyone he is with. He is literally so bad he drags down anyone he commentates with. I have to mute Bellator when I watch.

Steven Chivalio and Pat Millitech for the win! Best in MMA

I will sometimes watch a non-English language stream so I can hear the sounds of the fight without being annoyed by the babble. I'll do that with the UFC too, but not as often. When there is obvious bias or a narrative is being pushed too hard, I want to tune it out and just take in the fight.

Bellator put Paul Daley back on the mic. Put Ilima MacFarlane on the mic, put Tony Misech on the mic with his lively voice even though he's still trying to make a name for himself in Bellator. Put Matt Mitrione on the mic, put MVP on the mic. Put any myriad of Bellator established fighters and personalities on the mic. But get rid of Big John and Chael Sonnen and anything that has that UFC vibe to it watching a Bellator fight card.

By that regard,they should probably hire Ben Askren and Eddie Alvarez to be their commentators.

By that regard,they should probably hire Ben Askren and Eddie Alvarez to be their commentators.
Just more Bellator flavor on the mic. Under Coker, he makes Bellator feel like it can't get anything done unless it gets it from the UFC. Bellator has many great personalities like Michael Chandler, like MVP, like King Mo, like Douglas Lima, like A.J. McKee, like Darrion Caldwell, like James Gallagher, and others. Use them and stop making it feel like Bellator needs to get everything from the UFC.

Just more Bellator flavor on the mic. Under Coker, he makes Bellator feel like it can't get anything done unless it gets it from the UFC. Bellator has many great personalities like Michael Chandler, like MVP, like King Mo, like Douglas Lima, like A.J. McKee, like Darrion Caldwell, like James Gallagher, and others. Use them and stop making it feel like Bellator needs to get everything from the UFC.
King Mo is actually a good analyst. Don’t know why they haven’t hired him as the color commentary.

Big John comes off as a shill because every announcer has to sell their fighters, even if they know they are a can and have 0 chance, they have to sell you on them, its their job. Happens in the UFC, Bellator, and every single other promotion. He has good chemistry with Josh Thomson so I like them but yes, they are lacking broadcasting skills, however, they are pretty decent commentators, nothing to be complaining about every event.

Right, folks in the booth have a job to sell us on the product. But that sales pitch is quite natural from some and awkward from others. I feel like Big John likely improves over time because he’s a smart man. I think we’ve seen improvement in the UFC booth from former fighters, would be nice to see the same happening with Big John and Josh in Bellator (Goldie is what he is and always will be).

I’ll certainly agree that we don’t need to be crying at about the booth for every event, though. But hey, it’s Sherdog, it’s what we do. {<BJPeen}

Right, folks in the booth have a job to sell us on the product. But that sales pitch is quite natural from some and awkward from others. I feel like Big John likely improves over time because he’s a smart man. I think we’ve seen improvement in the UFC booth from former fighters, would be nice to see the same happening with Big John and Josh in Bellator (Goldie is what he is and always will be).

I’ll certainly agree that we don’t need to be crying at about the booth for every event, though. But hey, it’s Sherdog, it’s what we do. {<BJPeen}
Big John and Josh will keep improving with every broadcast but Goldie has go to go! Aside from from being pretty bad it just seems like trying too hard to get ex-UFC people to Bellator.

Big John and Josh will keep improving with every broadcast but Goldie has go to go! Aside from from being pretty bad it just seems like trying too hard to get ex-UFC people to Bellator.

The last time someone got rid of Goldie everyone wanted him back.

Yesterdays commentating on the UFC was horrible, they were having conversations between them talking about their freaking childhood while the fighters were exchanging. Complaining about Thomson and BJM now seems pretty irrelevant. Save for a few exceptions, like Rogan and Anik, I think MMA commentating, in general, is not great.

Bottom line is, they suck.

The last time someone got rid of Goldie everyone wanted him back.
I think this had to do more with the fact of how the UFC let him go rather than with him actually leaving. It was pretty shitty to just fire him and not let him have a moment or anything during his last broadcast, it was business as usual; after so many years he was just not there anymore. However, I think most people were glad he left tbh...until Bellator hired him.

Back