Thinking of Just Randomly Moving Far Away in The U.S. Any Suggestions

A lot of people like you move to Costa Rica it seems. Lots of Expats there. I notice many people open some outdoor adventure outfitter for like scuba, or ATV rides, or jungle excursions, or fishing. Some people open restaurants and night clubs in the resort areas, or a massage parlour.

Stay away from San Jose CR, it is boring as hell.

I moved cross-country from Florida to California earlier this year. I had no family or friends out here at the time. But there's a lot of opportunities, and so many other things going on that I couldn't imagine still living at home. If you want to give yourself the best possible chance of making a successful move somewhere (and not having to move back home), do lots of research about what places are good, where you will have good job prospects, cost of living, etc., and save up even more money. I was visualizing myself living in California a good ten years before circumstances allowed me to move.

Did you even have a job lined up in California? Do you live near coast or more inland? California has to be rough place to move to blind, and without anything lined up.

be5d07db54e8694acbf13b9d287c67d5.jpg

If you looked like this guy you could get a random job anywhere

My last year has been terrible and I've been deeply deeply depressed. I have always been excited at the idea of moving and have no real reason to live where I do anymore. Considering I've been suicidal, starting somewhere new sounds better than dying. Ideally, nice weather, good cost of living and employment opportunities.
If you have depression, go someplace warm and sunny.

I'm not sure there's many places where you can get nice weather and good cost of living.
California, for example - people love the weather, but that's a major part of why it's so unaffordable.

Sunlight does have a major impact on some people's mood. Plenty of resources, like:
https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/US/average-annual-sunshine-by-city.php

I wonder if there may be other places with near perfect climate of California. Probably are, but dont speaka english. Thats is too bad.

let's move to the dominican republic. we will pull a ton of ass, we will make a new Mike and Mike tv show

It's not a bad idea.

I think that being aimless and stagnant can contribute a lot to depression. Going to a new place and doing something different can really give you a fresh perspective.

What are you waiting for Mike? Don't let your dreams be dreams..

giphy.gif

Um.... I'm the other Mike. I got more solitude than I want tbh.

Mike, glad to see your thinking of mixing things up to try to change your mindset. Anywhere you've always wanted to live or visit?

IIRC you're pretty much done with school now right? So you might be able to move to an entirely new area and find a good job.
LOL, sorry man, all you Mikes look the same to me.

TS, do it. Working and living overseas changed my life, all for the better. Trust me, it'll be an adventure that will grow you as a person. I think it would help with your depression. Meeting new people, exploring a new culture, trying new foods, experiencing new customs...fucking exotic pussy. Is it always exciting and fun? No, but in those struggles comes the adventure... adaptation is the spice of life my friend.

lMpL1.gif

i'd love to live down there, but what kind of work is there, aside from tourist jobs? i can't imagine being able to make much money down there.
I've not spent too much time there, but most of the keys are not particularly touristy. Key West, Isla Morada, a few others. I would imagine fishing and water based industries. Maybe not much money, but a very different lifestyle.

My last year has been terrible and I've been deeply deeply depressed. I have always been excited at the idea of moving and have no real reason to live where I do anymore. Considering I've been suicidal, starting somewhere new sounds better than dying. Ideally, nice weather, good cost of living and employment opportunities.
You live in the US, but you want to move far away from where you are now, but still within the US? Without knowing where you are now, I would suggest Texas because there are a lot of jobs, warm weather and a low cost of living. You might also want to consider Florida, California, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Alaska and Hawaii. But Texas seems to fit your criteria the most.

Did you even have a job lined up in California? Do you live near coast or more inland? California has to be rough place to move to blind, and without anything lined up.

I'm literally living in Hollywood, practically under the big sign. It's about 45 mins to the coast if there's no traffic. About 20 mins west of downtown.

It was a little nerve racking at first, but once I got past the move I realized it wasn't that big of a deal. I didn't have a job lined up, or an apartment booked/reserved ahead of time. All I had was a storage unit and a UPS mailbox reserved in advance. Drove out here in a U-haul, dumped all my shit in the storage unit, turned in the truck, and started responding to ads on Craigslist for dorm-style apartments. I came out here with $20,000 in savings, so I could have easily afforded my own apartment. But I didn't want to be blowing $1,400 a month in rent alone, plus utilities, only to land a job on the opposite side of town and be locked into a shitty commute for the duration of my lease.

With the dorm living, I paid only $500 flat per month (utilities included), and it's on a month-to-month basis. So if I got that job on the opposite side of town, there's no commitment to the apartment. I could look for another dorm apt on that side of town and just move the next month, instantly reducing my commuting distance.

Once I secured the apartment, the next obvious step was job hunting. I already had a professional-looking resume typed up, references, letters of recommendation, etc. all in advance. Even after all that, it still took me seven weeks to secure a job I was happy with.

Once I got the job, next step was to achieve stability. Get money coming in regularly every month, so I could recover from the costs of the move (truck rental plus gas was around $2000). After that, the next goal was to gain experience at the job, get in with the managers, etc. Once I met co-workers whose goals aligned with my own, I could put feelers out if anyone's looking for a roommate or looking to move into a new place. Once that opportunity comes up, I figure I can get a real (non-dorm) apartment and have my own room. At which point I would be living on the opposite side of the country, gainfully employed, and living on my own with at most one other person.

That's the basic plan of action I followed:

1. Start saving money (I saved $20k but you could move with as little as $3k-$4k (plus moving expenses) if you are willing to lower your standard of living just long enough to make a successful move. Many people that come out here instantly want their own beachside condo etc., and end up blowing all their money in less than a year and have to move back home into their parent's house with their tail tucked between their legs.

2. Research, research, research. Narrow down what neighborhoods are good, how much rent costs, etc. Crime statistics. Racial demographics. Where your job prospects are likely to be. Use Google Maps and make customs maps of all points of interest that may be relevant to you. Grocery stores, banks, post offices, DMV offices, storage units. Anything and everything you may need. Use that to narrow where you want to live. Do anything and everything you can to learn about a place before actually moving there. My sister recommended that I take a trip out to LA before I committed to the move, but like I said, I'd been wanting to move out here for ten years already, so my heart was already dead-set on the move. But a scouting trip may do you good if you're on the fence about a place.

3. Book your private mailbox. A private mailbox is great because no matter how often you move (assuming you do month-to-month at a few different places as you get settled), you won't have to constantly update all your accounts every single time. No worries about losing a W-2 in the mail, etc. One address regardless of how many times you move. I think I pay $20 monthly for my UPS box, and they receive packages from USPS, UPS, and Fedex. So no worries about expensive packages being left on the doorstep of your apt when you're not home, and no chances of someone walking off with said package.

4. Book your storage unit. The less you take with you, the better. I sold, gave away, or threw out literally all my furniture. All I had was my futon mattress, three motorcycles, my tools, clothes, guitar, computer, books, papers, etc. No sofas, no bedframes, no dressers, no coffee tables. You can get shit for free off Craigslist at your destination, then slowly buy up new, nice furniture in the style you like. Don't take your old, worn out shit with you, especially if you're going somewhere far away like cross-country.

5. Make the move. Unload your shit. Get the key to your mailbox.

6. Start apartment hunting. I would highly recommend the dorm situation at least for the first month while you get yourself situated. If you can, contact some places before a week or so before the move. Don't do like I did and wait until you arrive at your destination. I couldn't secure housing my first day, and ended up just walking the streets all night long (having spent $2000 on the move, I wasn't interested in paying for a hotel room for the night). Have 2-3 prospective places scoped out, and check them out firsthand when you arrive. If none of them look that great, just pick the nicest of them and stay for the first month. That buys you time to start looking for a nicer place. As soon as you find that nicer place, just get the fuck out of the old place. It's dorm living, there's no commitment to anything.

7. Get a job. Don't be afraid to work a shitty job at first, while you look for a better job that's more aligned with your goals. Think about the people that move out to LA wanting to be a full-time actor. Those are the people that fail and go home. The ones that succeed are the ones that aren't afraid to bus tables, wait on people, tend bar, work as an assistant, etc. Do what needs to be done to get money coming in. You can upgrade the job later.

8. Start making contacts, friends at work. From there you will get potential opportunities to expand your social network. People who can give you rides in an emergency. People who know the city better than you do. Who might know places that are hiring. People you need to talk to. Places to avoid. Recommendations on neighborhoods. Where to meet women. Etc.

9. Profit!

Last edited:
I'm literally living in Hollywood, practically under the big sign. It's about 45 mins to the coast if there's no traffic. About 20 mins west of downtown.

It was a little nerve racking at first, but once I got past the move I realized it wasn't that big of a deal. I didn't have a job lined up, or an apartment booked/reserved ahead of time. All I had was a storage unit and a UPS mailbox reserved in advance. Drove out here in a U-haul, dumped all my shit in the storage unit, turned in the truck, and started responding to ads on Craigslist for dorm-style apartments. I came out here with $20,000 in savings, so I could have easily afforded my own apartment. But I didn't want to be blowing $1,400 a month in rent alone, plus utilities, only to land a job on the opposite side of town and be locked into a shitty commute for the duration of my lease.

With the dorm living, I paid only $500 flat per month (utilities included), and it's on a month-to-month basis. So if I got that job on the opposite side of town, there's no commitment to the apartment. I could look for another dorm apt on that side of town and just move the next month, instantly reducing my commuting distance.

Once I secured the apartment, the next obvious step was job hunting. I already had a professional-looking resume typed up, references, letters of recommendation, etc. all in advance. Even after all that, it still took me seven months to secure a job I was happy with.

Once I got the job, next step was to achieve stability. Get money coming in regularly every month, so I could recover from the costs of the move (truck rental plus gas was around $2000). After that, the next goal was to gain experience at the job, get in with the managers, etc. Once I met co-workers whose goals aligned with my own, I could put feelers out if anyone's looking for a roommate or looking to move into a new place. Once that opportunity comes up, I figure I can get a real (non-dorm) apartment and have my own room. At which point I would be living on the opposite side of the country, gainfully employed, and living on my own with at most one other person.

That's the basic plan of action I followed:

1. Start saving money (I saved $20k but you could move with as little as $3k-$4k (plus moving expenses) if you are willing to lower your standard of living just long enough to make a successful move. Many people that come out here instantly want their own beachside condo etc., and end up blowing all their money in less than a year and have to move back home into their parent's house with their tail tucked between their legs.

2. Research, research, research. Narrow down what neighborhoods are good, how much rent costs, etc. Crime statistics. Racial demographics. Where your job prospects are likely to be. Use Google Maps and make customs maps of all points of interest that may be relevant to you. Grocery stores, banks, post offices, DMV offices, storage units. Anything and everything you may need. Use that to narrow where you want to live. Do anything and everything you can to learn about a place before actually moving there. My sister recommended that I take a trip out to LA before I committed to the move, but like I said, I'd been wanting to move out here for ten years already, so my heart was already dead-set on the move. But a scouting trip may do you good if you're on the fence about a place.

3. Book your private mailbox. A private mailbox is great because no matter how often you move (assuming you do month-to-month at a few different places as you get settled), you won't have to constantly update all your accounts every single time. No worries about losing a W-2 in the mail, etc. One address regardless of how many times you move. I think I pay $20 monthly for my UPS box, and they receive packages from USPS, UPS, and Fedex. So no worries about expensive packages being left on the doorstep of your apt when you're not home, and no chances of someone walking off with said package.

4. Book your storage unit. The less you take with you, the better. I sold, gave away, or threw out literally all my furniture. All I had was my futon mattress, three motorcycles, my tools, clothes, guitar, computer, books, papers, etc. No sofas, no bedframes, no dressers, no coffee tables. You can get shit for free off Craigslist at your destination, then slowly buy up new, nice furniture in the style you like. Don't take your old, worn out shit with you, especially if you're going somewhere far away like cross-country.

5. Make the move. Unload your shit. Get the key to your mailbox.

6. Start apartment hunting. I would highly recommend the dorm situation at least for the first month while you get yourself situated. If you can, contact some places before a week or so before the move. Don't do like I did and wait until you arrive at your destination. I couldn't secure housing my first day, and ended up just walking the streets all night long (having spent $2000 on the move, I wasn't interested in paying for a hotel room for the night). Have 2-3 prospective places scoped out, and check them out firsthand when you arrive. If none of them look that great, just pick the nicest of them and stay for the first month. That buys you time to start looking for a nicer place. As soon as you find that nicer place, just get the fuck out of the old place. It's dorm living, there's no commitment to anything.

7. Get a job. Don't be afraid to work a shitty job at first, while you look for a better job that's more aligned with your goals. Think about the people that move out to LA wanting to be a full-time actor. Those are the people that fail and go home. The ones that succeed are the ones that aren't afraid to bus tables, wait on people, tend bar, work as an assistant, etc. Do what needs to be done to get money coming in. You can upgrade the job later.

8. Start making contacts, friends at work. From there you will get potential opportunities to expand your social network. People who can give you rides in an emergency. People who know the city better than you do. Who might know places that are hiring. People you need to talk to. Places to avoid. Recommendations on neighborhoods. Where to meet women. Etc.

9. Profit!

I have never heard of a dorm style apartment before. Is this like AirBnb or just a hostel? I heard they just made it legal in Los Angeles. Are you working as a restaurant server?

You say you spent $500 for rent for seven month unemployed. That is only $3500, not bad. How much did you spend on food, entertainment, laundry, and other basic living? YOu must be a very out going person who makes friends easily. I could not do what you do just because of the social necessities. I be very lonely, and probably go crazy in less than 7 months.

But you really took a big chance with only $20K. I like to know what job you have now. And did you work for the first seven months doing menial jobs? If so, how do you have time to do interviews for other jobs, or did you just work part-time.

Back