Thinking of Just Randomly Moving Far Away in The U.S. Any Suggestions

MikeHolmes

Green Belt
Reaction score
My last year has been terrible and I've been deeply deeply depressed. I have always been excited at the idea of moving and have no real reason to live where I do anymore. Considering I've been suicidal, starting somewhere new sounds better than dying. Ideally, nice weather, good cost of living and employment opportunities.

If you can find somewhere with a job and a reasonable cost of living I don't see why not.

I moved cross-country from Florida to California earlier this year. I had no family or friends out here at the time. But there's a lot of opportunities, and so many other things going on that I couldn't imagine still living at home. If you want to give yourself the best possible chance of making a successful move somewhere (and not having to move back home), do lots of research about what places are good, where you will have good job prospects, cost of living, etc., and save up even more money. I was visualizing myself living in California a good ten years before circumstances allowed me to move.

Solid idea imo.
Combat death with living fully.

Just up & moving & leaving a life
behind? I'd consider that a good
shot at living. Go out swinging ts

My last year has been terrible and I've been deeply deeply depressed. I have always been excited at the idea of moving and have no real reason to live where I do anymore. Considering I've been suicidal, starting somewhere new sounds better than dying. Ideally, nice weather, good cost of living and employment opportunities.
Colorado in general is one of the best places, imo. Great cost of living, great healthy atmosphere. 300 days of sun. A lot of activities to get into. Great place to have a dog, which could significantly help your mental health.

Colorado in general is one of the best places, imo. Great cost of living, great healthy atmosphere. 300 days of sun. A lot of activities to get into. Great place to have a dog, which could significantly help your mental health.

Boulder, Colorado was one of the places that sounded good.

Montana. You can live off the land.

They'll give you land in Montana if you do something with it within a few years I think.

As far as living off the land, that'd be a good way to starve to death. This isn't Jeremiah Johnson we're talking about.

Japan. You'll be treated like royalty there. Trust me I've experienced it.

Black clouds have a way of following you. You cannot run away from yourself.

That said, a change in environment may grant you the motivation you need to improve yourself mentally; I just wouldn't rely on it to bring about your sunny days. When the novelty wears off, you'll again be facing that mirror.

Best of luck.

Ever thought of the Florida Keys ? It's a very different vibe there.

Idaho, Hawaii, Montana ,Florida Keys, Maine this country is so big and diverse the options are endless. Just comes down to what kind of life you wanna live

if you have no ties to where you currently are, go for it. a change of pace will at the very least make your life exciting, and you'll have different experiences. i'm kind of in a similar position, but i have a pretty good job, and i won't move someplace else unless i can land a job that pays close to what i'm making now.

Honestly if you say you're suicidal, where you are isn't going to change that. It's going to catch up to you when you get comfortable and back into old habits. Get help. Your scenery isnt going to change you.

colorado gets 300 days of sun a year? do you mean southern-colorado? i can't imagine it being in the mountains where they get snow.

Back