Thinking of doing a power lifting comp?

Mike O'Neil

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
Well after I stoped fighting the need for competition is still strong. I am thinking about looking into doing a power lifting meet sometime this winter. I just don't want to embarrass myself. I don't have to win but would like to be somewhat competative. I would be looking to do a weight class around 200lbs. I am natural so I would prefer it to be a tested meet. I am just curious where my lifts need to be so that I can be competitive. Anybody with any experience with power lifting comps I would really appreciate any insight you could share.

What are your lifts at now? You can check meet results in your area on powerliftingwatch.com.

What are your lifts at now? You can check meet results in your area on powerliftingwatch.com.

That was depressing. I wish I didn't live in Texas.

Edit: As I look at the numbers, I think it must have been an equipment meet, because everyone was way ahead of me on Squat an Bench, but right on par with my deadlifts. I think I can safely show up and not be embarrassed.

Last edited:
Sign up for a meet and go. There is no need to be competitive. At my first meet I put up a measly 1003lb total in the 242lb weight class. Powerlifting is a great sport because you compete against yourself. Almost everyone is supportive of one another, and you will get a ton of good lifting advice.

you learn more when you loose.

you get motivated when you loose

then you win

I didn't win a race for 7 years. then I won NCAAs nothing wrong with it, I got faster/bigger/stronger for 7 years.

Just sign up and do it. You learn more during the competition than you think you will, and everyone will support your efforts because you're stepping up to the platform.

then you win

I didn't win a race for 7 years. then I won NCAAs nothing wrong with it, I got faster/bigger/stronger for 7 years.

loose what? What are you loosing?

Thanks for the help guys. Right now lifts are

Bench 340
Dead- just barley missed 470 today
squat- did 455 3 times last week but they were box squats. I need to work on my form for getting parallel on heavy heavy lifts. I would guess im prob in the low 4s

The problem is I have two screws in my wrist from a failed surgery which messes with my grip strength. So my dead numbers are with straps. Not sure if any comps allow straps. But my wrist might be a limiting factor in my deads

I see you live in Austin, same here. Do you lift anywhere right now?

Fitness 19 up in Avery Ranch. Horrible gym, but only $10 a month. I'm in the market for a new gym, but it really needs to be Cedar Park or NW Austin.

then you win

You didn't win a single race for 7 years and then you won the NCAA championship?

Mike,

If you can lift the bar, you can compete.

No one at the meet will make you feel embarrassed.

Do it. It's a great experience.

You didn't win a single race for 7 years and then you won the NCAA championship?

I won NCAAs after 11 years when I was 22. Won my first race after 7. Thats what happens when you swim with one of the fastest clubs in the country for the first 6 years, you get 3rd and its still fast.

Just did the math think I won some duel meet when I was 17 which makes it six years.

Tosa thanks for making fun of my forum grammer.

Tosa thanks for making fun of my forum grammar.

Spelling, not grammar. Don't take it personally, I just can't stand when people write loose instead of lose.

Last edited:
Back