• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Thinking of a Cheap Carry Gun. Comments Welcome

tumblr_nt2ruqWMQV1ryulodo1_500.jpg

2010.jpg

d18077d6c5a937b63e3895ddc56e835a.jpg

Or Shield or Mod2..
discounted the shield because its almost identical to the Glock 43 and i think he doesnt want that 'style' of pistol. i think the shield is probably the best single stack polymer gun on the market right now though.

The apeingfield emp is very badass but not really cheap.

Those Texas Dingle Berrys are trying to go up on that POS 45.

Now its $373 up from $354, like they're trying to rush me.
http://grabagun.com/review/product/list/id/48471/category/27/
http://grabagun.com/review/product/list/id/48471/category/27/
Can't buy right now as I'm wrestling with Shit Carburetor for my Dual Sport bike Issues.

http://www.lectronfuelsystems.com/

I believed the brochure that these fucking things would actually run better at altitude, (Great for my Colorado trip in two weeks I thought) But mine won't even run at sea level, and the owner of the Company is a complete dickwad.

$600 for one of those junkers.

Now I've got two weeks left to procure something else, Like this:

https://www.jdjetting.com/xcart/home.php?cat=29

So that my Colorado Ride doesn't turn into a fuckin Hike! Ha Ha!

Fucking Junk Lectron..... (was actually Warned they were junk, but I was too stupid to believe it)

You can get a nice Glock (especially second-hand) for cheap. That would make a solid carry piece.

You can get a nice Glock (especially second-hand) for cheap. That would make a solid carry piece.

Everyone has Glocks.

I'm my own kinda weirdo, I wanna be different. I do like my XDs.

If I wasn't spending so much loot on motorcycles n shit like that there, I'd have already bought another 1911 or two. Need to buy some more 45ACP brass, been using the same cases since 1991, the shit is showing the years and miles. Should spend some time practicing. Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda.....

Everyone has Glocks.

If I wasn't spending so much loot on motorcycles n shit like that there, I'd have already bought another 1911 or two. Need to buy some more 45ACP brass, been using the same cases since 1991, the shit is showing the years and miles. Should spend some time practicing. Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda.....
I know Rock Island makes really good 1911s given their price.

IF you could find one, though it won't fall under the "cheap" guideline one of these could be fun:
maxresdefault.jpg

http://para-usa.com/2013/firearms/expert/warthog.php

10 rounds of .45 ACP at your fingertips and it comes with two magazines to boot. Most 1911s come with 1 from what I remember. At least, my first Springer GI model did.

Everyone has Glocks.

Oh, I get where you are coming from. I didn't like Glocks for a long time. I had to spend a lot of trigger time with them to grow into appreciating their functionality and modularity. I actually preferred the XDs as well.

Yeah, the budget is always the killer. If money were no object, I've have a huge arsenal at the house. Instead, I've got 7 guns. I used to have and carry 1911's, and they are things of beauty. The only reason I don't carry them anymore is because I fell out of love with .45 ACP. Now, my personal favorite is my H&K USP Tactical in 9mm. I love that thing.

I know Rock Island makes really good 1911s given their price.

IF you could find one, though it won't fall under the "cheap" guideline one of these could be fun:
maxresdefault.jpg

http://para-usa.com/2013/firearms/expert/warthog.php

10 rounds of .45 ACP at your fingertips and it comes with two magazines to boot. Most 1911s come with 1 from what I remember. At least, my first Springer GI model did.

I'm a firm believer in the idea that a pistol is only worth its user's effectiveness with it. All my best handgun shooting has been with full size gripped guns. My standard of effectiveness is set with that model. Whenever I shoot a stubby gripped short pistol, my effectiveness drops below my standard.

Sometimes I think I could practice up with a shorter gun, but only to a point. I think its doable with a Commander length, but Officers? (Not unless I was wrestling distance) When I factor dropping my standard of effectiveness, ( Time and Accuracy ) for a smidge more concealability, I just can't do it.

So I always avoid the short stuff.

What she said.

Oh, I get where you are coming from. I didn't like Glocks for a long time. I had to spend a lot of trigger time with them to grow into appreciating their functionality and modularity. I actually preferred the XDs as well.

Yeah, the budget is always the killer. If money were no object, I've have a huge arsenal at the house. Instead, I've got 7 guns. I used to have and carry 1911's, and they are things of beauty. The only reason I don't carry them anymore is because I fell out of love with .45 ACP. Now, my personal favorite is my H&K USP Tactical in 9mm. I love that thing.

I've liked the Glocks that I shoot. Several times I was moments from buying when visions of Vanilla Ice, or some other dingle berry rapper holding a Glock sideways popped into my head. I just couldn't do it. XDs satisfy my plastic gun needs well enough though.

It's really not money so much either. I like 1911s, but I feel the motherfuckers are 400% higher than they need to be these days. Think about it, what's so goddamn special about these fucking things that warrants the price tag you see on them? How fucking hard is it to manufacture one this day and age, compared to anything else. Plans for making them has been around a century now, they're practically a curio-relic.

So many are forged slide, cast frame, (or worse) That cheap ass Philipino One I was looking at is just such an item. So for $375 I'm buying a Slide and Frame. Throw in a parts kit from Brownells with (maybe better inards) a stormlake barrel, and for $500 its a solid gun. Maybe it doesn't look as flash, but I'm not so concerned about that over its effectiveness at the business end.

What lead you to 9s over 45s?

I've liked the Glocks that I shoot. Several times I was moments from buying when visions of Vanilla Ice, or some other dingle berry rapper holding a Glock sideways popped into my head. I just couldn't do it. XDs satisfy my plastic gun needs well enough though.

It's really not money so much either. I like 1911s, but I feel the motherfuckers are 400% higher than they need to be these days. Think about it, what's so goddamn special about these fucking things that warrants the price tag you see on them? How fucking hard is it to manufacture one this day and age, compared to anything else. Plans for making them has been around a century now, they're practically a curio-relic.

So many are forged slide, cast frame, (or worse) That cheap ass Philipino One I was looking at is just such an item. So for $375 I'm buying a Slide and Frame. Throw in a parts kit from Brownells with (maybe better inards) a stormlake barrel, and for $500 its a solid gun. Maybe it doesn't look as flash, but I'm not so concerned about that over its effectiveness at the business end.

Modern +P 9mm is just as effective as .45 with the advantage of less recoil, imo.

You should dry fire a walther PPQ; Glock-like functionality with a match-grade trigger and better ergos - same size as a Glock 19.

I like your style man. Good points all around.

I have gone with 9mm over .45 for a few reasons. 1: I just plain shoot more of it. Whether it be in the form of a Glock 17/19, H&K USP or VP9, Beretta M9 (yikes), or MP5, I get a lot of trigger time with 9mm rounds. So the best rounds are the ones that you're going to put on the target, right? 2: It has a really solid, flat flight path. At 100m, I can put my sights on a target and shoot, knowing that my round will land right there. Again, the best round is the one that hits the target, haha. 3: 9mm is a really easy round to balance in a weapon, so most of my guns can be right back on target quickly. Of course, its polar opposite would be .40, which I absolutely hate due to its snappiness. 4: It's cheap, so when I have to provide my own ammo, it's less of a hit to the wallet than .45. 5: Most ballistics tests are showing that the difference in wound cavities and transfer of kinetic energy between the two rounds is virtually nil. .45 is definitely cool, but I don't get much, if any, added value in exchange for the added weight or less capacity. All in all, it just makes more sense to rock 9mm. I must say that 1911's are just fun to shoot though, and they can be pieces of art unto themselves.

I was going to suggest this as a possibility too . . . they have several models in various calibers for cheap. But I have no idea as to how good of a side arm they actually are . . .

I like your style man. Good points all around.

I have gone with 9mm over .45 for a few reasons. 1: I just plain shoot more of it. Whether it be in the form of a Glock 17/19, H&K USP or VP9, Beretta M9 (yikes), or MP5, I get a lot of trigger time with 9mm rounds. So the best rounds are the ones that you're going to put on the target, right? 2: It has a really solid, flat flight path. At 100m, I can put my sights on a target and shoot, knowing that my round will land right there. Again, the best round is the one that hits the target, haha. 3: 9mm is a really easy round to balance in a weapon, so most of my guns can be right back on target quickly. Of course, its polar opposite would be .40, which I absolutely hate due to its snappiness. 4: It's cheap, so when I have to provide my own ammo, it's less of a hit to the wallet than .45. 5: Most ballistics tests are showing that the difference in wound cavities and transfer of kinetic energy between the two rounds is virtually nil. .45 is definitely cool, but I don't get much, if any, added value in exchange for the added weight or less capacity. All in all, it just makes more sense to rock 9mm. I must say that 1911's are just fun to shoot though, and they can be pieces of art unto themselves.

Yeah, absofuckinglootly!

If caliber isn't an issue, Bersa thunder 380s are nice for the price.

So I did a little shooting and a little comparing today.

Brought my Comped XDM 9mm
20160607_192109_resized_zpsbrehgsbr.jpg

And my old Springfield 45 Carry Comp gun:
20160607_193102_resized_zpsfyaftfbl.jpg

Shot each one, doing slow singles. It's close but the 9mm comp gun does kick a little less:

I wanted to a head to head, so decided to do a single target Bill Drill at 15 yards:
"The procedure for the bill drill is to draw, and fire 6 rounds into the target."

Here's the 9mm Compgun (fast as I could reasonably keep track of the front sight)

9mm-bill-drill_zpsulzwfc3h.jpg

Next I did the 45 compgun into the same target:

45-bill-drill_zps09hy98vs.jpg

Interesting, the time was a wash. The 9mm recoiled slightly less, but the 45 cycled noticeably faster, and cancelled the time from the smidgen more recoil.

Albeit, the 45 round was 200grn flat point, avg 930-954fps, and the 9mm round was 124grn ball, whatever. American Eagle. Why I went side to side with the 9mm? The trigger is longer, mushier, or I just had a so so run?

Next I pulled out my two XD45. One thing I really dig about my XD45s is that, they're easy to make hits point of aim.

This kinda stuff, 15 yards, up-Bang.

XD45-1shot_zpsmclzbhey.jpg

Doubletaps for me with them are another story

XD45-DoubleTap_zps4ssgc3cv.jpg

I'm not gripping good enough, and my years in the making rifle competitor trigger prep is slow for fast pistol shooting when you give me a gun with a long trigger. If I try to push the pace like a pistol shooting guy, my shit goes hack.

Last edited:
Back