Think about this, if Lopez was more skilled than Loma

StopDucking

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
He would have knocked Lomachenko out cold.

He's already bigger, stronger, younger, a harder hitter, more explosive and just as fast despite being bigger.

If you add better skills to the list, Loma would be nothing but a sitting duck. But he wasn't, he won most of the second half of the fight and came closer to finishing Lopez than Lopez was to finishing him.

I had Lopez winning 8/12 rounds on the scorecard but let's not kid ourselves in thinking he is a better boxer than Loma. He is a very good boxer who compensated for his inferior skills with superior physical attributes and a smart gameplan.

For the majority of the rounds, Lopez was literally better at everything. He's a better boxer than Lomachenko.
Lomachenko landed nearly twice as many jabs and at a clip that was 3½ as accurate. He was also landing the sharper cleaner counters that were the most telling. Lopez wasn't able to land most of his usual sharp counters.

Oh, I get it. The number of rounds a boxer wins in a 12 rnd fight determines who the better boxer is. I thought it was just who I decided before the fight I wanted to win.
I Was just saying he outboxed the "master boxer" over the majority of 12 rounds.

Lomachenko landed nearly twice as many jabs and at a clip that was 3½ as accurate. He was also landing the sharper cleaner counters that were the most telling. Lopez wasn't able to land most of his usual sharp counters.
Lopez wasn't landing as many counters because Lomachenko wouldn't take any risks until 3/4 of the way through the fight. He knew he's be on his ass if he tried to Lopez what he did to his usual opponents.

how can you counter someone throwing no punches lol

also i would love to know when lomachenko was at any point close to finishing lopez

if that's true, why didn't loma start off like the 2nd half of the fight early on? because he knows lopez had a good chance to KO him.. Some of PAC's opponents were scared to engaged him because that's when Pac usually does the most damage..

I dont know who's being more salty about this, btw. Loma or some of his fans. Was honestly shocked Loma openly complained he thought he won. Come on, 420 fights and you can't tell when you've come up short? Well, I guess 3 losses overall, losing is probably hard to accept, but either way stop playing down the way Lopez took Loma's gold. He beat him UP.

Oh so now we are going to pretend that Loma's athleticism is non existent? Teo's athleticism negated Loma's and all that was pretty much left was a chess match that Teo won. Does Teo have as many wrinkles to his game as Loma no as he is young and has much more room to grow and evolve. But one things for sure Teo, had more than enough in his bag to outbox Loma the majority of the fight.

Lopez wasn't landing as many counters because Lomachenko wouldn't take any risks until 3/4 of the way through the fight. He knew he's be on his ass if he tried to Lopez what he did to his usual opponents.
Lopez was missing his rear uppercut constantly. It's not like he wasn't trying to land it along with several other hard counters. Lopez was clearly more hurt than Lomachenko in that fight. He'd been wobbled and his head was getting snapped back often by jabs & straight lefts. Lomachenko's work stood out much more than Lopez's did as far as clean connects and impactful shots are concerned. They were the more telling sharper shots in the fight.

I Was just saying he outboxed the "master boxer" over the majority of 12 rounds.
I was being sarcastic, not towards you but just basically what are people saying here is my question? Do we better determine the best boxer by means beyond a head to head matchup? That's usually the best measure of who's better unless it's a grotesque mismatch, but this was not that at all. Lopez really didnt need the size advantages, he pretty much diffused Loma and was complaining his skill level wasnt being considered in the prefight hype, so he clearly came in with something to prove and he did.

But let's not kid ourselves. We all know who the real better boxer is. :rolleyes:

Lopez was missing his rear uppercut constantly. It's not like he wasn't trying to land it along with several other hard counters. Lopez was clearly more hurt than Lomachenko in that fight. He'd been wobbled and his head was getting snapped back often by jabs & straight lefts. Lomachenko's work stood out much more than Lopez's did as far as clean connects and impactful shots are concerned. They were the more telling sharper shots in the fight.
35g6z1luo5l51.jpg

if that's true, why didn't loma start off like the 2nd half of the fight early on? because he knows lopez had a good chance to KO him.. Some of PAC's opponents were scared to engaged him because that's when Pac usually does the most damage..

Lopez has a Mexican style of fighting in that he has mastered the lead jab. The jab when mastered is the perfect tool to stop and offset an athletic quick outboxer who comes in and out. Athletic fighters who move in an out like clockwork need rhythm to get their timing down. However the momentum needed takes time itself, hard to do with an intelligent boxer who can reset you constantly with the jab. He also was hurting Loma early on with the body shots. I keep saying that long torso slavic fighters are weak in the body. Lopez could've finished Loma if he kept digging deep inside Loma's sweet and tight flesh. Slowly gaping him so we can all witness the beautiful entry and eventual migration.

Lopez didn't outjab Loma and he certainly didn't land the better counters. He neutralized him for the first half of the fight with his jab (without actually landing it) to keep him out and control the space but that was more on Loma simply refusing to risk getting inside while he was still fresh. That has more to do with what was coming behind/after the jab in the form of power shots.

Lopez didn't outjab Loma and he certainly didn't land the better counters. He neutralized him for the first half of the fight with his jab (without actually landing it) to keep him out and control the space but that was more on Loma simply refusing to risk getting inside while he was still fresh. That has more to do with what was coming behind/after the jab in the form of power shots.
you just said he got outjabbed and outcountered but with more words

you just said he got outjabbed and outcountered but with more words
Outjabbing someone is actually landing it. It's not controlling a fighter that's willing to stay on the outside until he's ready to accept the risks to get inside. We saw in the second half of the fight, once Lomachenko forced the issue, how effective Lopez's jab really was. He was able to close the gap and get inside pretty easily.

It’s always a matter of skills, physical attributes and tactical choices. Lopez certainly showed he did have some skills beyond his large frame and smart gameplan. He’s just a different boxer.

Back