Things to get stronger

ObsceneJester

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am new here (yes I visited the FAQ) and in Highschool I thought Bench was the only thing to get my upper strength stronger (misimformed obviously). I see people writing how you need to do Dead lifts and Squats to help with your Bench.. but bench is the lowest out of those three people need to worry about.

My question is I just want to get stronger. Is there any workout sessions I could do incorporating those three up there or just to get stronger. Also I know this part isn't in the right thread to do this in but it goes with my question, what should I eat to also to continue to get or maintain being strong

Thanks Sherdog

[sarcasm]I'm sorry, could you make that question more general.[/sarcasm]

I have heard it is not recomended to squat and deadlift ont he same day.

Many people neglect pullups, but this is a serious mistake. Properly weighted pullups are great and should not be undervalued.

Don't eat fast food. Eat more if you want to get bigger. Make sure to eat protein. Don't neglect fruits and vegetables.

Lift heavy things.

You could start trying a M/W/F powerlifting routine. Squat on mondays, bench on wednesday, and DL on fridays. The stickies are full of good info. Get lots of sleep. Smoke lots of pot (as per Carnal), and try to fucking swear a lot (as per Urban). Good luck.

I was wondering (yes I looked in the stickies) how do I do a rep set with Dead lifts? I never really got into them so I would love the help

pullups are one of the best overall strength exercises you can do, not to mention it hits just about everymuscle you can think of including your abs.

pullups are one of the best overall strength exercises you can do, not to mention it hits just about everymuscle you can think of including your abs. if i were to do one upper body workout, whether for strength or building muslce this would be it.

Haha I love high school weight training. Squat station = empty. Dumbells = collecting dust. The bench station however, is always filled up with kids, bench pressing as much as possible until the bell rings. Monday, wednesday and friday, hardly anything else. They base the opinion that whoever can bench the most, is the "strongest kid in the school" or something stupid like that. Theres a kid, a wrestler on our team, whos workout consists of a bench press, dumbell curls, and non-weighted sit-ups. He can bench 275, curls about 50 or 60 or something in each hand, and does like 100 sit ups as fast as he can, but cannot even squat 175 three times. Needless to say his record wasn't very good. >_>

ObsceneJester said:
I was wondering (yes I looked in the stickies) how do I do a rep set with Dead lifts? I never really got into them so I would love the help
^^^

FIGHT FAN said:
pullups are one of the best overall strength exercises you can do, not to mention it hits just about everymuscle you can think of including your abs. if i were to do one upper body workout, whether for strength or building muslce this would be it.

I like you.

ObsceneJester said:

Proper form is key. I don't pretend to know even half of what there is to know about deadlifting, but some important things I have learned are:
1) Do not rush them, especially if you are new. Bad form, sloppy deadlifts will hurt you bad as well as not give you the best workout.
2) Keep your back in a neutral position. Not arched and not rounded. I injured my back rounded style when I was doing something else and not thinkig, so when I did deads later, I arched, but I arched too much and threw my back out doing this. Neutral back position.
3) It is perfectly ok to take the time to adjust between each rep. Also, set the weight down between each rep.
4) Keep your weight on yours toes.
5) Pull the bar back. Keep your shoulders back.
6) If you have trouble keeping your grip (maybe sweaty hands) try having one hand grip in one direction and the toehr in the opposite direction. I have about the weakest hands int he world (seriously, like those of a 4 year old girl, still) and so I was failing on the grip at about 250 with very wet hands, I reversed one hand, and it held like steel.
7) My rep set of dealifts has plenty of pause between the reps, mostly so I can adjust and get my back perfect again. Maybe if I was really good I would need almost no pause, but I am not good so I take the few seconds to pause, take a couple breaths and then do another rep.

You don't HAVE to do squats and Deadlifts to get strong, sure those exercises rock (I myself am a Deadlift Junkie), but they're not mandatory. A lot of people get hurt on squats, even with proper form, they can be really hard on your knees and lower back. It's better to cut out a few exercises you don't like than to incorporate them even if you feel they're hurting you.

A couple of tips on not hurting yourself squatting/deadlifting:
Use a higher rep range
Warm up a lot
Stretch slowly for about 30 seconds after warm up, but before working set
Come down somewhat slowly
Don't HAVE to lock all the way out
Use good form (didn't read Hulk's post above, but it's not that complicated so he probably got it right

Try these two exercises for at least 6 months (that's about how long it took me to get into them).

Use weight that you can handle with proper form.

Then you cant get hurt no matter what. And dont overtrain.

and by the way, there is nothing really mandatory on weightlifting since its not something you have to do.

But if there are exercises that should be considered essential, squat and deadlift are one of them.

crazyaznfaggotry, jesus.

THEY ARE TOO MANDATORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think he's right Carnal, there are plenty of alternatives, like leg extensions and leg curls... :rolleyes:

CarnalSalvation said:
crazyaznfaggotry, jesus.

THEY ARE TOO MANDATORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my sweet Jesus... How many people do you know who blew out their legs on heavy squats? You may like them, but lord knows Leg Presses can be an effective replacement (though, they really need to build those things more sturdy and with more bars). It's that tough man, macho, I gotta work throught it, bullshit that gets people hurt. Some people don't respond well to squats, most do.

CrazyAZNRedneck said:
Oh my sweet Jesus... How many people do you know who blew out their legs on heavy squats? You may like them, but lord knows Leg Presses can be an effective replacement (though, they really need to build those things more sturdy and with more bars). It's that tough man, macho, I gotta work throught it, bullshit that gets people hurt. Some people don't respond well to squats, most do.

the answer is Box Squats:

Helps you get power out of the hole, and is easier on your knees with the full benefits of squats (i think).

Fedorable said:
the answer is Box Squats:

Helps you get power out of the hole, and is easier on your knees with the full benefits of squats (i think).

Agreed

Deadlifts are a must! No other exercise has improved my performance as much as the deadlift. Not to mention they can be done with very little space and all you need is a barbell with plates. I moved in January to a place with REALLY low ceilings but I still had a corner in the living room to do deads with my cunty old bar!!

i am going through an intersting training phase in the last 2 month where i did nothing but bodyweight exrcise. before that i used to do alot of deadlifts,squats, bench press, OHS, overheadpress etc.

i stoped with the weights because of a lower back injery caused by wrong techniqe on the dumbell swing.

i work out about 5-6 times a week for about 1 hour. i run about 2-3 miles at the begining and then i do body weight stuff. a reguler work out will consist of a 100 pull ups, 200-300 push ups, many many sqauts, single leg squats( about 5x5 each leg), one arm push ups, handstand push ups, muslces ups on the pull up bars, dips, L sits and so on.

i can say that i dont feel as strong like before, although i havent lost any muslce and i weight about the same. i feel like my grip has gotten stronger, my upper back has gotten stronger and bigger, my chest has gotten weaker with out the bench, and my postier chain has gotten weaker as well.

i feel like you can still get very strong through body weight exricse, espcailly the lower reps ones like single leg squats, single hand push ups, muscle ups, pull ups, handstand push ups but all of those just have to be suplmented with at least 1 big lift like the deadlift.
once my back will heal i dont think i will lift as much as before, but rather lift twice a week deadlift and weighted pull ups on one day and squats and bench on the other.

Back