Thing I've noticed about TMA and "purity"

I think its just human nature. Judoka can fall into the trap of purity of techniques (most competition throws aren't particularly pure, especially when you get to high level). BJJ'ers can fall into the trap of purity of lineage (Maeda->Carlson-> ...) etc.

The "purity" aspect of TMA is just part of its culture. Every martial art community has its own culture. MMA, BJJ, Wrestling, etc all have culture distinct to them.

When it comes to Japanese TMA's (not Judo, real TMA's) it is all about historical preservation. That's one of the reasons there are so many flowery names and techniques to differentiate one family style from the next. Lineage is/was important to them for historical reasons.

Pre-MMA martial arts in America used lineage to denote applicability (since there were no cross art competitions) which is not what lineage was originally intended for. If Joe Bob Smith learned the deadly ninja secrets directly from a Japanese master, then he said his ninjutsu was the most deadly in America and he got more money, er I mean students.

At the same time in BJJ there is a bit of hypocrisy. BJJ folks go on and on about how if you want to know who has the best BJJ, go to a tournament. But at the same time, look at the signature lines on this forum alone. Everyone wants to show some short direct line connection from them to either Maeda or Carlos or Helio.

You can't dog the TMA'er for purity and lineage and then put your BJJ "family tree" in bold in your sig line :)

When it comes to Japanese TMA's (not Judo, real TMA's) it is all about historical preservation. That's one of the reasons there are so many flowery names and techniques to differentiate one family style from the next. Lineage is/was important to them for historical reasons.

Pre-MMA martial arts in America used lineage to denote applicability (since there were no cross art competitions) which is not what lineage was originally intended for. If Joe Bob Smith learned the deadly ninja secrets directly from a Japanese master, then he said his ninjutsu was the most deadly in America and he got more money, er I mean students.

At the same time in BJJ there is a bit of hypocrisy. BJJ folks go on and on about how if you want to know who has the best BJJ, go to a tournament. But at the same time, look at the signature lines on this forum alone. Everyone wants to show some short direct line connection from them to either Maeda or Carlos or Helio.

You can't dog the TMA'er for purity and lineage and then put your BJJ "family tree" in bold in your sig line :)

Sure you can! Pride in lineage in BJJ is directly related to effectiveness, because certain BJJ lineages produce more notable fighters than others. My lineage, for example, is through Gordo and the original Gracie Barra. Tons of champs share a lineage very close to mine, which I think is both cool and a testament to the effectiveness of our style in BJJ competition. It would be no different than a wrestler who went to Iowa being proud of that fact because he got to wrestle at one of the premier programs in the country. Sure, ultimately his own competition success would determine his skill level as my own success reveals mine, but he still went to Iowa and got to be part of that successful culture and style which is worth something on its own. Same with BJJ, Muay Thai, Judo, any of the competitive martial arts. It's only when lineage becomes totally detached from any vestige of competition or testing that it becomes meaningless as anything other than a historical curiosity or money making scheme (in the case of some TMA guys).

I'm sure I learned some technique in Japanese Jujutsu that some dude used successfully in some land war in the Edo-period in Japan, but I ain't bragging about it :)

Back