thigh teep defense

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
This works for the teep to the thigh, would not work in a oblique kick though due to the horizontal position of the foot. For an oblique kick, this move would probably make the kick worse.

It's so simple but sometimes hard to do in the heat of the moment.

This works for the teep to the thigh, would not work in a oblique kick though due to the horizontal position of the foot. For an oblique kick, this move would probably make the kick worse.

This will only work on fighters spamming the thigh teeps, anyone that is good with timing is using it to intercept you putting load on that front leg for whatever reason.....

This will only work on fighters spamming the thigh teeps, anyone that is good with timing is using it to intercept you putting load on that front leg for whatever reason.....

I agree, which kind of goes back to my point of stuff that works in theory, but is not practical during a fight.

I have used this move play sparring with buddies, I dont think it is a effective technique to be used in a fight.

Come on, really? I've watched countless fights from the Thai stadiums and I've yet to see thigh teeps defended this way. Probably because it doesn't work. With the Thais, there's 3 main methods; pull the lead leg back to make the kick miss, lift the leg to check, or brace the lead leg into the kick to either stop it dead or make it glance off. Why is this Muay Thai Youtuber showing a technique that's not even used in Muay Thai, or any other sport I know of for that matter?

Even in Savate where they use more push kicks, side kicks, and even jumping kicks to the thigh & knee than you can think of, they don't defend like this, at least, not that I've seen. This is a sport which has an entire system for kicking the knee & thigh, not surprisingly, they also have an effective defence for it or else countless thousands of kids would be getting their knees broken, which clearly doesn't happen.

If you want to learn how to defend thigh teeps and other push kicks to the knee, you need to look at Savate where all the methods have been tested & proven to work in a live combat environment for well over 100 years.

It's a simple concept, if you want to learn how to use or technique, you go to the sport which specializes in it. Want to know how to use & defend punches? Study boxing. Push kicks to the knee & thigh? Savate. You don't go to some TKD bro to learn punching.

Come on, really? I've watched countless fights from the Thai stadiums and I've yet to see thigh teeps defended this way. Probably because it doesn't work. With the Thais, there's 3 main methods; pull the lead leg back to make the kick miss, lift the leg to check, or brace the lead leg into the kick to either stop it dead or make it glance off. Why is this Muay Thai Youtuber showing a technique that's not even used in Muay Thai, or any other sport I know of for that matter?

Even in Savate where they use more push kicks, side kicks, and even jumping kicks to the thigh & knee than you can think of, they don't defend like this, at least, not that I've seen. This is a sport which has an entire system for kicking the knee & thigh, not surprisingly, they also have an effective defence for it or else countless thousands of kids would be getting their knees broken, which clearly doesn't happen.

If you want to learn how to defend thigh teeps and other push kicks to the knee, you need to look at Savate where all the methods have been tested & proven to work in a live combat environment for well over 100 years.

It's a simple concept, if you want to learn how to use or technique, you go to the sport which specializes in it. Want to know how to use & defend punches? Study boxing. Push kicks to the knee & thigh? Savate. You don't go to some TKD bro to learn punching.

Savate is a style I always wanted to learn but it's not so popular in America. To my understanding some savate fighters are more dangerous than thai fighters is that right?

This. There are tried, true, proven methods of avoiding kicks to the knees.

Checking. Lateral movement. Switch stepping. It's all been done before. It's baffling to me that we're still having this discussion on F11, when UFC fighters have already worked out how to deal with it. That video is awful. Shane Fazen has a much better video of how to deal with it.

This is effective for both types of kicks to the thigh - I don't like that knee turn that Damon Faulkner does for ANYTHING. If you did that and got caught it could twist your knee further.

Savate is a style I always wanted to learn but it's not so popular in America. To my understanding some savate fighters are more dangerous than thai fighters is that right?

They kick with shoes on. That's manly.

17 minutes in they show a bending knee defence to a very unusual kick that is kind of like an oblique kick but not quite

Both are individual sports, every fighter is different so it's variable

17 minutes in they show a bending knee defence to a very unusual kick that is kind of like an oblique kick but not quite

That's got to hurt. Shoes plus a really good oblique kick that shit will break your knee.

Never, the Savate is much less efficient than the Muaythai.
In all the historical comfroto between Savete and Muaythai. Savete was defeated.

The defense shown in the video of Shane Fazen and much more efficient!

The problem is that this strike, is often throw as a defensive one, meaning that the opponent is advancing. It's easy to defend it if you are just sitting there and wait for it. But you wont be able to side step or check it while you are entering the kicking range.

It's a chassé to the leg aka a low chassé.

not sure if this was directed at me or just in general? but I agree that the move is not practical for fighting. I have used it screwing around in sparring. Its not practical for a fight. its theory vs reality.... Theres alot of techniques that work in theory, and in training, but would not in a fight. Analyzing things may be simple, such as "duck" when the punch comes. or "switch" when the thigh teep comes. But in reailty, it is much easier said than done.

That being said, I have used this technique of making them miss the thigh teep in very light thai sparring/playing around, and it worked. So its not impossible for it to be done in a fight, but highly unlikely.

Teeping the thigh is something I practice regularly on the bag, my homemade wall mount box has thai pads along it as well, so i can teep leg/body/head on it.

also not sure if you know who "muaythaiminute" is, but his videos are really old. He is one of the first guys to put out a successful youtube techniques series, and is pretty much one of the guys that kicked off the whole thing. The majority of his videos are great, practical, and effective techniques.

thats exactly right....."all you gotta do is duck when the punch comes", much easier said than done.

Their are times when I was sparring muay thai style and the instructor would tell me after I was catching the kick and threw it and leg kicked my partner. They would tell me pull him in, but I would be in the heat of the moment. A lot of things are easier said than done.

Their are times when I was sparring muay thai style and the instructor would tell me after I was catching the kick and threw it and leg kicked my partner. They would tell me pull him in, but I would be in the heat of the moment. A lot of things are easier said than done.

thats exactly right, the majority of people that dont fight or train dont understand that and will become the arm chair critics......he should have done this, he should have done that, I would have done this, I would have done that........when in reality no you wouldnt have done this and that, because if you would do this and that, you would be up there doing it, not watching from the sideline critiquing people captain hindsight.

When you are watching, it looks so much easier than it is, and its much easier to see the openings on someone or flaw of someone, but when your in there, its much more difficult to spot those things.

there are many more counters to catching the leg khan....in general once the leg is caught, you want to either pull him in and punch, or push him away and kick...........pull and punch.......push and kick.

When people talk shit to you that havent fought, remember this quote.

20953843_1718363148458523_831149306461032658_n.jpg

thats exactly right, the majority of people that dont fight or train dont understand that and will become the arm chair critics......he should have done this, he should have done that, I would have done this, I would have done that........when in reality no you wouldnt have done this and that, because if you would do this and that, you would be up there doing it, not watching from the sideline critiquing people captain hindsight.

When you are watching, it looks so much easier than it is, and its much easier to see the openings on someone or flaw of someone, but when your in there, its much more difficult to spot those things.

there are many more counters to catching the leg khan....in general once the leg is caught, you want to either pull him in and punch, or push him away and kick...........pull and punch.......push and kick.

When people talk shit to you that havent fought, remember this quote.

20953843_1718363148458523_831149306461032658_n.jpg

Amen this is very true. If I lose a fight I'll still be satisfied because of the effort I put in coming up to the fight.

Amen this is very true. If I lose a fight I'll still be satisfied because of the effort I put in coming up to the fight.

winning or loosing a fight does not matter. Having the courage to step into the ring is what matters.

Also, once you start fighting, whether you win or loose, your going to fight again. Fight and win, fight again....fight and loose, fight again.....it does not matter, with each and every fight, you will improve, regardless of the outcome.

Back