They were 1 win away from a title shot but never came close again

EricaLovesUFC

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Mark Munoz is one that comes to mind, probably would have fought Silva had he beat Weidman. Dude became an afterthought after losing to Weidman.

Who else?

TJ Grant isn't what you're thinking of but the thread made me think of him and now I'm sad.

Dude actually won his title eliminator, wrecking Gray Maynard in a little over 2 minutes (at that time Gray had only lost one other fight) but had to decline the title fight due to ongoing concussion symptoms.

Hasn't fought since.

grant.png

Melvin Guillard. Too bad Lauzon smoked him in a 30 seconds.

I’ll never forget that walk out. So embarrassing.

Cool thread btw

Mark Hunt when he got KO'ed by Werdum.

They were even fighting over an Interim Championship if I recall.

Pete Sell is another one who comes to mind. Would have fought Rich Franklin had he beaten Nate Quarry.

Lmao Dana made sure Fitch was never gonna get another shot.

Jacare was the first guy to come to mind, just awful timing for him. Probably Volkov too having that KTFO moment when he was probably a second away from a match with DC the way things played out. Probably the same for Blaydes losing that rematch stuck him back in line.

Josh Thomson. I seem to remember him getting a title shot and not being able to fight.

Leben before he met <BC1>.

Maybe best UFC debut ever too
Anderson was so godly after that

Julianna Pena. Should've gotten the Nunes fight but Ronda got it because of politics. Pena fought Schevchenko instead and lost. Then she got oregnapr and her title shot (and career) went away .

Florian

Jim Miller

Nate marquardt came close a couple times after his first shot

Bisping until he finally got it

Back