There NEEDS To Be Stricter Consequences For Grabbing The Fence

Take away the fence, lift the cage up 30 feet.
No more fence-grabbing.

A few more points should be lost but really given that so much of the UFC's rules and judging is clearly bias towards wrestling I can't say its an issue that worries me much.

The best way to adress this issue is to make it impossible to grab the fence. This is done by removing the fence and replacing it with hardened plastic. This will give the audience a better view of the fight as well.

Well they could just allow it all together.

Or use some kind of transparent flexible plastic or rubber.

Take away the fence, lift the cage up 30 feet.
No more fence-grabbing.

lol

mortal kombat?

200px-Mortal_Kombat_Logo.svg.png

fighter will fall to their doom

or they can do the dragonball tournament ring

Tournament_ring.jpg

608204-Tournament.jpg

Well they could just allow it all together.

Or use some kind of transparent flexible plastic or rubber.

Is either of those going to have the strenght needed though?

Personally I'd like to see someone try to expand on the old Brazilian "ring + cord mesh" fighting area we saw in say some IVC events.

I think that if you say increased the height of the ropes to 5-6 feet and then had cord mesh between every rope you could have a very effective solution. The extra give in the ropes/cord would mean that grabbing them would be a much less effective way to block a takedown plus it would also mean that dull cage clinching was much harder to pull off and fighters would have more give to push agenst to shift position for subs/escapes near to it.

Something like a this with an extra rope above although obviously the cords wouldnt be as thick when not photoshoped in...

1086829116_6be25615fa.jpg

http://cfweb.net/mixed-martial-arts/do-you-think-the-cage-is-bad-for-mixed-martial-arts

Why not just electrify the fence so that the fighters get a small electric shock :)

Ok might not work since there is incidental contact also... but maybe someone could get a patent on a fence that would be able to detect a grab vs a rub :)

Ok just kidding :)

I remember Hector Lombard fought some of his older fights on a big round thing that had no fences or ropes. That'd be pretty cool, especially if it was surrounded by water with alligators in it.

Just make fence-grabbing legal and let MMA evolve with this in play.

Taking away a point can completely change the fight also.
If you take points right away, then it will cause more draws and fighters who won fights would lose them based on reaction based mistakes that had no outcome on the fight. Like a fighter being way superior on the ground and was winning the fight there while being on his back a few times and was handling it well. I rather it be an IF AND BUT then a definite .

Last edited:
Just make fence-grabbing legal and let MMA evolve with this in play.
No, that's far too one-sided of a thing. It hurts takedowns enormously, but doesn't help them in any way.

Sure, there were a lot of people that complained about that the walls of the cage helped wrestlers get the TD, but that was only uneducated people talking and I think most have seen that it works both ways.

No, that's far too one-sided of a thing. It hurts takedowns enormously, but doesn't help them in any way.

Sure, there were a lot of people that complained about that the walls of the cage helped wrestlers get the TD, but that was only uneducated people talking and I think most have seen that it works both ways.

Can't believe people are actually saying that.

Get the fuck outta here with this bullshit. EVERYTHING in MMA is not natrual. Keeping your hands up isn't natural, keeping your chin tucked isn't natural. That doesn't mean shit. If you take away a point the first time they do it, it won't become so "natural" anymore.

So standing up, walking around, trying to dodge a punch... none of those are natural? You shut the fuck up with your bullshit. When people are in danger of falling down the natural reaction is to try to prevent it from happening. It's not natural to just let yourself be chucked to the ground, so fucking relax.

b0WQR.gif

Mendes could have taken his back. And he didn't get him nearly as high in the air the second time, partly because Aldo grabbed the fence. I can't find the GIF.

Here it is. at 5:08, about 5 seconds before the KO, he grabs the cage to get against it.

This is why I want a Mendes rematch

The orange card, a small fine for each grab. 3 orange cards and you lose a point. ?

That's way too lenient. A striker facing a grappler could egregiously cheat twice with no consequence under that system.

Do it once in a round, warning. Do it twice, then point deduction. Repeat procedure in every round.

Back