There NEEDS To Be Stricter Consequences For Grabbing The Fence

youngsteinel

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I mean this can REALLY change the outcome of a fight. JDS grabbed the fence 10+ times (I counted 12). Thankfully, it didn't effect the outcome of the fight. But with other fights, it can change the outcome. For example, it changed the Aldo vs. Mendes fight. I am not saying Mendes would have won, but DIRECTLY after Aldo grabbed the cage, he won via TKO. It could have been a different fight. He should have gotten a point taken or other measures. What do you guys think should be done when someone lifts someone in the air and the guy grabs the fence to get his feet back under him?

b0WQR.gif

35pzmf.jpg

sherk.jpg

hi-res-6888890_display_image.jpg

fedor-emelianenko_matt-lindland.gif

Last edited:
Exactly. There is often just blatant things that are illegal that greatly affect the fight that have no consequences. I can handle one nut shot getting a warning but one fence grab, short grab, or eye poke and it should be an immediate point deduction and restart in the same position.

Mma is the one sport you can blatantly chest and have no repercussion

The Aldo/Mendes fence grab was egregious. It likely Mendes would have survived the first round had Aldo not grabbed the fence. And most people just pretend like it never happened.

Travis Browne/Big Foot was another example of blatant fence grabbing.

Taking a point wouldn't do anything because he was down by so much it didn't matter. So grabbing the cage isn't a bad strategy at that point. I'm not sure what they should do.

yeah herb kep t saying don't grab the fence or i'll take a point i was like ok then stop saying it and do it 9x's later still just saying it..

If you fence grab while in a dominate position you immediately lose that position and following fence grabs result in point deductions.

If you fence grab while not in a dominate position once the fight is able to be paused you immediately lose a point.

Taking a point wouldn't do anything because he was down by so much it didn't matter. So grabbing the cage isn't a bad strategy at that point. I'm not sure what they should do.

They can restart the fight on the ground with the fighter who grabbed the fence on the bottom.

Made me laugh in the 5th when Herb said he's take a point, like that matters.

As for Aldo/Mendes, you're wrong. After the fence grab Mendes done the exact same technique which put Aldo down to his knee - he bounced straight back up and KO'd him 15 seconds later.

The orange card, a small fine for each grab. 3 orange cards and you lose a point. ?

I don't disagree, but he was so behind on the scorecards that a point deduction would make no difference and there would be no reason not to do it anyway barring a DQ, which I don't think anyone would have wanted. In other close fights I think a there should be a bigger consequence if holding the fence stops a takedown. I'm not sure what tbh though. Do you automatically deduct a point? Do you put them on the ground with the guy attempting a takedown on top in half guard? There has to be a solution but it's a tough problem to solve.

its called instinct .. take a point or not people will bitch for ever.

i think part of jds grabbing the fence so much last night was that he just got rocked so bad and hit so many times. im sure after being hit like that, you are not thinking 100% clearly. he looked like a zombie for almost the entire fight

[QUOTE="Rush";77843147]Made me laugh in the 5th when Herb said he's take a point, like that matters.

As for Aldo/Mendes, you're wrong. After the fence grab Mendes done the exact same technique which put Aldo down to his knee - he bounced straight back up and KO'd him 15 seconds later.[/QUOTE]

b0WQR.gif

Mendes could have taken his back. And he didn't get him nearly as high in the air the second time, partly because Aldo grabbed the fence. I can't find the GIF.

Here it is. at 5:08, about 5 seconds before the KO, he grabs the cage to get against it.

They should make the mesh of the fence smaller or just make grabbing the fence legal.

There just needs to be consistent reffing and point-deduction for things like this.

[QUOTE="Rush";77843147]Made me laugh in the 5th when Herb said he's take a point, like that matters.

As for Aldo/Mendes, you're wrong. After the fence grab Mendes done the exact same technique which put Aldo down to his knee - he bounced straight back up and KO'd him 15 seconds later.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. At that point you should be willing to grab the fence all you want because you're gonna need a finish to win, anyway. I like the suggestion that if someone repeatedly grabs the fence then the ref should separate the fighters and have them restart on the ground, with the fence grabber on the bottom. Full guard for the first time (after warnings of course), half guard if it happens again, full mount for anymore repeat offenses.

Back