There is only ONE style to fight in for short limbed fighters

Kemeticsoul

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
If you're a short man with short limbs, there's only one way you can be successful striking. Only ONE way. But if you are fast enough, with enough pop and over all skill, you have one of the best styles........

This has been true going back to the dawn of striking. Everyone should have learned by watching Marciano, Frazier and Mike Tyson.

Head movement, footwork and endurance. Endurance is a MUST. It takes a lot of endurance to bend, crouch, bob and weave out of the way of punches for minutes on end. You need to get inside of punches and land your own.

Garbrandt proved this theory correct once again. There's many examples. Why all fighters with short stature and short limbs don't fight with the bob and weave style is beyond me. It's also one of the most effective ways to strike.

Longer limbed fighters have a habit of putting their lead hand out to find range and to set up other punches of course, but this gives a short limbed fighter with decent depth perception a perfect gauge for their attack. Also, a short limbed fighter should never extend their fists unless punching, so as to give their opponent a harder time finding the distance.

Footwork is absolutely essential for a T-rex man. Without powerful and adept footwork you will NEVER, and I repeat NEVER, be successful in striking.

Manny Pacauiao should be studied for explosive small step footwork. Exploding to get inside and the speed of foot to create awkward angles on the inside, and then stepping out of range. In and out, side to side. You won't always have the luxury of being out of distance if you're a short limbed fighter, and that's why the bob and weave style is essential. Mike Tyson should be your text book for that.

Combine footwork, bob and weave and endurance and if you've got the tools to have an advantage over long limbed fighters.

With this style, jabs become less import, hooker cuts, hooks and uppercuts are your forte. Stick with that.

Shorter limbed fighters also have a huge advantage for inside striking.

Make no mistake about it: this is the ONLY way for a short limbed boxer/striker to become GREAT and overcome his long limbed foes. People with short build and short limbs should never fight another way. If I was a coach I would kick anyone out with that body style NOT fighting that way. It should be mandatory.

Just remember Manny Pacauiao, Mike Tyson and Joe Frazier. It's all that you need to be successful. And of course, a McGOD-like fight IQ.

Speaking of McGOD - and I say this as a huge fan - give me someone like Garbrandt to DRILL this philosophy into his head, and within a year of training in this way, he could outstrike Conor.

This thread was blessed upon all upcoming short stature/limbed fighters all over the world.

You. Are. Welcome.

You are right.

100% right. Could even dive deeper into it but short guys have to do what you said (and more).

Despite all the trolling, Mike Perry is a short welter that makes good use of the inside game and gets brutal KO's...

Shame he has 0 footwork and head movement, but at least part of what he has to do, he does right...

Jesus fucking christ pffff...... never saw that vid... and to think he was a HW... dayum.

He used to beast way bigger fighters with way longer reach. Cus Damato recognized this.

There is no other way for his body type. Hell, look at Manny Pac as he moved up in weight.

You need a strong body and extra emphasis needs to be put on building feet, calf and leg strength.

Nothing can be sacrificed if you have this
Body type, unlike some naturally skilled, long fighters, but it's a lie to tell fighters that they're at a disadvantage. The truth is, they have the advantage, but more effort is required.

If Tyson had the focus and dedication like he did during his rising early years, he would be recognized around the world as boxing GOAT. He was close.

He used to beast way bigger fighters with way longer reach. Cus Damato recognized this.

There is no other way for his body type. Hell, look at Manny Pac as he moved up in weight.

You need a strong body and extra emphasis needs to be put on building feet, calf and left strength.

Nothing can be sacrificed if you have this
Body type, unlike some naturally skilled, long fighters, but it's a lie to tell fighters that they're at a disadvantage. The truth is, they have the advantage, but more effort is required.

If Tyson had the focus and dedication like he did during his rising early years, he would be recognized around the world as boxing GOAT. He was close.

Agreed and awesome thread btw. I have pretty long limbs (6'2 and 220lbs) and used to have the most problems with short fighters who fought like that. I always liked to size up with my lead hand and then go for a quick straight or 1-2, that didn't work with a small guy who was just dancing around me and ducking in and out while throwing some shots.

At the same time i also struggled with way taller fighters (you had some lanky mofo's walking around my gym) since i wasn't used to fighting like that myself.

You explained my problem perfectly in the OP from the smaller guy's perspective. Great insight.

Agreed and awesome thread btw. I have pretty long limbs (6'2 and 220lbs) and used to have the most problems with short fighters who fought like that. I always liked to size up with my lead hand and then go for a quick straight or 1-2, that didn't work with a small guy who was just dancing around me and ducking in and out while throwing some shots.

At the same time i also struggled with way taller fighters (you had some lanky mofo's walking around my gym) since i wasn't used to fighting like that myself.

You explained my problem perfectly in the OP from the smaller guy's perspective. Great insight.

Thanks. You are too kind. I'll make sure to put you on the list of non trollable posters.

If you're a short man with short limbs, there's only one way you can be successful striking. Only ONE way. But if you are fast enough, with enough pop and over all skill, you have one of the best styles........

This has been true going back to the dawn of striking. Everyone should have learned by watching Marciano, Frazier and Mike Tyson.

Head movement, footwork and endurance. Endurance is a MUST. It takes a lot of endurance to bend, crouch, bob and weave out of the way of punches for minutes on end. You need to get inside of punches and land your own.

Garbrandt proved this theory correct once again. There's many examples. Why all fighters with short stature and short limbs don't fight with the bob and weave style is beyond me. It's also one of the most effective ways to strike.

Longer limbed fighters have a habit of putting their lead hand out to find range and to set up other punches of course, but this gives a short limbed fighter with decent depth perception a perfect gauge for their attack. Also, a short limbed fighter should never extend their fists unless punching, so as to give their opponent a harder time finding the distance.

Footwork is absolutely essential for a T-rex man. Without powerful and adept footwork you will NEVER, and I repeat NEVER, be successful in striking.

Manny Pacauiao should be studied for explosive small step footwork. Exploding to get inside and the speed of foot to create awkward angles on the inside, and then stepping out of range. In and out, side to side. You won't always have the luxury of being out of distance if you're a short limbed fighter, and that's why the bob and weave style is essential. Mike Tyson should be your text book for that.

Combine footwork, bob and weave and endurance and if you've got the tools to have an advantage over long limbed fighters.

With this style, jabs become less import, hooker cuts, hooks and uppercuts are your forte. Stick with that.

Make no mistake about it: this is the ONLY way for a short limbed boxer/striker to become GREAT and overcome his long limbed foes. People with short build and short limbs should never fight another way. If I was a coach I would kick anyone out with that body style NOT fighting that way. It should be mandatory.

Just remember Manny Pacauiao, Mike Tyson and Joe Frazier. It's all that you need to be successful. And of course, a McGOD-like fight IQ.

Speaking of McGOD - and I say this as a huge fan - give me someone like Garbrandt to DRILL this philosophy into his head, and within a year of training in this way, he could outstrike Conor.

This thread was blessed upon all upcoming short stature/limbed fighters all over the world.

You. Are. Welcome.
What about iron chin style?

What about iron chin style?

Even better if you have that in conjunction with the other attributes/style. Relying solely on a granite chin isn't smart. Water cracks everything given enough persistence and time.

Plus the goal is avoiding brain damage.

Someone send this thread to Cody Garbrandt. This seed could make him 135/145 GOAT.

You need a strong body and extra emphasis needs to be put on building feet, calf and leg strength.

So you are saying my favorite short-armed, thick-legged fighter has a chance?

Garbrandt isn't a short BW. If we're judging Garbandt's style against Cruz, he has very little in common stylistically with Tyson, Frazier, Marciano, or Pacquiao (I'd even argue that there are some very considerable stylitic differences among those four before even comparing them to Garbrandt). Sure, he has very good boxing craft for MMA, but those aren't the stylistic comparisons I'd think of. He was moving on the backfoot, letting Cruz come to him, and then looking to counter for the most part in their fight. If you wanted a stylistic comparison, someone like Carl Frampton when he's looking to box and counter would have some similarities (as he did against Santa Cruz and Quigg for the most part).

You. Are. Welcome.

You're right.

I mean really, it comes down to the same thing regardless of if you're the shorter, or longer fighter. Just in opposite fashions. Distance control. The longer guy is trying to keep the opponent at the end of the punch, the shorter guy is trying to get inside it. But moral of the story, distance control. The one who better dictates that distance, lands their preferred shots more often than not. We've seen plenty of cases of both being successful.

Well, Marciano had the shortest wingspan of any heavyweight champ...and he was the only to retire (and stay retired) undefeated.

Back