Theory on Jon Jones Record and LHW Landscape

Sensemaker

White Belt
Reaction score
Theory on Jon Jones wins as LHW Champion,
I wonder if his situation is kind of like Arlovski and Sylvia towards the end of their reigns, where the quality of the contenders was just not that good for the most part. Looking at Jones' wins, Sonnen didn't belong in there fighting him, neither did Belfort, Shogun is years removed from his prime, Glover only beat Quinton Jackson, (far removed from his prime as well) Ryan Bader and James Te Huna- I don't think Glover was top notch contender material. Rashad was a solid contender at the time, but since has lost to little Nog, not looked great against Hendo, spanked Chael and now hasn't fought since 2013. Quinton went on to lose to Ryan Bader and Glover after fighting Jon Jones, then went to Bellator to fight a few cans. I think Jones' credible victories are Lyoto Machida (who belongs at 185) and Gus so far as champion. All of his wins prove he's extremely talented, but to say he's beaten the "who's who" at 205 is a stretch I believe, because the division is at a real weak point. Jones and Gus are leaps and bounds ahead of the rest, now with Cormier in the mix hopefully too.

Do not mistake this post for me saying Jones is not talented. He clearly is highly skilled. The Machida and Gus fight showcase his talent and durability, but in my mind though when looking at his wins, not many of them were really solid contenders to begin with, which leaves me with more questions than answers about Jon Jones against elite heavyweights and Cormier this weekend.

Thoughts? Please only constructive. Save the Jones hater or TS is retarded or one line grade school education level responses.

Machida also couldn't hang at lh and had to move down.

over half of jones opponents have lost to MWs. You cant say that about any other champion.

Who do you think he should have been fighting at 205 so we could say he's beaten the "who's who", TS?

A couple good wins at heavyweight and ill consider jones in goat talk.

I agree with the fights the UFC chose completely, and it's no fault of Jon Jones who the UFC put him against. There was surely a lack of options though for a lot of those fights.

How was shogun out of his prime, he was the champ. You can discredit anyone's record if you want to. Who at lhw can claim to have a better record?

He's beaten 4 of the previous 5 light heavyweight champions in the UFC...

Shogun's last best fight was against Machida at their rematch. He has not seen his prime form since then. I'm just looking at his record since. Jones has the best record, and beat the best they had to offer. But again, Jackson out of prime, Shogun out of prime, Machida sure didn't have belt long and belongs at 185, Rashad has not been consistent. Not discrediting Jones at all here, I'm only saying the contenders have not been anywhere near his level of prime/talent. Only Gus.

Who do you think he should have been fighting at 205 so we could say he's beaten the "who's who", TS?

Chuck Liddell, Randy Couture, Tito Ortiz

Jones' dad ducked them all for Jones by pulling out too many times.

I can name many dozens of fighters who have gone down in weight class over the years.

Does this make Cruz's wins over Mighty Mouse, McCall, Jorgensen and Benavidez not legit?

Aldo's win over Faber and Gamburyan?

Is Pettis even worse since both his losses are from featherweights? Is his win over Stephens not legit?

Are Bendo's wins over Edgar worth nothing?

Weidman's win over Maia?

Werdum's win over Overeem, since he is clearly a middleweight IYO?

All our champs have also beaten fighters who are ''past their prime''. Do you want me to name them? (example: Weidman also beat a clearly past his prime Silva. Since Jones beat a ''past his prime'' Machida, Weidman beat a ''super past his prime'' Machida.)

For a guy named Sensemaker, you make no sense at all TS.

Last edited:
Machida also couldn't hang at lh and had to move down.

over half of jones opponents have lost to MWs. You cant say that about any other champion.

You can do that to every fighter. Gus has wins over weak competition/cans and people jones also beat. AJ lost to belfort and koscheck, quite weak

How was shogun out of his prime, he was the champ. You can discredit anyone's record if you want to. Who at lhw can claim to have a better record?

The win against Gus was legit..... except gus's only top win is against the same over the hill not a good win shogun. After Jones did it.

Discrediting fighters is really easy.

It's a well know fact TS. Most of the posters knew at the time that Rampages title-shot was bs, don't even get me started with Sonnen's.

Oh its just another Bro's Pick thread.

Theory on Jon Jones wins as LHW Champion,
I wonder if his situation is kind of like Arlovski and Sylvia towards the end of their reigns, where the quality of the contenders was just not that good for the most part. Looking at Jones' wins, Sonnen didn't belong in there fighting him, neither did Belfort, Shogun is years removed from his prime, Glover only beat Quinton Jackson, (far removed from his prime as well) Ryan Bader and James Te Huna- I don't think Glover was top notch contender material. Rashad was a solid contender at the time, but since has lost to little Nog, not looked great against Hendo, spanked Chael and now hasn't fought since 2013. Quinton went on to lose to Ryan Bader and Glover after fighting Jon Jones, then went to Bellator to fight a few cans. I think Jones' credible victories are Lyoto Machida (who belongs at 185) and Gus so far as champion. All of his wins prove he's extremely talented, but to say he's beaten the "who's who" at 205 is a stretch I believe, because the division is at a real weak point. Jones and Gus are leaps and bounds ahead of the rest, now with Cormier in the mix hopefully too.

Do not mistake this post for me saying Jones is not talented. He clearly is highly skilled. The Machida and Gus fight showcase his talent and durability, but in my mind though when looking at his wins, not many of them were really solid contenders to begin with, which leaves me with more questions than answers about Jon Jones against elite heavyweights and Cormier this weekend.

Thoughts? Please only constructive. Save the Jones hater or TS is retarded or one line grade school education level responses.

Nope. 205 was largely regarded as the deepest division in the UFC when Jones started his rise. He's probably faces the toughest competition out of all the champs. When he faced Shogun, sherdog thought shogun was going to wipe the floor with him. Machida was an awsome fighter who people expected to rule the LHW division. Rampage was not long removed from being a UFC champion when they fought. Rashad should be a top fighter in everyones book. Gus is an absolute beast and DC may be his toughest match so far. An absolute murderers row of contenders

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back