Theoretical routine. Need advice

omgitsrick

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes I know I will probably be flamed for this but I'm willing to take it. So far from reading S&P I have learned alot about lifting, and even though I still barely know anything I'm alot better off because of what I've learned. So here I have a question on a theoretical striking/mma in general routine. From what I've learned the best exercises for real functional strength are squats, deadlifts, cleans, and other such exercises. And while upperbody stuff is great, those are even more important in terms of generating power. Now I wanted to try my hand at competitive wrestling at school. It's obviously in weightclasses and I thought to myself what kind of lifting would help me most with this. So heres the question.

Could I do just mainly squats, deadlifts, cleans, and core work for lifting, and not really lift for upperbody. To me it seems that you can't NOT lift for your legs because they are so important (as is upperbody, don't get me wrong), but your upperbody benefits alot from just wrestling practice in general. This way I wouldn't gain any bulk on my upperbody and remain as low a weight as possible. This might be retarded, and I honestly don't know, I'm a novice to wrestling and I'm gonna ask the coach too, I just thought of this randomly. If anyone is an experienced wrestler here could they maybe give some insight to if this idea is good or not?

So basically it could be something like this:

Monday: Squats and Cleans, upperbody calisthenics (variations of pushups, pullups, clap pushups, burpees, etc)

Wednesday: Deadlifts and core work, upperbody calisthenics again

Friday: Dynamic day, lunges, plyometrics, etc etc.

Also we do running and a grueling practice everyday at wrestling so keep that in mind.

hmm... well it certainly is interesting... but I would still think you need some upper body...

You need some sort of upper body horizontal/vertical push and pull.

If you squat on Monday, then you should move deadlifts to Friday.

You need some sort of upper body horizontal/vertical push and pull.

If you squat on Monday, then you should move deadlifts to Friday.

Yes that seems smarter to me. This is all theoretical but wrestling has alot of push/pull, maybe not vertical but horizontal at least. Plus a buttload of calisthenics to retain springiness and some semblance of strength.

You dont need calisthenics "to retain springiness". Lift hard and heavy, and then do some good stretchin' afterwards. Push-ups and such are good stuff, dont get me wrong, and can be used in between sets or for conditionin', but don't be afraid of bench/OHP and pull-ups/rows.

my advice to you. Is to do your pushing. You hear the words you don't need those muscles in wrestling, but let me tell you being new to the sport you will need strength in every muscle. Your arms will fatigue in a match no matter what shape your in. Your new to the sport so don't worry about your weight class chances are you won't make varsity your first year ever. Continue a program. Much like urban's on the first page right now. Involves conditioning, lifting, and takes account of the fact your practicing. Lift hard with a complete program. Focus on the legs, explosiveness, and your pulling muscles (back). but don't ignore anything. Start grip work. and get in condition. I also recommend hitting some technique camps this summer if your serious about it.

Try something like this maybe.

Squats, Cleans, calisthenics
Deadlift, Benchpress, Core
Squats, Military Press/Pushpress/SOHP/Dynamic Rows, Plyometrics

And of coarse stretching. Maybe you could add in weighted pull ups into you're squats and military press day if you pick military press

Squat and Deadlift every week? I don't like it for that simple reason.

omgidtrick said:
To me it seems that you can't NOT lift for your legs because they are so important (as is upperbody, don't get me wrong), but your upperbody benefits alot from just wrestling practice in general.

Wanted to add that if you're going to be doing HS wrestling, there's a good chance your legs will be fried from wrestling also, not just your upper body.
Is the wrestling program successful? Listen to your coach.

This way I wouldn't gain any bulk on my upperbody and remain as low a weight as possible.

You can do tons of upper body / push stuff and not gain mass (weight) while getting insanely strong.
Keep the reps low, weight high.

You'll benefit from "upper body" weight lifting, so don't leave it out.

Several good work outs have been mentioned.
There's and infinite amount of routines you could follow that would be good for you as a wrestler.

Check out the stuff the Revok and Urban are doing. Also Ross Enamait.

But if the wrestling team is worth anything at all, listen to your coach. He should have you all set up with a program to badassness in no time...

my advice to you. Is to do your pushing. You hear the words you don't need those muscles in wrestling, but let me tell you being new to the sport you will need strength in every muscle. Your arms will fatigue in a match no matter what shape your in. Your new to the sport so don't worry about your weight class chances are you won't make varsity your first year ever. Continue a program. Much like urban's on the first page right now. Involves conditioning, lifting, and takes account of the fact your practicing. Lift hard with a complete program. Focus on the legs, explosiveness, and your pulling muscles (back). but don't ignore anything. Start grip work. and get in condition. I also recommend hitting some technique camps this summer if your serious about it.

I like this answer. Now to formulate a sport specific routine...

Technique will be the hardest thing for you to learn. Seriously get some wrestling in this summer.
Don't worry about your weight. With a good routine and diet you should find yourself in pretty good shape. Plus when the season starts you'll cut even more off.

Use Urban's is what I'm suggesting, it's got strength and conditioning and if you follow it strictly and do the conditioning sessions hard you'll be in great shape.

You'll see kids trying to learn these flashy moves like backflipping out of singles and trying lateral drops. Learn your basics and learn them well. More matches have been won with a well executed double leg and a half nelson than with High flyers and stupid throws.

Back