Their guard or your guard?

Hit-or-be-hit

Green Belt
Reaction score
Do you prefer starting in there guard or them in yours?
And also in general which do you prefer fighting from. Your guard or theres?
Idk i don't like being in persons' guard. I like having guard. Just wondering what all you people prefer.

I rather pull guard first, kinda lets you know how they work, if they just sit there then there lazy and your gonna get a quick tap, if there aggressive and try to go to side then you gotta up your game and really work for a sub. Idk thats how I feel.

i like either.
it usually depends on the who i am going against and what their game is. if i don't know the persons game i like top.

I definately like using my guard more... I'm a real skinny guy (135) but I'm 5'10.5" so I'm pretty tall for my weight class. Plus I'm crazy flexible

my guard, hate it when people will hold onto you and NOT open their legs when they are so strong and don't even get called for stalling!!!!!!!!!

I'm much better at passing guard and playing top game, but I have a lot more fun working from underneath.

i def feel more comfortable when i pull guard first. it's the case for a lot of people who just aren't good at passing guard (raises hand).

I definitely prefer to have people in my guard. It's just a lot more fun and effective for me.

Last year, when I got my blue belt, I decided I was going to work hard at gaining a real dominant guard game. So for the past year, I've spent most of my open mat time developing it. The result is a pretty effective and versatile guard (I still have a looooong way to go though).

Last month, however, I pulled my groin and can't play guard at all because of it. This is forcing me to try and get to dominant top positions. If someone puts me on my back, I let them pass and work side, mount, n/s escapes. When I get top position I am working control, transitions and subs. Because I can't use my legs for squeezing at all, I am relying on good weight positioning and using my upper body for control.

Though I've been frustrated with the injury and lack of movement, it has at least made me focus on the things I really don't enjoy doing as much. Point is, I definitely love my guard, but sometimes the Jiu-Jitsu Gods will take it away from you and force you to work on other positions. Hopefully in the end I will learn to appreciate and enjoy both equally. But for now I can't wait till this damn groin injury goes away so I can get back to my triangling ways!

My guard if they're better than me. Their guard if I am better than them. -ken

Their guard definitely, but that's grappling for MMA. In straight grappling I still prefer to be in their guard, but its not so important.

I prefer to have them in my guard, but I suck in both positions

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me. I like playing from both equally.

In training, I don't care. Lately I have been playing more top game.

In competition, I want them in my guard, for sure. Still need to work on that top game some more before I feel confident with it.

In training/practice I prefer to be in their guard and on top because it's one of my weaknesses and I'm trying to work on improving it. I still have a hard(ish) time passing someone's guard, so I've been trying to work on it as much as possible.

In competition I greatly prefer to have them in my guard as I find I an alright to decent bottom game.

I'm just built like a bigger version of Sean Sherk so I naturally am good at guard passing and top game, so when I'm training I almost always pull guard and go for sweeps, that way I can only work my top game after I sweep them from my guard. That way, my guard stays up to par with my top game.

I find myself being much more well rounded as a result of doing this, where as other natural guard players or natural top game guys end up working their strengths constantly.

Do you prefer starting in there guard or them in yours?
And also in general which do you prefer fighting from. Your guard or theres?
Idk i don't like being in persons' guard. I like having guard. Just wondering what all you people prefer.

depends on who I'm fighting. usually I'd prefer to be on top.

I would rather pull guard because then you can learn to fight everyone. Where as if you try to muscle an opponent down and then try to pass their guard it might work once, but not against everyone. Either way the cornerstone of BJJ is passing and defending your guard, both should be worked on as much as possible.

I prefer to be on top because I have a good base, pretty solid control and good posture so it is pretty hard for people to sweep me or submit me from the bottom. I also have a solid, if unspectacular, guard pass game.

With that said, I prefer to pull guard when rolling in the gym. It is my weaker position, so it need more work then on top, and, if everything works out, I will be able to work from the top anyway.

Back