Theatrical BJJ

lethalazn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm doing a mockumentary/comedy movie about the making of a low budget action movie (yes within movie a movie next month, kind of like a low budget tropic thunder)...so I've got a question for you grapplers

Which BJJ moves/transitions would look cool in movies that aren't in movies yet?

Which moves are obviously TOO cliche by now (overused/overdone in too many movies by now?)

and please don't refer me to Donnie Yen movies, I've seen them way too many times not to know :icon_chee

Flying triangle
to
getting slammed
to
switching to Omoplata.

You could throw a struggle for Gogoplata in there after the slam for some dramatics. One guy struggling to pull the head into the foot, the other struggling to pull his head out, once he wins that battle he is instantly put in the Omoplata.

Would be a nice series of reversals.

I seem to recall Redbelt doing a good job with this. They kept it standing for the most part, which I liked. Big dramatic throws, chokes and armbars from standing. I think upright techniques are the way to go, especially if you want to make this more accessible to the general public. A lot of people still get lost when people start rolling on the ground.

Overly dramatic Flower Sweep
Omoplata
Gogoplata
Kneebar (Mir/Lesnar entry would look best on camera)

Flying/flipping armbar at 20 seconds, not the usual flying armbar

The handstand kneebar at 45 seconds

Either flashy or really basic.

Take a basic armbar from mount or guard. Its easy to show on camera that this hurts; show the arm being stretched out, the elbow popping up, the guys face in pain and looking at his arm. So he struggles to bend it back and clasp his hands. He gets to his knees and slams the guy doing the armbar.

For any grappling stuff remember that people really know jack shit. You'll have to show on camera exactly why a given move is dangerous. For a gogoplata for example, you'll need a closeup of the shin against the neck, and really emphasize that this can put a guy to sleep or do damage.

theres a move where someone flies at their opponent and kind of climbs around them, ending up in some sort of armbar sweep.

i think i saw it in iron man 2 (black widow)
and also in expendables (i think stallone did it)

im sick of seeing it.

theres a move where someone flies at their opponent and kind of climbs around them, ending up in some sort of armbar sweep.

i think i saw it in iron man 2 (black widow)
and also in expendables (i think stallone did it)

im sick of seeing it.

Yeah at first I was thinking that flying armbars/triangles (by itself) were kinda cliche and so I figured I might as well use other stuff (hence starting this thread)

And thanks to everyone else for their input, looking forward to hearing more

while there are a couple of moves that look pretty cool on tv, I will rather watch some Seagal aikido on a movie, I know it doesnt work, but damm it looks cool...

They had a rnc and armbar in the last Sherlock Holmes (with Robrt Downey Jr.)

RNC is really overused.

Heelhook wouldn't really be good graphics-wise because it just looks like you're hugging his heel.

Omoplata is rarely used; and has enough visual acuity to make in impact on a screen.

Some DLR sweeps would be good because they are often not too hard but they 'make a lot of motion.'

Ezekial into the windpipe would be nasty looking if you zoomed in (and the forearm is deep enough under the chin).

If you're showing any clothing chokes then bow-and-arrow would look nice or a deep loop choke.

seems like there's a unanimous approval of the omoplata here LOL

over dramatic shitty triangle to getting slammed and there always being an arm bar in there somewhere. paul walker has it in many of his movies, since he's a purple belt under paragon and i've seen it in other movies. but it has to be a real shitty triangle.

Just make to ensure some classic Judo throws...they're all screen worthy ;)

I came into this thread expecting a play about BJJ.

I was thoroughly disappointed, but then I saw those vids.

Now I am happy face

Rolling heel hook to toe fold. Toe folds look nastier then heel hooks and the rolling setup is sweet. Imanari is good at this and reilly bodycomb has some stuff on this on youtube.

Back