The "You have a Virus" Pop-Up Ads are offensive and stupid

TheHumungus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sherdog depends on its userbase for income, yet it insults us with these horrible pop-up ads that doubtlessly want to install spyware on my computer.

Doesn't seem smart to me.

I get em all the time. It's the ones meant to look like a computer dialog box, and it says "You may have a virus, click here to run a virus scan" (AKA install whatever the hell they paid to have as the pop-up).

Blame the company that resorts to scare tatics in their advertising, not Sherdog for trying to pay the bills. If you know not to click them it shouldnt be a big deal anyways. You could always use a pop up blocker or a browser like Firefox or Opera.

I doubt maintaining this website is cheap.

Forsaken said:
Blame the company that resorts to scare tatics in their advertising, not Sherdog for trying to pay the bills. If you know not to click them it shouldnt be a big deal anyways. You could always use a pop up blocker or a browser like Firefox or Opera.

I doubt maintaining this website is cheap.

Still, Sherdog is choosing what advertisers to accept. It's only really forgivable if they just get a check from some conglomerate company that then serves whatever ads it feels like (which is probably the case).

This is the mmaforums, how bout posting this shit elsewhere so your dumbass does not get banned?

Opethiroth111 said:
ever heard of pop up blocker?

I check sherdog from the school library a lot of time to take a break from doing work there. It's a big annoyance considering I'm there at least 10 hours a week.

TheHumungus said:
I get em all the time. It's the ones meant to look like a computer dialog box, and it says "You may have a virus, click here to run a virus scan" (AKA install whatever the hell they paid to have as the pop-up).

I was getting them, but I don't anymore. Try using a program called AVAST....it's free and it's great. I also use Panda, a little pricey but the best on the market.

jamison said:
This is the mmaforums, how bout posting this shit elsewhere so your dumbass does not get banned?

The real question is: "Why did Jamison make this post"

a) you care enough about having me here to warn me off of possibly dangerous behavior?

b) You just like chewing people out?

c) You just like to post?

Taekwonjitsu said:
I was getting them, but I don't anymore. Try using a program called AVAST....it's free and it's great. I also use Panda, a little pricey but the best on the market.

The worst ads ever were the talking Chuck LIddell ones. "I"m gonna be signing autographs..."

It got so every time I saw that I would like shriek in frustration. I wanted Chuck to lose in his fights and for sherdog and outlaw steakhouse to burn to the ground. Something about them seriously pissed me off.

TheHumungus said:
The real question is: "Why did Jamison make this post"

a) you care enough about having me here to warn me off of possibly dangerous behavior?

b) You just like chewing people out?

c) You just like to post?
Hey Fucktard, I made the post because you're to stupid to post in the OT. Moron. i see you've posted 1500 times since April, and you still can't figure this out? You're a troll.

I used to get that bullshit all the time too. Popup blockers rule! i suggest you invest in one

Back