• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The wrong industry to be in...

I truly believe the writings on the wall for actors. After watching Rogue One and seeing the amazing job they did recreating old actors , I'm convinced the tech is only gonna get better . Hard to imagine actors being as useful in 20 years.

Why are tv repair shops failing?

cheaper to buy a new TV than to get it repaired

to add to the list, add:
fast food employees. it'll come to a point that the entire process at fast food restaurants will be automated
truck drivers
bank tellers

No such thing. You can make something out of yourself in every industry. The top dogs in every industry are raking in millions. Even janitors are raking in 200k a year...the top ones...

So you are assuming that all self driving trucks will have to be manufactured from scratch, and that all manufacturers will keep their production levels at their current rate.

I think those assumptions are incorrect.

Otto is working on a drop in retrofit for 30K:

Source

WRT manufacturing capacity, I think we need to consider manufacturing outside of the United States, as well as the likelihood that companies will increase production to meet demand.

First and foremost they will have to get the laws changed. By law, the driver has to perform a pre-trip inspection. How will a truck inspect itself? How will a truck unload and load itself? How will a truck secure it's own load? Who will be responsible for the loads? Who contacts the shipper or consignee on site to find out which loading dock to use? Self driving trucks will likely be restricted to going from terminal to terminal. A human will have to actually pick up and deliver many loads

Not many will pay $30K to retrofit a truck more than a year old. They would much rather spend it on a new vehicle. Most of the large companies that would use the self driving trucks keep them 5 years and depreciate them. Then they trade them in on new trucks. The value of the 5 year old trucks will plummet during the transition.

It really wouldn't be practical to up production for a few years then have to drop back to the old levels where they only sell trucks to replace new trucks and have empty factories. Same thing with all of the component manufactures.

What are some products or services that have or are in the process of failing?

1) Travel agent
2) Taxi driver
3) Alarm clock manufacturer
4) vape shop owner (post new fda rules)
5) TV repair shop.

The older generation will always need a travel agent.

First and foremost they will have to get the laws changed. By law, the driver has to perform a pre-trip inspection. How will a truck inspect itself? How will a truck unload and load itself? How will a truck secure it's own load? Who will be responsible for the loads? Who contacts the shipper or consignee on site to find out which loading dock to use? Self driving trucks will likely be restricted to going from terminal to terminal. A human will have to actually pick up and deliver many loads

Not many will pay $30K to retrofit a truck more than a year old. They would much rather spend it on a new vehicle. Most of the large companies that would use the self driving trucks keep them 5 years and depreciate them. Then they trade them in on new trucks. The value of the 5 year old trucks will plummet during the transition.

It really wouldn't be practical to up production for a few years then have to drop back to the old levels where they only sell trucks to replace new trucks and have empty factories. Same thing with all of the component manufactures.

Changing the laws will likely be pretty easy for these companies. You can push in multiple angles: self driving trucks are safer, they have better fuel economy, and they reduce the cost of freight. You push those angles and add some lobbying dollars and you have the laws passed.

I don't have answers to the inspections, securing loads, or loading/unloading. I don't think those are extremely difficult things to overcome, and companies are going to save tremendous money on drivers and get items moved faster, so it's really a no brainer.

I strongly disagree with your assertion that a company wouldn't pay 30K to retrofit. If an average truck driver is being paid 40K annually, a company would pay for their investment and save an additional $10K in the first year. That is a simple decision to make.

There's this new shopping centre near me with little units in it
I heard a rumour the monthly rent on them was over 1000

Every week it seems a new little company rent one and try it out and then bang over night gone
I honestly think shops in general are dying out big time won't be long until it's just super markets
To some people that won't seem weird but in the UK we love our shopping

Even janitors are raking in 200k a year...the top ones...

That's the elite of the elite though bro. Those dudes put their lives on the line handling emergencies other janitors can't. Truck stops for example. Now if trucks become driverless ...

I work in the mental health field, it will be one of the last to go since its about personalities for the most part. Once true AI with emotion capability becomes a reality humans will become obsolete in that as well. Similar to the arts. The first to go will be transport and manufacturing. Anything involving or dependent on emotion and personality will be the last to go. Someone mentioned programming and tech as a last bastion, but no that also will soon be automated or handled by non emotional AI. Get ready for your paltry welfare cheques everyone, theyre coming in most of our lifetimes.

That's the elite of the elite though bro. Those dudes put their lives on the line handling emergencies other janitors can't. Truck stops for example. Now if trucks become driverless ...

Who will fuel the trucks with no drivers? The truck stops won't be selling drivers food and showers but the trucks still need fuel. They can maybe put larger tanks to cover the distance being driven on some routes but certainly not on coast to coast routes. I was thinking about that just today as there is a third large truck stop being built at the interstate exit near me. It's difficult to believe they can all survive.

What are some products or services that have or are in the process of failing?

1) Travel agent
2) Taxi driver
3) Alarm clock manufacturer
4) vape shop owner (post new fda rules)
5) TV repair shop.

Travel agents are just moving to internet, but internet sites still need customer service reps. That is basically what a travel agent has always been.

Any British citizen currently studying European politics. A quick google search comes up with 15 universities offering 52 courses on the subject.

Since we're leaving the EU, unless they're able to change nationality, their main prospect will be as a brexit negotiator, (because it's gonna take a hell of a lot longer than 2 years) where they're effectively be orchestrating their own career's demise.

Changing the laws will likely be pretty easy for these companies. You can push in multiple angles: self driving trucks are safer, they have better fuel economy, and they reduce the cost of freight. You push those angles and add some lobbying dollars and you have the laws passed.

I don't have answers to the inspections, securing loads, or loading/unloading. I don't think those are extremely difficult things to overcome, and companies are going to save tremendous money on drivers and get items moved faster, so it's really a no brainer.

I strongly disagree with your assertion that a company wouldn't pay 30K to retrofit. If an average truck driver is being paid 40K annually, a company would pay for their investment and save an additional $10K in the first year. That is a simple decision to make.

If, and it's a very big if, they can convert trucks, they will be putting many more miles on them in a day so it doesn't make sense to do it on a truck that will only be used for a couple more years. First they have to prove that the system works. Self driving cars have been in testing for 5 years.
Self-driving still seems to be a ways off from active public use on regular roads, but once it arrives, it could ramp very quickly, according to a new study by the Boston Consulting Group. The study found that by 2030, up to a quarter of driving miles in the U.S. could be handled by self-driving electric vehicles operating in shared service fleets in cities, due mostly to considerable cost savings for urban drivers.
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/the-wrong-industry-to-be-in.3567865/page-2

A 2,000 lb car is a lot less risky than an 80,000lb tractor trailer if something goes wrong with the technology and it always does. There are so many components involved to have problems with. I've worked on many things that depend on a computer to operate and there are always problems. How often does the check engine light in a car come on. At best, the vehicle ends up sitting along the road broken down. At worst it goes berserk and runs over several cars killing many people. I'm sure at least 5 years and possibly 10 years of testing will be required.

If it fails the trucking companies will be stuck with them and the manufacturers will go out of business.

Does anyone have shoes in need of a cobble?

Truck stop prostitutes will also lose business

Back