Social The worst accent you've heard in your life?

Not an accent per se but many Murrkans on TV/Internet/etc have become a real problem over the last decade or so. I mean that nasal metallic croaking that american women talk in these days, and that has contaminated men as well most recently. WTF is that and why aren't more people talking about this?

Pennsylvania and parts of South Jersey are annoying.

Atlanta is pretty awful. It's comprehensible, but it takes a minute for my brain to translate into English.

Are you talking about Irish Travellers?

/

Worst accent is that horrific Noo Joysey one.
pikeys ala snatch. Their behavior doesn’t help tbh.

Nyoo Joysey as in normal New Jersey ? Never had an issue with that one personally.

Not an accent per se but many Murrkans on TV/Internet/etc have become a real problem over the last decade or so. I mean that nasal metallic croaking that american women talk in these days, and that has contaminated men as well most recently. WTF is that and why aren't more people talking about this?

It's called "vocal fry." We can all thank Kim Kardashian for popularizing this atrocity.

Nyoo Joysey as in normal New Jersey ? Never had an issue with that one personally.
It s really weird. I once spent a couple of nights by mistake in Bognor Regis (is was mistakenly led to believe that it s a nice place, turned out to be a shithole). One evening walking on the peer there is a group of like 15 people drinking beer and smoking cigarettes and being loud. All of them wearing trackpants and dark jackets, all looking rough and all looking like immigrants. Like dark hair, darker skin, if I had to guess I would have said gipsy or perhaps from the Balkans somewhere. I was wondering where they were from so as I passed next to them I listened. They were all speaking English. Not immigrant English but working class, cockney type, but native speaker english. To this day I still wonder who the fuck were thess guys but NGL, i didn t real dare to ask them lol.

It's called "vocal fry." We can all thank Kim Kardashian for popularizing this atrocity.
It's often combined with uptalk? for a double whammy? The American glottal stop is also spreading: 'moun'un, di'unt, impor'unt' instead of 'mountain, didn't, important' etc.
Those are Irish Travellers, which are a separate group from Gypsies. Gypsies' speech in the UK and Ireland doesn't differ a great deal from the general lower class and even to the extent it does it's not so much the accent.
It s really weird. I once spent a couple of nights by mistake in Bognor Regis (is was mistakenly led to believe that it s a nice place, turned out to be a shithole). One evening walking on the peer there is a group of like 15 people drinking beer and smoking cigarettes and being loud. All of them wearing trackpants and dark jackets, all looking rough and all looking like immigrants. Like dark hair, darker skin, if I had to guess I would have said gipsy or perhaps from the Balkans somewhere. I was wondering where they were from so as I passed next to them I listened. They were all speaking English. Not immigrant English but working class, cockney type, but native speaker english. To this day I still wonder who the fuck were thess guys but NGL, i didn t real dare to ask them lol.
British and Irish Gypsies are so bred out they are only slightly darker than the general population (only some of them really). It doesn't sound like them.

It's often combined with uptalk? for a double whammy? The American glottal stop is also spreading: 'moun'un, di'unt, impor'unt' instead of 'mountain, didn't, important' etc.

Those are Irish Travellers, which are a separate group from Gypsies. Gypsies' speech in the UK and Ireland doesn't differ a great deal from the general lower class and even to the extent it does it's not so much the accent.

British and Irish Gypsies are so bred out they are only slightly darker than the general population (only some of them really). It doesn't sound like them.
Ok. No these guys looked distinctively non Brit. Looked southern euro / balkans. Must have been a bunch of second generation dudes who spoke together in English.

The combination of the vocal fry, uptalk, and the Valley girl accent is a serious affront to the English language. I refuse to take seriously anyone speaking in such manner.

As for the glottal stop, no I don't think so. I have yet to meet a compatriot who says "Can I have a bo'uh of wa'uh?"

Worst thing i seen in that vid is tipping culture

Even trying that hard unsufferable douche with camera still came second

Back