The Williams Guard: A Compendium (GIF & Image Heavy) Long Post!

Gambledub

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
**(x) = Reference, compare with reference list for further details**
** * = Problem uploading GIF, download link instead**

You can now download a RAR of all the GIF's here (171mb)
Part 2 of the new GIF's here (20mb)
Check out the 2nd compendium here
if gifs/links go down hit me up with a pm

Preface

The Williams Guard isn't really a guard style per se, but more of a transitional position; rather than a replacement for a traditional closed guard. There is a decent amount of material scattered around the internet however it is not (to my knowledge) compiled or taught systematically. These are my notes from trying to add it to my game that I thought I’d share. I am no means a master (or even good!) from this position, so I haven't hit every move here. Feedback, comments, criticisms, advice, strategy, techniques, examples and insight would all be appreciated.

Thanks

Introduction

The Williams Guard, also referred to as the Lister Grip, Nino Guard, Leg Hook Guard, Power Overhook, Russian Guard, Shoulder Pin or London Position, is a tight closed guard style utilizing an overhook of the opponents arm while encircling your leg on the same side, with the overhooking arm.

S-Williams-No-gi-1.jpg

The position offers a large amount of control over the opponent, however in doing so limits your own hip mobility. The position creates several potential options for triangle, armbar and omoplata attacks, but the ability to take the back, sweep and several chokes are negated in this position. The Williams Guard is applicable in both gi and no-gi situations and is especially viable for MMA, given the protection from strikes afforded by the Williams Guard, and the ability to control the posture to stall and force a stand up.

Positional Control

When establishing the Williams Guard there are several underlying principles that apply, regardless of variation in the grip or attack sequence. The first and most important aspect is to establish a dominant hip angle, where you are lying on one side of your body. The hip angle should be achieved before even attempting to establish the Williams Guard position. The hip angle is important in regards to guard retention and offensive output. If you are lying flat on your back it will be much easier for your opponent to smash down your free leg and pass your guard or extract their trapped arm, also if you are flat on your back it will be difficult to threaten your opponent with sweeps and submissions unless you possess extreme flexibility.

Hey kids! heres an experiment you can try at home!
  • Lay flat on your back.
  • Keeping your leg straight, raise one of your legs straight upwards as if you are trying to touch your toes to your nose.
  • Now bend your knee, and pull it tight to your chest, as if you are trying to connect the top of your knee/thigh to your chin.
  • Now keeping your leg straight and on the floor, bring it around your body like you are trying to touch your ear with the outside of your foot.

You will notice bringing your knee up is the easiest of the three variations (unless you're a genetic freak). This comes down to the anatomical make-up of the hip and its range of motion.

os7u5l.jpg

This is because hip & leg flexion & extension has a greater range of motion and comes far more naturally than abduction and adduction.

For this reason, an effective Williams Guard should be played on your side. If you divide your back at the spine, the same side as your hooking arm and leg should ideally not touch the ground.

2uz8ems.jpg

In reference to the original photo of the Williams Guard, the red area in this photo of the back represents the area which should not touch the ground.

It should be noted, going onto the flat of your back is not bad IF done intentionally to set up an attack. However in terms of controlling your opponent it is incorrect to do so, without good reason.

The next principle is to establish the “bite” on the opponents arm and back with the overhooking arm and leg. Once the hip angle is achieved you want to bring your knee up the opponent’s back, by the spine and/or the base of the neck, rather than by the opponent’s shoulder, before overhooking the opponents arm and your own leg. Maintaining this leg pressure is essential for controlling the opponent’s posture, and more importantly preventing the opponent from pulling their arm out.

Importance of proper knee & leg placement (25)
2dmkxu.jpg

The free arm and free leg positioning varies according to what you are attempting and your intention in playing the guard style. From above it can be determined that two factors are required in order to have an effective Williams Guard:

• Establishing a good hip angle to attack effectively and retain the guard.
  • Establish a strong overhook with good leg positioning to prevent the opponent freeing their arm.

Because of the above factors it is important to not allow the opponent to flatten you or extract their trapped arm from the overhook.

Positional Details

For this post, references to body positioning will be as follows:
32zltaq.jpg

• A – Hooking Arm
  • B – Hooking Leg
  • C – Free Arm
  • D – Free Leg
  • 1 – Opponent’s Trapped Arm
  • 2 – Opponent’s Free Arm

Hooking Arm & Framing Positions

This section describes the different grips available for the hooking arm (A), or the frames you can use when clasping both hands together.

21eamgp.jpg

Position 1 is the frame hand position, this is the most common hand placement seen with the Williams Guard. It is important when you make the frame that the palm of your free arm is facing you (like you are pimp slapping your opponent.) Therefore your hooking arm should be the closest arm to your face with your palm facing away (think looking at a watch on your wrist.) The position of the free arm elbow depends on what you are trying to achieve and will be discussed shortly.

The frame is a stable position that offers good control while restricting your opponents movement.

Position 2 is the Lister grip, it functions in a similar manner to the frame. In my experience I don’t feel like the Lister grip is as stable in terms of controlling, but it allows you to keep the opponents posture broken down well, while allowing you easy access to throw your leg past the opponents face for an omoplata or a gogoplata.

Positions 3 & 4 are nearly identical, they are single handed grips controlling the shoulder of the opponent. The benefit is they give you a free hand to control and attack the opponent with. This is useful as you can attack the opponents free arm or head, or in a MMA/self-defence context strike the opponent to force them to block with their free arm. Position 4 offers more control and stability as it uses the opponent’s gi, you can also create space by forcing the opponent to posture by lifting their gi upwards.

However as you are using only one hand to control the opponent you are vulnerable to the opponent manipulating your position and driving in to you, flattening you on your back. In this situation you should switch to a framing position such as position 1 or 2.

In terms of this positioning, it helps to think as position 1 being the most stable, with positions 3 & 4 being the least stable. However position 1 is the least offensive with positions 3 & 4 being the most offensive.

Free Arm Positions

When using positions 3 & 4 above your free arm has a number of variations when not clasped in a framing position:
  • Posting on the opponents face, this pressure can be used to stop the opponent from driving you flat when you are only controlling their shoulder/gi with your hooking arm. To gain the correct amount of pressure and protect yourself from strikes you will likely want to stiff arm.
  • Controlling the opponent’s free arm. Either at the bicep, wrist or sleeve. This can be used to move to more offensive positions, such as the knee through, shin on bicep or arm inside frame (discussed later)
  • Controlling the opponent’s lapel. I have never personally done this but I imagine this could be used as an alternative to the frame. (either near or far side lapel)
  • Striking the opponent. It is unlikely you will hurt your opponent with strikes from this position. However it is possible to cut the opponent. The real benefit is drawing up the opponent’s free arm to block the strikes, allowing you to seize it for an arm bar or rotate your free leg around it for a triangle. Elbows, hammerfists and short hooks and uppercuts can work well from this position.

Last edited:
Free Arm Framing Elbow Positions

There are several schools of thought when it comes to the framing elbow, each offer their own advantages and disadvantages.

24xdk5v.jpg

Position 1 is the frame preferred by Shawn Williams. For the most part the free arm stays at 90 degrees with the elbow kept on the floor. This is a very stable grip, which prevents your opponent from driving you flat. I would recommend this frame for someone experimenting with this guard style as it is halfway between position 2 & 3 and can be easily changed to either method.

Position 2 is the frame I see most commonly used/demonstrated. This frame relies on driving your elbow into your opponents face and head. The advantage of this frame is to weaken your opponent’s body alignment and is especially valuable in protecting yourself from punches.

Using the frame to defend strikes (8)
3132dk6.jpg

Position 3 is a frame commonly used by Neil Melanson. This frame is positioned under the opponent’s face and chest and is used to lift the opponent, forcing the opponent to posture. This allows your free leg to advance to more offensive positions and attack with submissions.

Using the frame to lift the opponent & create space (29)
awduvq.jpg

Position 4 is the Leg Hook Guard, the inbred cousin of the Williams Guard. Many entries into the Williams Guard will land you here first. The attacks from this position are for the most part interchangeable with the Williams Guard. There are some attacks only possible from this position, so personally I would consider it more offensive. However it leaves you vulnerable to being driven on your back.

Hooking Leg Positions
There isn’t a large amount of variance of hooking leg positions due to the leg being relatively fixed. However it is important at all times to keep the knee down, this is to avoid giving the opponent space to extract their arm.
If we look back to the picture of the “Hooking Arm & Framing Positions” you can see position 1 the shin is in the common mid position. In position 2 “the Lister grip” the shin is brought higher into a more offensive position. The next position is the omoplata/gogoplata position where the shin is brought past the opponent’s face, this is obviously the most aggressive hooking leg position.

Free Leg Positions

The free leg has a lot of variation, though it is far more transitional than statically held positions. You will have different attacks for different leg positions. Personally I like to attack with triangles rather than omoplata’s so for me ideally, I want to free my knee by bringing it through, then work towards freeing my leg.
The free leg positions are as follows:
  • Floating
  • Foot on Hip
  • Knee Through
  • Knee Through Frame
  • Leg Free
  • Spider Style
  • Triangle
  • Closed

5bzhxv.jpg

Floating refers to your free leg not being held or pressed against your opponent, or it could be your opponent is hugging your leg or shin (discussed later) and not letting you move to a more aggressive position such as foot on hip or knee through. It is not a bad position but is the least ideal.

Foot on hip is as it sounds, your free leg is pressed against your opponent’s hip it is not by definition an aggressive position. However it is great at controlling the opponent and can be used for guard retention should you need to readjust the angle of your hips or stop the opponent from driving in.

Knee through (1) is when you bring your knee though your opponents free arm. A lot of the time your shin will rest on the inside of your opponent’s upper arm. This is a great position and depending on the length of your legs can be combined with the foot on the hip. This position opens up many offensive attacks, while allowing the shin to be used to block and defend your opponent’s strikes.

Using Knee Through to Defend Strikes. Note also shows good progression between closed, foot on hip & knee through (4)
2ik76eh.jpg

Knee through frame (2) is similar to the above, except this time you free leg knee will come through your framed arms, this opens up the ability to attack with omoplata’s.
Leg free refers to when you have gotten your entire free leg past the opponent’s free arm. This position allows you to attack with triangles and omoplata’s.

Spider style (3) is when your free leg foot is pressuring into your opponents bicep, this position will likely only occur if your opponent attempts a heavy strike. It allows you to rapidly transition to the leg free positon.

The triangle (4) is when you manage to bring your free leg over the opponents shoulder. No bonus points for guessing what you can attack with here.

Closed refers to when you lock your legs together, this is a defensive position and used to stall or prevent the guard being passed.

Opponent’s Free Arm Positions

Ideally if you have the Williams Guard locked up properly the opponent should not be able to move their trapped arm. Therefore the only variance in arm position should be with their free arm.

2qwewxu.jpg

The opponents arm can fall inside or outside of two positions. The position of the opponents arm will determine what attack will be the most successful.
Position A is your framing arm. Anytime any part of the opponents arm crosses through this line it can be considered the inside arm position. Anytime the opponent’s arm is outside of this line it can be considered the outside arm position
The inside arm position is very dominant. There are not a large amount of attacks from this position (predominantly the armbar) but attacks from this position are very successful. The benefit of entering the Williams Guard when your opponent has their hands on your biceps is that they will often stay on the arm inside position. The position can also be obtained by moving the opponent’s free arm using your own free arm, or by striking the opponent forcing them to move their hand to the arm inside position to block the strikes. Arm outside is not quite as dominant although a large amount of offensive options become available to you.

Position B is your free knee. Any time the opponents upper arm is between your body and this line it can be considered the inside knee position. Anytime the opponents upper arm is outside of this line it can be considered outside knee position. Obviously this ties into the section on free leg position. Positions such as knee through rely on getting to the outside knee position. Inside knee positioning allows you to attack well with armbars, while outside knee positioning opens up options for triangle chokes.

Last edited:
Countering The Opponent’s Escapes & Attacks

Pulling Out & Posturing Up

If you have obtained the Williams Guard with correct posture, it should be nearly impossible for the opponent to back out of your guard by pulling out. This is due to your hooking leg being under the opponent’s armpit.
If your opponent attempts to posture up, they will expose themselves to triangles by being unable to defend the outside knee position. The opponent will open themselves to the hip bump sweep as well as several other offensive options.

Hip Bump Sweep As Opponent Postures(31)

Stacking & Driving In

I have included these two together as it is hard for the opponent to do one without doing the other. It is likely the opponent will stack/drive in by elevating and pushing off their free arm and leg.
A simple way to counter your opponent’s stack/drive is to push or kick the opponent’s thigh just above their knee to flatten out their posture. From here seeing as the opponent will still be posting on their free arm it should be easy to move to the knee through position or any other outside knee position.
I have read posts describing a modified scissor sweep after the knee push. However I have not had success with this technique, any insight would be appreciated.

Countering the Opponent’s Stack/Drive with the Kick (23)
lhzkj.jpg

It is also possible to counter the opponent’s drive by taking advantage of the opponent’s aggression by switching the Williams Guard to the opposite side.

Switching Sides of the Williams Guard (26)
vfffk0.jpg

Your opponent’s stack/drive will open them up to several submissions which will be discussed later.

Opponent Hugging the Free Leg

Your opponent may realise they are vulnerable if they allow you to bring your knee through; and as a result they may attempt to tightly hug your leg or shin.
A move I like to refer to as the “Harlem Shake” is a fundamental movement to master, if you wish to be effective with this guard style. I like to think of it as the shrimping of the Williams Guard. The Harlem Shake is performed by pushing your opponents face away by using either your framing elbow or stiff arming. Meanwhile you simultaneously pump your legs to move to the knee through position. This is an essential movement anytime your opponent hugs your leg, or if you have long legs (like me) you may struggle to get to the knee through position.

The Harlem Shake (12)
54npy.jpg

Your opponent will still be open to submission attacks when hugging your leg, which will be discussed later. Alternatively you can attack with sweeps or strikes to force the opponent to use their free arm to defend, causing them to stop hugging your leg.

Guard Retention & Countering the Pass

Because you are controlling the opponents posture with your hooking arm & leg and locking down an entire side of the opponents body, it should not be possible for your opponent to pass to this side (with the exception of the cartwheel/pinwheel pass.)
If your opponent attempts to pass to the side of your free arm and leg, they open themselves to the omoplata.
An opponent who realises this may either attempt to drive off your chest, exposing themselves to the armbar. They may also try and break your frame or move to the Leg Hook Guard to flatten you by pushing at your elbow, this is countered by the Harlem Shake to move to the knee in position, and from here the opponent should not have sufficient leverage to break your grip.

Sweeping As the Opponent Pulls Out Arm (35)

Countering the Frame Break with the Harlem Shake (26)
24maofd.jpg

You may be aware that the Williams Guard can be vulnerable to the Pinwheel Pass, in fact Eddie Bravo removed the position from the 10th planet system for that exact reason.

The Pinwheel Pass (8)
qqz7ds.jpg

The most simple counter to the pass is to keep you guard closed. However unless you are planning on stalling, this is only a temporary solution.
In the least ideal situation your hands remain closed as your opponent attempts the takedown. From here you can attack with a low single leg takedown

The Low Single (26)(33)

*** Note all techniques in this post will now be links to GIFs due to Sherdog’s maximum image allowance ***

If you have begun attacking with the omoplata as the opponent attempts the Pinwheel Pass you can attack with the see-saw sweep.
The See-Saw Sweep (26)

If you have not yet attacked with the opponent you can counter with the belly down sweep. Both the belly down and see-saw sweeps will land you in the same final position, from here you can step over into s-mount or a potential mounted triangle or you can roll for an omoplata.

The Belly Down Sweep (8)

Belly Down Sweep Showing the Options from Final Position (8)

Related Positions

There are two positions I consider important to at least understand, if you wish to play the Williams Guard. The first position you will have probably seen, it is an underhook variation of the trapped arm that I like to call the El Nino position. (hespect to Mr Schembri!)
It is important to know this position as it opens up several attack options, such as the inverted arm bar, the reverse kimura, triangle chokes, several sweeps and the ability to take the back. Transitioning to El Nino is also a good option if you are unable to free your leg using the Harlem Shake. If the opponent keeps their arm straight, you should hug the arm to attack with the inverted arm bar series. If the opponent realises the danger and bends their arm you should move to the reverse kimura grip (RKG).

Transition to El Nino (13)

Transition to El Nino (RKG) (10)

Transition to El Nino (RKG) in Response to Trapped Leg (16)

The other position you should learn, is what I refer to as the Am Bar. No that’s not a typo I call this position the Am (amateur) Bar because it is like an arm bar performed on the wrong side. You can transition here intentionally or your opponent may force the position by pulling their arm out of an armbar, or duck their head out when you attempt a triangle or have the free leg position. From the Am Bar you can attack with omoplata’s, the crucifix neck crank or sweeps.

Transition to the Am Bar Position (18)

Last edited:
Entries

A quick note that often it is advantageous to achieve the foot on hip position before entering the Williams Guard (although not necessary), it can also help with obtaining a dominant hip angle to enter the position.

Achieving the Foot on Hip Position (27)
l9kzs.jpg

Opponents Hands on Floor

Anytime the opponent makes the mistake of posting their hand on the floor it is possible to achieve the Williams Guard.
The basic entry sees you simply reach up and lock in the position

Basic Entry (12)
fm17wj.jpg

A simple variation to the basic entry is to feint an elbow strike, obviously if you have previously attacked the opponent with elbow strikes, this entry will be more believable. It is also possible to attack the opponent with a legitimate strike then

Last edited:
Offensive Attacks & Techniques

Arm Inside Frame Attacks
These attacks are for when your opponent’s arm is positioned within your frame. This is the ideal time to attack with the armbar.
Armbar & Stacked Armbar (28) (27)
10ngh8g.jpg

skzwyc.jpg

Arm Outside Frame Attacks

These attacks occur in the more common scenario, when your opponents arm rests outside of your framing arm. These attacks are divided into two categories, opponents arm inside knee and opponents arm outside knee
Opponents Arm Inside Knee Attacks

Armbar (23)
ejforn.jpg
Melanson Armbar (29)
2n9m0jo.jpg
Invisible Collar (17)
15dkrac.jpg
Hip Bump Sweep(28)
2sb0ute.jpg
*** Note all techniques in this post will now be links to GIFs due to Sherdog’s maximum image allowance ***
Arm Trap Hip Bump Sweep(31)

Opponents Arm Outside Knee Attacks
Leg Hook Trapped Arm Armbar (22)
Leg Hook Triangle * (21)
Leg Hook Spider Triangle (5)
Rotational Triangle (3)
Yo-Yo Triangle (14)
Fist Press Triangle * (27)
Posturing Triangle (24)
Posturing Triangle to Double Armbar * (23)
Knee Through Frame Omoplata (20,23)
Braulio Omoplata (2)
Leg Free Omoplata (14)
Leg Over Omoplata * (27)
Gogoplata (15)
Nutcracker Gogoplata (can be used if opponent holds your foot) (15)
Rolling Omoplata to Arm Bar (34)
Leg Hook Arm Bar (32)
Leg Hook Omoplata (32)

Single Hooking Arm Attacks

These attacks are for when your free arm is attacking the opponents free arm
Kick Through Triangle (4)
Push Through Triangle (29)
Rotational Triangle (3)
Guldb

Last edited:
References & Appendices

(1)Penn B.J, Cordoza G., Krauss E. (2007) Mixed Martial Arts: The book of knowledge. Victory Belt Publishing.(Pg 207)
Available: http://victorybelt.com/mixed-martial-arts-the-book-of-knowledge-bj-penn/

(2)Estima B. Disc 1: Closed Guard. Bjjtapes.com.
Available: http://www.pankada.com.br/braulio-estima-dvd-1.html

(3)Hall R. How to Master the Triangle (Note this is the Lloyd Irvin produced version, the link below is to the new set but it does not contain the technique in the gif)
Available: http://www.groundfighter.com/Ryan-Hall-The-Triangle/

(4)Thornton M. (2011) Functional Jeet Kune Do - Series 3. Disc 5: MMA Guard. Straight Blast Gym International.
Available: http://www.straightblastgym.com/store.htm

(5)Grapplearts. Eddie Bravo's Rubber Guard "The NewSchool". http://www.grapplearts.com/Blog/2012/04/eddie-bravos-rubber-guard-the-newschool/

(6)Zhoozhitzu do Graugardo. Crucifix from London. http://www.shogunhq.com/2007/01/hey-all.html

(7)Aesopian. The Lazy Man's London. http://www.lockflow.com/gi-technique/lazy-mans-london

(8)Radical MMA: MMA Guard - The Rat Guard #3: Transition to Lister Grip
[YT]ovljbfZnoX4[/YT]

(9)Radical MMA: MMA Guard - The Rat Guard #4: Transition to Underhook
[YT]MJ-6qbTMhsk[/YT]

(10)TeamPlusOne West Hartford: BJJ and MMA Classes in Greater Hartford CT- Nino Guard Options
[YT]O0L0-cw_ytU[/YT]

(11)grapplevideos: Dean Lister Omoplata set up warm up drills
[YT]K54lcODWbpY[/YT]

(12)grapplevideos: Dean Lister Omoplata set ups
[YT]yyVeFdAClV0[/YT]

(13)grapplevideos: Dean Lister Omoplata set ups 2
[YT]W9jgVXLEE6w[/YT]

(14)grapplevideos: Dean Lister omoplata to triangle
[YT]LajO_bijtFc[/YT]

(15)grapplevideos: Dean Lister Gogoplata
[YT]kEDvxnpZJKM[/YT]

(16)grapplevideos: Dean Lister Reverse Kimura from omoplata
[YT]Dpqr0G4FYY4[/YT]

(17)David Thomas: Invisible Collar Choke from Rubber Guard
[YT]8wYsegjBqRA[/YT]

(18)JiuJitsuMag: Issue #1- Sweeps with David Dunn - Closed Guard
[YT]AfLwbd7oouc[/YT]

(19)JiuJitsuMag: Issue 15 JJM: Leg Guard Hook - Ghost Choke
[YT]n5UEqNDdsJk[/YT]

(20)JiuJitsuMag: Issue 15 JJM: Leg Guard Hook - Omoplata
[YT]Al4MJc8xoW8[/YT]

(21)JiuJitsuMag: Issue 15 JJM: Leg Guard Hook - Triangle
[YT]e7-YHe84Nv8[/YT]

(22)JiuJitsuMag: Issue 15 JJM: Leg Guard Hook - Arm Bar
[YT]K6tGlQFdpJA[/YT]

(23)Joe Camacho: Russian Guard Series
[YT]_X1Bway4gVI[/YT]

(24)Greg Grappling: Leg hook guard concepts and set ups
[YT]cx9zKcNR67I[/YT]

(25)BudoVideos.com: Rolled Up Episode 5 - One on one with Shawn Williams - Full Episode
[YT]SfUK6qSbJ2Y[/YT]

(26)BudoVideos.com: This Week In BJJ - Episode 9 Part 2 Eddie Bravo and Shawn Williams
[YT]phPPjWRcOKc[/YT]

(27)Bronx Martial Arts Academy: Shawn Williams Seminar
[YT]iWj6t2edp5A[/YT]

(28)Niko Han: TekNik31 - Leg Loop Guard Attacks
[YT]PLYbeEeHR0M[/YT]

(29)FightsmartTV: Neil Melanson grappling system part two.avi
[YT]zQNb6y-B_nc[/YT]

(30)MMAmaniadkVidz: Guldb

Last edited:
Damn dude ... I thought I had found all the stuff on Williams guard ... including that Russian Guard video ... and the Rat Guard video with the pinwheel pass defense ...

Dude, this thread is awesome! Thanks for the hard work in putting it all together! :D

Damn dude ... I thought I had found all the stuff on Williams guard ... including that Russian Guard video ... and the Rat Guard video with the pinwheel pass defense ...

well its all just rehashed stuff that i broke down position wise. thats the thing though this position has so many names looking for stuff can be a mission, so i put it in one place :D

Dude, this thread is awesome! Thanks for the hard work in putting it all together! :D

your welcome! it was pretty fun to do (aside from uploading gifs, that sucks donkey balls!)

EXCELLENT POST!!!! I've always been a huge fan of Williams Guard, not being super flexible & all. This is REALLY good stuff here. Thanks!!!!

Back