The Underrated Impact of Kimbo and the way he will always be GOAT

Everyone seems to forget Seth's jab was so powerful it destroyed an entire company.
Only something so powerful could take down Kimbo.
{<shrug}

-side note. I actually didn't mind watching him scrap. One of the few freak show attractions you knew was gonna be a banger..... for the most part.

This. Kimbo brought a few backyard bareknuckle bums to the UFC and MMA for like 2 years. But other than that, nothing of lasting impact at all. A drop in the MMA bucket really.
How can you talk about Dada 5000 like that? His name will be up there with Babe Ruth and Michael Jordan in sports history one day!

-side note. I actually didn't mind watching him scrap. One of the few freak show attractions you knew was gonna be a banger..... for the most part.
Yeah, I guess. Spent most of the James Thompson and Roy Nelson fights on his back, though. His fight with Houston Alexander was one of the worst ever, but that was largely Houston's fault for not engaging. Mitrione, in his second pro MMA fight, made Kimbo look really bad but it was pretty entertaining.

Don’t be so nasty, sherbois. Kimbo was a great guy, people who trained with the man said he was down to earth and willing to learn. He could have easily cherry picked opponents and retire young like Rickson did. Or could have remained a street sensation with fabricated stories and shooting movies like Bruce Lee or Frank Dux. He had the balls to join the ufc and fight in front of everone. It takes “cajones” like ‘mercians like to say.

I DO miss Kimbo, may he rest in peace.

. Or could have remained a street sensation with fabricated stories and shooting movies like Bruce Lee or Frank Dux.
Wow, what a cheap shot at Bruce Lee when you're trying to defend Kimbo from alleged cheap shots. There was NOTHING like MMA/NHB, K-1 or anything remotely close in Bruce Lee's day. So there was nothing for him to compete in. Besides he was having plenty of success in TV then movies, which was the best way to get martial arts more exposure in his time. If there had been no Bruce Lee or movies like Enter the Dragon, there may never have been enough interest for the UFC to take off. That's an anachronism for sure.

And while I think Dux is full of tall tales, he was almost 40 by the time the UFC started. If he had competed, he would've been pretty old and had a short career. I agree totally about Rickson, though. If he was going to compete and brag constantly about his perfect record (something Bruce Lee never did), he should've fought the likes of Sakuraba, Ken or Frank Shamrock, Igor V, Bas Rutten, Frye, Mark Kerr, etc. who were all active when he fought. Instead he fought really bad Japanese pro wrestlers and Dave Levicki, who had zero ground game.

Back