The UFC'S 145lb plan. Heard it here first!!!!

They don't control aldo, he's welcome right now at 155 if he vacates his belt which he doesn't wanna do.

Tldr version: you're an idiot.

Ah ok. So Aldo will move up and then 2 of the remaining 3 fighters who have win streaks at the top of the div will fight for the title, but you're not sure who.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Edgar vs Cub!!! You happy?

I hope you aren't seriously that retarded that I need to point out to you how last minute replacement fights work.

Of course this is Sherdog, so It's probably likely.

Ummm hey buddie did you or did you not comment on the first page that you stopped reading when I said Mendes is fighting mid tier competition. Yes that is how short notice works but you commented as if Mendes has been fighting the elite. And to be honest McKenzie is not even mid tier he is as low as you get.

The big problem with your theory is that they've tried to hook Mendes up with big names but they turn him down. Lamas has turned down that fight twice. Also Lentz is a fine fight for Mendes all things considered.

So wait your saying the problem with my theory is that big names have turned down Mendes. So my theory that Edgar is tied up with BJ, cub is out and Mendes is fighting smaller named guys so Aldo can move up and then they can hype up Mendes Cub and Frankie is wrecked because Lamas wont fight Mendes. Huh? Mendes not getting big name fights doesn't mean the UFC isn't doing what I'm saying

I honestly think it would be too bad if we didn't see Edgar vs. Aldo 2 and Mendes vs. Aldo 2 before Jose moves up. Mendes had only been fighting for 3 1/2 years when he got his first shot, that fight didn't happen at the right time. And regardless of what some people want to say, Aldo vs. Edgar ended up being pretty close. And Edgar shines in rematches. I want to see it.

I got the impression they were using Mendes to knock off potential, unmarketable contenders. Guida has lost a lot of fans with his last two performances and Lentz was never a crowd favorite iirc. Besides, the way Mendes got KOed by Aldo it probably helps him that he's gotten so many fights for him to build confidence in his stand up. If he KOs Lentz as well they can market him as a KO artist and the rematch will be easier to sell since he's piled up so many victims and sufficient time has passed.

Edit: And I just remembered he flattened Elkins who had a streak of his own but also has a grinding style that may not be too pleasant to the casuals. That was a short notice fight though so maybe I'm looking into it too much.

Any story about the Feather Weight division which is dependant on Aldo moving up to LW should include Barao moving to FW.

So wait your saying the problem with my theory is that big names have turned down Mendes. So my theory that Edgar is tied up with BJ, cub is out and Mendes is fighting smaller named guys so Aldo can move up and then they can hype up Mendes Cub and Frankie is wrecked because Lamas wont fight Mendes. Huh? Mendes not getting big name fights doesn't mean the UFC isn't doing what I'm saying

First you say Mendes is getting mid tier opponents to keep him fresh and away from the title picture---then you say it doesn't mean anything. Gotcha. Your entire theory hinges on them keeping Mendes away from Aldo so that he doesn't throw off some plan to move Jose Aldo up. That's not the case at all. Every time Mendes has been in line for a name, the name has walked away from the negotiating table for one reason or another. He's a victim of circumstance, not some master plan to build a Pettis vs Aldo super fight.

If they wanted to put Aldo in a title fight at 155 lbs, they just...would do it. They literally answer to nobody besides Fox and I doubt Fox gives a shit what Aldo and Pettis do on PPV. There's no need to play games, it's just circumstances falling into place differently. I'm sure if they could do Cub vs Mendes or Mendes vs Lamas, they would've done it by now. Fighters just don't want to fight Chad Mendes.

Any story about the Feather Weight division which is dependant on Aldo moving up to LW should include Barao moving to FW.

And Faber as well. I mean since once Aldo is gone, Faber is going to probably just go back to 145 and take the title.

You can see they are getting ready in case Aldo does vacate 145.

And lets be real here, who besides hardcore fans care about Lamas?? He wont beat Aldo, he wont beat Mendes or Edgar. Hell I take Cub in a rematch

First you say Mendes is getting mid tier opponents to keep him fresh and away from the title picture---then you say it doesn't mean anything. Gotcha. Your entire theory hinges on them keeping Mendes away from Aldo so that he doesn't throw off some plan to move Jose Aldo up. That's not the case at all. Every time Mendes has been in line for a name, the name has walked away from the negotiating table for one reason or another. He's a victim of circumstance, not some master plan to build a Pettis vs Aldo super fight.

Dude what? I never said in the op there using Mendes to build Aldo Pettis. Not sure what your reading. Give me something about the op to actually reply too and then I will respond. I'm done responding on Sherdog to people that say something I didn't even say. Try again!!!

Mendes is being held back so they can hype him up when he does get a title shot... assuming he keeps winning. They can say he "earned his way the hard way." Also, keeping him in these kind of easier than top tier FW matches means he can easily be a replacement fighter for a top tier FW fight or a FW title fight.
GSP and AS ruled their division for YEARS, they haven't "cleaned out" their division. Silva lost eventually. Jones only been a champ for 2 years and people are saying he is cleaning the division which is NOT true.

There is no such thing as cleaning out a division. There will always be up and comers.
There will always be "up and comers," but honestly, the state of the LHW division is pretty laughable compared to the champ right now.

Gus, Davis, and Glover are the best guys the division can produce, and none of them really have any sort of edge against JBJ, and he has several gigantic advantages over them.

GSP and AS ruled their division for YEARS, they haven't "cleaned out" their division. Silva lost eventually. Jones only been a champ for 2 years and people are saying he is cleaning the division which is NOT true.

There is no such thing as cleaning out a division.

:rolleyes:

And I bet in the promo, they would say both Edgar and Mendes had a very solid chance at beating Aldo in the rematch, BUT that we will never know!

I agree with the TS, it could very well end up like this. Certainly no doubt about that they want to hype up Mendes, I mean they pulled Lentz from an already booked fight to fight Mendes on Fox. And let's be real here, Mendes is probably gonna KO him in the 1st.

Furthermore, Aldo is pretty much done at 145 if you look at the top 10.

Ricardo Lamas
Chad Mendes (KO'ed by Aldo)
Cub Swanson (KO'ed by Aldo)
Korean Zombie (KO'ed by Aldo)
Pat Curran (sadly in Bellator)
Dustin Poirier (not there yet)
Frankie Edgar (lost to Aldo)
Darren Elkins (meh)
Nik Lentz (meh)
Patricio Pitbull (sadly in Bellator)

Lamas is the only option, of course the rematches with Mendes and Swanson would be nice but does Aldo want that? Or is a fight with Anthony Pettis the better option, I think it's the latter.

Here's a point though, who the fuck does Cub Swanson fight now?!

Mendes/Lentz
Edgar/Penn
Aldo injured
He's fought and lost to, Lamas.
He's beaten Poirier.

Nobody else left for him to fight unless he gets a ridiculous fight like Rani Yahya or something. Weird situation.

Mendes is not getting the top of the food chain fights, Edgar is tied up with tuf and I might be wrong but last I heard Cub is without a fight. The UFC is giving Mendes middle tier fighters so he can't claim he deserves the rematch with Aldo but keeping him busy so they can hype him up down the road as a guy on a great winning streak. Edgar is conveniently doing tuf against BJ and last I heard Cub does not have a fight.

It's pretty simple if you think about it. There taking the 3 guys that have lost to Aldo and keeping them away from him but busy so they can let Aldo clean out the division. He has almost done that and then they will move him up to fight Pettis at 155. I can see it now! Frankie Edgar vs Chad Mendes for the vacant UFC featherweight belt. Edgar is coming off 2 fantastic performances against rising prospect Charles Oliveira and his 3rd win over a motivated in shape BJ Penn who was the most dominant 155lb fighter in the history of the sport.

Money Mendes has looked like a killer knocking out opponents left and right and is a very hungry man looking to add Frankie Edgar to his list of victims in this battle for the vacant 145lb gold. Waiting in the wings is Cub Swanson (Insert Hype).

You heard it here folks!!!!!!

Why are you dismissing BJ in the 3rd fight so easily?

Back