The UFC should just feed Derrick Lewis unranked fighters from now on

No, it wasn't. Blaydes couldn't take Lewis down, which was his best path to victory. Lewis read Blaydes really well in that fight and timed the uppercut perfectly as Blaydes tried to changes levels. 0% flukey.

Dude, just stop. Blaydes was beating Lewis in a striking battle when he decided to go for an ill timed takedown that Lewis managed to counter perfectly with an uppercut. Lewis has been taken down repeatedly by many inferior wrestlers. Blaydes can obviously take him down. The X Factor of Lewis's power allowed him to knock out 2 fighters who were superior to him in Blaydes and Volkov. But he is not an elite fighter, he just has power and capitalized on a unique situation. Treating him like he is a top fighter will lead to more losses on his record and less post fight interviews.

I don't want that. I want Lewis to knock out everyone he fights and follow it up by cutting a meme worthy post fight interview. So stop pretending he is relevant to the title picture and let's treat him like the pudgy KO artist he is. If you actually like Lewis and want him him to be in the UFC record books you'd understand his best chance at doing so is racking up more KOs. So lets feed him that guy who just beat Despaign.

Sure sure but he is good enough to fluke beat a good fighter. Not saying he's a legit contender, not saying he would win a rematch but at hw, anything can change
Ok but why would you want him to rematch a fight he loses 8 times out of 10? I'd prefer to let history remain where it is. He beat 3 superior fighters in Ngannou, Blaydes, and Volkov. That's a legendary run for someone of his skillset. I don't want to see any rematches that would take away from what he already accomplished. At 39, let him fight a bunch of bums, extend the UFC KO record and ride off into the sunset. I say this as a fan of his. Before this fight he was 1-4 and only got to give a post fight interview once in the past 2 years. The guy could retire any day now, if you like him and his post fight interviews you should agreed with me.

Ok but why would you want him to rematch a fight he loses 8 times out of 10?
Never said I did....

just saying he can beat top 10 fighters, not favoured in any matchup. but he has the best punchers chance a fighter can have pretty much.

If he fought Stipe in his next fight i'd pick him to win, as he's active and has been fighting.

I think Waldo-Cortez acosta is a sensible step forward. or even robelis, I'd watch that too. rematch with tybura, whom I absolutely believe lewis could beat, also a sensible step forward/lateral

Last edited:
Don’t laugh, right now, he’s playing strip poker with my grandmother.

Dude, just stop. Blaydes was beating Lewis in a striking battle when he decided to go for an ill timed takedown that Lewis managed to counter perfectly with an uppercut. Lewis has been taken down repeatedly by many inferior wrestlers. Blaydes can obviously take him down. The X Factor of Lewis's power allowed him to knock out 2 fighters who were superior to him in Blaydes and Volkov. But he is not an elite fighter, he just has power and capitalized on a unique situation. Treating him like he is a top fighter will lead to more losses on his record and less post fight interviews.

I don't want that. I want Lewis to knock out everyone he fights and follow it up by cutting a meme worthy post fight interview. So stop pretending he is relevant to the title picture and let's treat him like the pudgy KO artist he is. If you actually like Lewis and want him him to be in the UFC record books you'd understand his best chance at doing so is racking up more KOs. So lets feed him that guy who just beat Despaign.
No, it isn't obvious Blayes can take him down. I watched Blaydes try and fail several times and then get absolutely smashed on his final try.

The problem here, which is common on Sherdog, is that fans decide which fighter they think is more skilled, and then when that fighter loses, they call it a fluke. Skill is important in fights, but far from only factor. Size, strength, speed and other physical characteristics are as critical skill in many fights.

As far as your idea that he shouldn't be fighting top guys and instead facing mid ranked guys, I wholeheartedly agree with you and I hope the UFC follows your advice.

That was a fluke. Dont get your hopes up. Knocking out bums is where he thrives.
A fluke is something errant that is highly unlikely to be repeated. Serra/GSP is a good example. Lewis is a KO threat in all of his fights, and while Blaydes would still be the rightful favorite in a rematch, Lewis finding the chin again would certainly be within the realm of possibility.

The guy still has the power but I agree he's running out of Top 15 guys to fight and is going to have to start fighting down at some point.

I have two "championship" thoughts about Lewis:

1) Losses in any future title fights wouldn't diminish his popularity or selling power; he's not being hyped as a Lesnar-type or a "Once In A Generation" fighter. There's no hype train to derail. He is there to make crass, funny interviews win or lose, and he delivers.

2) UFC does not want him as their HW champion. Black Beast is not the guy you want to put in front of a microphone as the face/voice representing your company.

I think both Lewis and the UFC know where his drawing power is, and they will work together to make the most of it for as long as Lewis wants to take fights.

No, it isn't obvious Blayes can take him down. I watched Blaydes try and fail several times and then get absolutely smashed on his final try.

Stawp. Rewatch his fights with Almeida and Spivac and stop being a moron. He's not on that level. He's a fat guy with knockout power who punched above his weight for two fights. He was literally losing every second of his fights with Blaydes and Volkov before he found the knockout. Those are not feats he can repeat on a consistent basis. If you actually appreciated him you would not be talking this nonsense. Let him keep those wins and ride off into the sunset.

Last edited:
He cosplayed as a contender for a while but we all knew it wasn't real. Give the guy the Arlovski treatment and lets see how long he can knock out bums and extend the knockout record. All I want to see are sloppy knockouts and funny post fight interviews. I don't want to see him against a decent fighter again. And I don't think he would mind either.
What's with the taking his pants and cup off after the fight? The guy has no class and probably the IQ of a bag of rocks...

A fluke is something errant that is highly unlikely to be repeated. Serra/GSP is a good example. Lewis is a KO threat in all of his fights, and while Blaydes would still be the rightful favorite in a rematch, Lewis finding the chin again would certainly be within the realm of possibility.
Do you want to see him fight Volkov or Blaydes in a best of 3 trilogy? Because I don't. Let him have those wins. Just stop. Those were magical performances. Let him have them.

He cosplayed as a contender for a while but we all knew it wasn't real. Give the guy the Arlovski treatment and lets see how long he can knock out bums and extend the knockout record. All I want to see are sloppy knockouts and funny post fight interviews. I don't want to see him against a decent fighter again. And I don't think he would mind either.
It's true that he could be given arlovskis old job...

The problem is he even beat guys like Curtis blaydes. Which is something nowadays arlovski wouldn't be able to do.

So it's not exactly the same barometer to measure talent.

Arlovskis meat and potatoes style was more fitting for that.

Back