The UFC refs stop fights way to soon during the ground and pound the refs need to let the guy gas

TidWell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Its very strange, Ive seen fights get stopped when the guy on the bottom is not even getting hit flush but turtling not taking a single punishing blow, but the ref steps in right before the guy on top is going to gas out right when he sees him start to tire and his ground and pound or hammer fists start getting slow and weak and tired then he will jump in

it baffles me, dont stop that shit, it slike they are protecting the guy who is gassing out so the one on the bottom doesn't come back and take advantage of wearing the guy out who blew his load from blocked ground and pound or hammer fists.

Its not like they taking a Mark Munoz beating when he fought Chris Wiedman that fight should have been stopped he was taking so many clean flush power shots on the bottom yet the ref lets it go on long that was wrong.

while some guys are shelled up not taking punches blocking everything with their arms and hands and the ref stops it. I always laugh whent he ref says defend or fight back, uh he is defending by blocking everything with his gloves forearms while covering up if he opens up the guy on top will hit him flush, let him shell up to let the guy tire out if he isnt hitting him clean on the face.

In boxing they let you let a guy punch themselves out a boxer will cover up and deflect punches on the ropes then they unless a vicious combo when the guys hands get heavy and tired.

Last edited:
Turtling is basically tapping without the stigma of tapping to strikes

The ref telling them to fight back is the warning, if they don't fight back they want out.

How do you know if the guy on top is about to gas?

That asked, if the guy on the bottom is intelligently defending and not taking much damage a fight shouldn’t be stopped.

It's to prevent the Rockhold vs Weidman situation.

So they should have waited till Weidman was tired before the stoppage?
20120711_ajw_st3_182.0.jpg

Interesting theory...
WkRaORp.gif

Its very strange, Ive seen fights get stopped when the guy on the bottom is not even getting hit flush but turtling not taking a single punishing blow, but the ref steps in right before the guy on top is going to gas out right when he sees him start to tire and his ground and pound or hammer fists start getting slow and weak and tired then he will jump in

it baffles me, dont stop that shit, it slike they are protecting the guy who is gassing out so the one on the bottom doesn't come back and take advantage of wearing the guy out who blew his load from blocked ground and pound or hammer fists.

Its not like they taking a Mark Munoz beating when he fought Chris Wiedman that fight should have been topped he was taking so many clean flush power shots on the bottom yet the ref lets it go on long

while some guys are shelled up not taking punches blocking everything with their arms and hands and the ref stops it.

In boxing they let you let a guy punch themselves out a boxer will cover up and deflect punches on the ropes then they unless a vicious combo when the guys hands get heavy and tired.

On one hand, I agree with you.
Sometimes, there are seconds left and the guy can safely wait for the round to end and come back (much like Lesnar did to Carwin).

But most of the times you know the other guy is done. His job is not to take punches until the other guy is tired.
His job is to get out of the predicament he is in.

I'm not sure that turtling on the mat like the victim of a schoolyard bully beatdown meets the criteria of intelligently defending oneself though.

Its not like they taking a Mark Munoz beating when he fought Chris Wiedman that fight should have been topped he was taking so many clean flush power shots on the bottom yet the ref lets it go on long

while some guys are shelled up not taking punches blocking everything with their arms and hands and the ref stops it.

I've noticed that too and I hate it.

The athletic commissions control the judges and the refs. They probably have a preferred outcome so theyll give decisions or stop a fight prematurely if the fighter they bet on is the one about to get the stoppage.

Another good reason why I think this could be true is because these judges do not have training, and are not former fighters.... they're just regular people that happen to be the judge. they might not even like MMA. They're just there to be controlled by the commission and they get paid as a result.

Like that one judge Adalaide Byrd... why the fuck is she a judge? Why aren't they hiring qualified people to judge. People that actually like MMA on sherdog would do a better job judging. The reason is because if they got former fighters, or qualified people, they wouldnt be able to control them.

Most of the time the seizure-like ground and pound is perceived as the guy on the receiving end not defending himself. I wish fighters would stop with the retarded hammerfists. The whole fast, rushing blur of action looks a lot more serious and dangerous than it is many times.

I'm instantly suspicious of any conclusion on this topic without GIFs supporting it.

The only way a fight should end is tapping or the towel being thrown. Just like the old dayz

Blake Grice did a great job in the last event not stopping Johns vs Munhoz fight
I was thinking during the fight that a guy like Herb would have stopped it

Most of the time the seizure-like ground and pound is perceived as the guy on the receiving end not defending himself. I wish fighters would stop with the retarded hammerfists. The whole fast, rushing blur of action looks a lot more serious and dangerous than it is many times.
yup they need to learn to strike more efficient off the top its almost like they know already if I throw 15 hammer fists hitting my opponents glove the ref is going to stop it no matter what so they throw hammer fists like crazy, but the ref saves them from gassing from those hammer fists.

Its weird I think they need to do a better job here, stop the fight if the guy is taking vicious shots on the bottom, dont stop it when you can clearly see even though the guy on the bottom isn't punching back, but he is not even taking any damage.

Some fights getting stopped from weak hammer fists while the guy is shelled up while swirling around is also annoying its obvious the guy is not going to FIGHT back why would he throw from the bottom when the most logical thing is to defend first, its strategy, fight back only makes sense when you are on the feet and covering up if you are not fighting back and getting hurt ont he cage and you dont fight back

on the ground it should just be defend, block and weather the storm without taking punishment

That guy Kevin Holland did a good job with his defense off the back he was avoiding a lot of the ground and pound.

Yeah it's kind of a loophole within the rules that both fighters understand but that doesn't make it any less dumb. I remember back when Barao fought Faber, Faber was getting hit on the forearm and gloves repeatedly and gave the ref a thumbs up a few times but because he "wasn't improving position" it got stopped. The dumb thing about that is had Faber moved it wouldn't have been an improvement at all.

Yeah it's kind of a loophole within the rules that both fighters understand but that doesn't make it any less dumb. I remember back when Barao fought Faber, Faber was getting hit on the forearm and gloves repeatedly and gave the ref a thumbs up a few times but because he "wasn't improving position" it got stopped. The dumb thing about that is had Faber moved it wouldn't have been an improvement at all.
yeah and then you see fighters throwing useless hammer fists knowing if they do that the ref might stop it for them and they get a cheap TKO win

its lame they need to do better on this, only stop it if the guy is taking LEGIT punishment not some hammer fists or weak G np that hit the gloves and forearms.

I've noticed that too and I hate it.

The athletic commissions control the judges and the refs. They probably have a preferred outcome so theyll give decisions or stop a fight prematurely if the fighter they bet on is the one about to get the stoppage.

Another good reason why I think this could be true is because these judges do not have training, and are not former fighters.... they're just regular people that happen to be the judge. they might not even like MMA. They're just there to be controlled by the commission and they get paid as a result.

Like that one judge Adalaide Byrd... why the fuck is she a judge? Why aren't they hiring qualified people to judge. People that actually like MMA on sherdog would do a better job judging. The reason is because if they got former fighters, or qualified people, they wouldnt be able to control them.
Tin foil hat mode: ON

Back