***The UFC/Bellator/MMA Off-Topic Thread v8, Somebody Had To Do It***

PHATV

Boss Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
We've had a lot of UFC-related posts lately and I went back and v7 was the last one of these where we kind of contain them. We can discuss the UFC boxing, today's MMA event, whatever here.

And as a PSA it's not boxing, but heads up that UFC has a Fight Night on ESPN live today from 3PM ET to 9PM ET.

UFC seems to have a higher threshold for cancelling events, but I guess Khabib Ferguson will get called off soon. Shame.

UFC seems to have a higher threshold for cancelling events, but I guess Khabib Ferguson will get called off soon. Shame.
They're not doing it in new york but they're trying to find another place to move it

Vegas just shut down the shows at ufc apex last night so that might be still off limits in april for all we know

Not looking good but they say they're trying

Oh, and surprise! Jones gonna Broner...

• 612f30f5e61d121b8f9a1d8e93f5df1e

MMA Weekly
    Jon Jones arrest: Albuquerque police officers detail his DWI, negligent gun use arrest
    UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones was arrested early Thursday morning by Albuquerque Police for aggravated DWI and negligent use of a firearm. The arresting officers provided their accounts of the circumstances surrounding Jones's arrest.

fa320281fd4be9a52be0d7afd8f4512b

MMA Weekly
    Jon Jones arrested for aggravated DWI and negligent use of firearm
    UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones was arrested early Thursday morning by Albuquerque Police for aggravated DWI and negligent use of a firearm.Jones was arrested at 1:01 a.m. after police responded to reports of gunshots and found him in the driver's seat of his 2019 Jeep with the engine running and the vehicle in park. Jones denied firing a gun, but appeared intoxicated to officers.The 32-year-old failed a field sobriety test. Later, Jones took two breathalyzers and registered above the legal limit both times.During a search of the vehicle, police found a black handgun under the driver's seat and a bottle of Recuerdo (alcohol) behind the passenger seat. He was arrested and booked for aggravated driving while intoxicated, negligent use of a firearms, possession of an open container, and no proof of insurance.

Video:
    https://sports.yahoo.com/jon-jones-arrest-video-dwi-202331515.html

Dana is going to kill it if he's the only sport in action. Brilliant business move.

Sports
MMA Weekly
Dana White absolves Nurmagomedov: ‘Khabib didn’t fly back to Russia; he got flown back to Russia’
UFC President Dana White has been hit from all angles as he tried to keep the UFC 249 main event between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson intact.At the end of the day, though he has been able to keep UFC 249 on the schedule for April 18, it just wasn’t possible to keep Khabib vs. Ferguson at the top of the bill.

This will probably end terribly, but the debacle will at least be entertaining.

Someone please find the full "Pride33 The Second Coming" 2007 show from Vegas and post it for a coronavirus fix. I was at a friend's house party and he had a newer giant Panasonic plasma TV. 50" I think it is, when that was unheard of (I say is because it's still going and has a perfect picture here at my house and was not "new" but "newer" in 2007). 15 years and still going strong. I feel like he went $5000 for it, originally. 2005ish.
I got him to get the PPV and all the UFC and boxing casuals that were there (including him) knew nothing of Pride, but went absolutely nuts for the show. It was epic and I was hailed a hero. True story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride_33

This will probably end terribly, but the debacle will at least be entertaining.

Faster than I expected, but the reaction in the heavies is hilarious.

Great business move? Yeah right<45>
It was brilliant. Results would have been as epic for the UFC as the SpikeTV deal back in the day. He would have all eyes for any live events and if they could have pulled off the weekly or every other week matchups, ratings would have been spectacular. Still can be if he can get them to buy in. No reason you can't have these events with no crowd and with testing the fighters and their people. No reason at all.

It was brilliant. Results would have been as epic for the UFC as the SpikeTV deal back in the day. He would have all eyes for any live events and if they could have pulled off the weekly or every other week matchups, ratings would have been spectacular. Still can be if he can get them to buy in. No reason you can't have these events with no crowd and with testing the fighters and their people. No reason at all.
I don't think there would've been any more people watching than usual. WWE put on WrestleMania for $10 and ratings were shit. People aren't paying $65 for empty arena fights at a time like this where millions are out of work. Just not a smart way to spend money right now.

I don't think there would've been any more people watching than usual. WWE put on WrestleMania for $10 and ratings were shit. People aren't paying $65 for empty arena fights at a time like this where millions are out of work. Just not a smart way to spend money right now.
Yeah, they wouldn't be able to continue to the PPV model week after week, I didn't mean to insinuate that. But they would have TONS of viewers if it were on ESPN, and given the current state of things, why wouldn't ESPN be happy to oblige? Not like anyone is watching ESPN right now. Ad revenues and new viewership would have been huge, IMO.

Back