The turning point for Hendricks vs Thompson

Arm Barbarian

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
When Johny had him up against the cage and could not get his head between his legs, nor control him.

At that point, he remained at distance. Fatal error against an absolute hitman.

I saw Hendricks beat right then. At distance against Wonderboy, anyone is f-ed.

Ya that was the moment you knew he was in trouble. Reminded me of Rousey Holm

The moment all wrestlers got fucked was when USADA started testing and the boxers and karate guys started killing all of them.

Yes, Hendricks made a mistake by being passive in that fight

He has the chin to eat Wonderboy counters, so why not. Clinch is the only he beats him.

Hendricks is getting old though, gray hair on his beard

Well honestly ellenberger nearly ko'd Wonderboy. Hendricks looked mentally weak, but also Thompson looked ten times better than his last fight

Turning point was just after BJM said lets get it on.

this fight reminded me of rousey vs holm with ronda moving forward and eating counters

That first head kick, i think he missed but that shook hendricks.

I think after Thompson landed his 1st combo in the middle of the cage after stuffing the takedown. Some of those shots genuinely hurt Hendricks. I think he was expecting to get hit but assumed he'd walk through them.

Once he realized Thompson could really hurt him he lost confidence and his momentum died.

Last edited:
The moment all wrestlers got fucked was when USADA started testing and the boxers and karate guys started killing all of them.
Ya I just made a thread that touches on that. Now that wrestlers aren't superpowered with EPO and steroids...it's a lot harder for them to take guys down. It's the striking era now...
You've got Dominick Cruz, Mcgregor, Wonderboy, Rockhold, Condit, even Jones. All top of their divisions...all diverse strikers with great footwork.

Those who said cleaning up the sport would make it boring were sure wrong.

Ya I just made a thread that touches on that. Now that wrestlers aren't superpowered with EPO and steroids...it's a lot harder for them to take guys down. It's the striking era now...
You've got Dominick Cruz, Mcgregor, Wonderboy, Rockhold, Condit, even Jones. All top of their divisions...all diverse strikers with great footwork.

Those who said cleaning up the sport would make it boring were sure wrong.

Good point. Playing field certainly seems to have been leveled.

Hendricks was arrogant as fuck and got what he deserved

He has the chin to eat Wonderboy counters, so why not. Clinch is the only he beats him.

That chin can only hold so many Wonder punches....

Clearly he doesn't have "the chin to eat Wonderboy's counters" as we've just seen. Maybe one day you'll realize that "your chin" or the shots you've been able to take in the past are irrelevant when you face a surgical striker who can hit you in the right places without even putting a lot into them. You suggest he has a good chin so he should just rush him, did you not see the numerous times he tried that and got tagged coming in? It's not easy to fight someone who can strike so well going backwards, doing damage and maintaining distance at the same time. This is not a matter of age, Johny has never fought a striker as good as Wonderboy.

He did say that the first time he got ahold of Wonderboy he would feel his power.

And when that DIDN'T happen, I think he went, "Oh f*ck."

LOL

The moment I remember thinking Hendricks lost all the momentum was when Brian Stann was talking about Hendricks slowly pushing him to the cage. He was almost there after walking Stephen all the way across the cage and then Thompson just feinted and listlessly circled away. Hendricks looked like he sighed and then Wonderboy shit on him real good.

I agree. I was actually a fan of his until he got the belt and started acting like an asshole.

Then he started point fighting made it worse. Watching him KO guys with that straight left was a thing of beauty a few years back.

One thought; didn't GSP claim Hendricks was doing PEDs? Could be the reason he was skinny for the first time and looked abysmal.

Back