The turning point for Hendricks vs Thompson

Clearly he doesn't have "the chin to eat Wonderboy's counters" as we've just seen. Maybe one day you'll realize that "your chin" or the shots you've been able to take in the past are irrelevant when you face a surgical striker who can hit you in the right places without even putting a lot into them. You suggest he has a good chin so he should just rush him, did you not see the numerous times he tried that and got tagged coming in? It's not easy to fight someone who can strike so well going backwards, doing damage and maintaining distance at the same time. This is not a matter of age, Johny has never fought a striker as good as Wonderboy.
Thank you, great post.

People want to make excuses like his chin or he got old.

No thompson doesnt throw his weight into a punch like hendricks does. He snipes and if you know striking, precision and timing are king.

In the words of conor. Precision beats power. Timing beats speed.

Hendricks was outclassed in striking. The guy needs evolve instead of just trying to get stronger.

The moment all wrestlers got fucked was when USADA started testing and the boxers and karate guys started killing all of them.

One thought; didn't GSP claim Hendricks was doing PEDs? Could be the reason he was skinny for the first time and looked abysmal.

t5s4TQ1.gif

Ya I just made a thread that touches on that. Now that wrestlers aren't superpowered with EPO and steroids...it's a lot harder for them to take guys down. It's the striking era now...
You've got Dominick Cruz, Mcgregor, Wonderboy, Rockhold, Condit, even Jones. All top of their divisions...all diverse strikers with great footwork.

Those who said cleaning up the sport would make it boring were sure wrong.

half of those guys you listed (cruz, rockhold and jones) are wrestlers who picked up striking tho

Thank you, great post.

People want to make excuses like his chin or he got old.

No thompson doesnt throw his weight into a punch like hendricks does. He snipes and if you know striking, precision and timing are king.

In the words of conor. Precision beats power. Timing beats speed.

Hendricks was outclassed in striking. The guy needs evolve instead of just trying to get stronger.
We're on the same page. I pointed out during the build up to this fight that i've never seen Johny doing any sort of technique in any of the pre fight videos before his fights but always the same weight lifting routines while relying solely on a big left hand. He is not evolving as a Martial Artist and he's come up against someone who is constantly improving as a fighter every day. I said Wonderboy would put on a show and he blew my expectations away, brilliant performance.

I was ready to accept some lay n pray when Hendricks had him against the cage. Was quite surprised when Thompson stayed on his feet then pushed away.

It's true, Hendricks gets all of his power from shoving his head into mens' nether regions.

I agree. I was actually a fan of his until he got the belt and started acting like an asshole.

Then he started point fighting made it worse. Watching him KO guys with that straight left was a thing of beauty a few years back.

I will always appreciate the role he played in getting Fitch out of the UFC but since then he's become tough to...what's the word here...enjoy? I don't know. There's a word. Put it there.

So fucking glad he got stopped.

Hendricks had that Ronda Rousey game plan, push forward at all times and eat shots.

That first head kick, i think he missed but that shook hendricks.

Yeah, that's when I saw the look of hope leave Hendricks eyes. He looked like someone just shat in his cereal.

half of those guys you listed (cruz, rockhold and jones) are wrestlers who picked up striking tho

Fair point. But they all prefer to keep fights standing. They have all become very effective standing up. Rockholds brazil kicks are an incredible offensive weapon...he has certainly proven himself to be a striker. Jones developed a really diverse arsenal and is a great striker...

Cruz has been out of the game a long time but you saw how effective he was...he has fantastic footwork and although he doesnt really have arsenal of diverse strikes...he is wildly unorthodox.

Yeah, that's when I saw the look of hope leave Hendricks eyes. He looked like someone just shat in his cereal.

I think he may have actually sharted a little in his shorts there.

Back