The title picture at women's strawweight - assessing the champion and the four top contenders

You keep saying "looked good vs Shevchenko" like jj wasn't beat up 90% of the fight for a resounding 49-46 (and most media say 50-45) that wasn't good for her she was outclassed. A young JJ finishes Michelle she's not better then she used to be.
Considering that Valentina is significantly bigger and is also the only women who came close to beating Amanda Nunes in recent times, i'd say getting outstruck by only 11 strikes (Shevchenko 89/78 Jedrzejczyk) isn't exactly a bad performance, especially after moving up and coming off two losses.
Also: i don't know if a younger Joanna would've finished Michelle, but here's a video about Jedrzejczyk which goes in detail about her showing many things and skills she hasn't shown prior in her career, so yeah, i think it's pretty fair to say she has improved:

Your wall of Suarez text doesn't even mention her neck injury and lack of training result, which she's still reevaluate this December. This makes her further from contention then the Calvillo vs Rodriguez winner.
My "wall of text" was generally meant to dicuss those fighters since they have already shown that they're to potentially fight for the title in the future, it wasn't exactly meant to say "who of these four women will beat Weili Zhang in the next four months?" so yeah.
Nina likewise isn't worth mentioning since she's taking time off to make babies.
Aight.

I would put Marina Rodriguez in this mix. I think she's a problem for all these women.

I would put Marina Rodriguez in this mix. I think she's a problem for all these women.
There seem to be quite a few upcoming prospects in the division, i'll try to have a look at all of them, but until then: want to elaborate on what type of fighter she is?

There seem to be quite a few upcoming prospects in the division, i'll try to have a look at all of them, but until then: want to elaborate on what type of fighter she is?
Check out her last fight vs Torres. She was more dominant against her than any of the champs. Now some of that may be Torres getting older & worse, but maybe not. She's long, good range weapons, excellent in the clinch, solid cardio, & she's only been fighting pro for less than 5 years. 1 of those fighters who looks noticeably sharper each time out. Not that young in age, but no much wear-n-tear at all.

Check out her last fight vs Torres. She was more dominant against her than any of the champs. Now some of that may be Torres getting older & worse, but maybe not. She's long, good range weapons, excellent in the clinch, solid cardio, & she's only been fighting pro for less than 5 years. 1 of those fighters who looks noticeably sharper each time out. Not that young in age, but no much wear-n-tear at all.

What I liked about her is that she actually knows how to use her reach.

Marina Rodriguez Highlights HD
•Sep 16, 2018
FIGHTprospectsTV

Watched the highlight-reel; yeah i agree, she really looks very good! Curious as to how she'll do in her next fight!

update

I would add Esparza and Xiaonan and remove Suarez due to injuries.

Back