The time is now, for the decline of the UFC?

I am not going to agree with the decline theory.

I do think that the recent signings of Cro Cop, CM Punk, and Rampage are all short term shots intended to boost the numbers over the next year or so. I think there will be a couple more of these types of names added to the roster as well.

The problem is that these guys very unlikely to make a run at a title and they will be taking up a spot on the card that the younger talent could be filling. I don't see the UFC adding any real value for the dollar here, just names to sell tickets and PPV. I hope that real discerning fans can tell the difference and don't get suckered into spending money on cards that look great on paper but can't live up to the expectations.

The problem is that these guys very unlikely to make a run at a title and they will be taking up a spot on the card that the younger talent could be filling. I don't see the UFC adding any real value for the dollar here, just names to sell tickets and PPV. I hope that real discerning fans can tell the difference and don't get suckered into spending money on cards that look great on paper but can't live up to the expectations.

This!

They are bringing these names in to get the casual fan to purchase the ppv. Raising the price of the ppvs, however, is going to directly counteract that.

Well the fact that they're resigning older versions of guys that they let go years ago says a little something about their lack of up and coming younger stars.

Last edited:
Didn't they just obliterate the viewership record for Fox Sports 1 on Sunday night, and also recently get 1.2 million people to watch 2 115lb girls that nobody ever heard of fight for a title in a division that nobody ever heard of?

I do think that the recent signings of Cro Cop, CM Punk, and Rampage are all short term shots intended to boost the numbers over the next year or so. I think there will be a couple more of these types of names added to the roster as well.

I think the point is to bring in these names and have them fight up and comers to give them recognition. I don't think the UFC is placing their hopes on aging stars to pull them back up.

LOL @ how often things like this pop up.

They just did 400K in December, 750-820K in January and then record high FS1 numbers. They've done pretty well in the last 30 days. But oh man, they signed Cro Cop...

Also a show at a soccer stadium halfway around the world Saturday and another big ppv after that.

^ Brilliant points. The signings of Rampage and Cro Cop kind of indicates the lack of depth in the heavier weight divisions of the UFC as well. It's easier to market fighters who are already well known than to bring new talent in and build up their hype.

Business wise the UFC has been on a decline for a few years now, though it is plateaued and is still the dominant brand in MMA by far. The Jones fiasco will actually help his popularity. With him, Conor and possibly Brock returning, things are actually looking up.

"The way Jones is treated"

He was fined, and broke no other rules. So really - fans want him to be treated harsher than any other fighter would be. They want the UFC to do something *special* and treat him differently. That makes sense.

Look up fighters who were busted for coke, or any other drug and see what their punishment was. Melvin was suspended for coke, cowboy was suspended for a fucking water pill. Nick had a win overturned and suspended for smoking weed. Jones had a slap on the wrist. He was fined $25000 after getting paid like $500000. Stop trying to stick up for him because you just look foolish.

Look up fighters who were busted for coke, or any other drug and see what their punishment was. Melvin was suspended for coke, cowboy was suspended for a fucking water pill. Nick had a win overturned and suspended for smoking weed. Jones had a slap on the wrist. He was fined $25000 after getting paid like $500000. Stop trying to stick up for him because you just look foolish.

Didn't those guys get busted in post-fight tests?

Jones got busted in a test 4 weeks before the fight. His post fight test results came back fine.

Derp1.jpg

It's declining much before you signed here.

All of those were during the fight, when it is banned. Jones didn't.

I dont get why this concept is so hard for people. Look up fighters who were busted out of competition for drugs that are only banned in competition and see what their punishment was. I'll wait...

None of those are out of competition like Jones. You can disagree with the rule but you are comparing different circumstances.

Back