The Tale of Erskine777 and the Barbell: A Lightweight's Lifting Log

UPDATE- epic fail...

Well, I've been pretty busy these last 3 weeks (I've had to finish up my experiment in which seemingly everything that could went wrong, write several papers and prepare a presentation), but I'm the only one to blame. There's no way I'll be able to make my end of july weightlifting goals and I've already made my peace with that. I've moved back home for the summer and don't have any access to weights on a regular basis (due to both location and job hours) so instead I'll be focusing on conditioning for the next six weeks or so.

Hill sprints
~50mx8 on roughly little less than 45 degree incline
First hill sprints in the last six months and damn did I really feel it in my hamstrings. These are from a rolling start rather than a dead start.

Burpees
10x15
These were spread out over an hour as I was watching TV.

Handstand pushups
5x10
Against a wall since I don't have the balance yet

Pistols
5x5 for each leg
Having some trouble with my left leg

Alternating Jump Rope and sledgehammer tabata intervals x 3 total intervals

2 mile LSD jog.

Trying to start this log back up again. Kind of got out of training during the last month and a half when i was back home, visiting old friends and going surfing nearly every day. I even bought a one-man canoe and went paddling quite often.

Anyways, I realize that the title of this log is now a bit of a misnomer, seeing that I am going to resume training in judo and, hopefully, BJJ. As of yet, I don't have a schedule down for those club sports, but I anticipate that I will be cutting down my number of days in the weight room and amping up conditioning as well as training. I'll update my first post with current stats and tentative schedule.

Today was the first meeting of my university's BJJ club and it turned out pretty good. There were 7 of us- 1 purple, 3 blues, and 3 newbies (myself included). After the introductions we just rolled for around an hour. I only have a few lessons in BJJ from the short duration of the club last year before it kind of fizzled out, but I have a background in highschool wrestling and judo so at least I'm familiar with grappling. Unfortnately I have very limited experience with subs since highschool judo in Hawaii doesn't allow them, so i walked into a bewildering array of subs. I got choked 6 times and I know my neck is going to hurt like a bitch tomorrow. I'm not comfortable AT ALL being in someone's guard and I was having a lot of trouble passing. But I definitely learned valuable tips and met some friendly, knowledgable people. The problem is that everyone has such different schedules that it's likely we can only meet once a week probably on fridays. Oh well...more time for lifting.

Squats
1x8 135lbs
1x6 185
4x3 225

DB BP
1x10 50s
1x8 60s
3x5 70s

I didn't really want to overexert myself in the weightroom; today was really just an assessment day and I wanted to get used to lifting heavy once again. The squats felt a little tough getting out of the hole, but my form and flexibility is still good. BP felt fine.

Pullups
1x10
1x10
1x8
1x5
1x5
My pullup numbers dropped a lot. I'll probably be throwing pullups into a lot of my workouts from now on since a marine recruiting booth with a pullup station has appeared on my campus, where if you perform over 25, you get a free underarmor shirt. I love free shit.

First meeting of the judo club today. Turned out okay I guess, but I am a little disappointed in the person in charge. He immediately gave off an air of arrogance and gave unwanted, as well as just plain-wrong, criticisms, even after admitting that he "sucked" at standup. He seemingly has no concept of kuzushi (unbalancing your opponent) and kept on making me fight left-handed so it was more comfortable for him to throw me. Then he osoto-garied a whitebelt with 3 days experience and threw him on his head. He even yelled at me for taking a water break after an hour of practice. Shit... But other than that douchebag, it was refreshing to do some randori again, even though I'm a bit rusty. The DB didn't bring his gi today so I couldn't throw him back but when he does I imagine that the taiotoshi of the century is headed his way...and I think I'm just going to lure him into doing a triangle choke so I can slam the shit out of him...

Back