The story of one punch

m040

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
The matchup between Dos Santos and Cain is the story of one punch.

Today, Cain landed the punch first and then took advantage of it to take the fight out of dos Santos.

Last time, dos Santos landed the punch and KTFO Cain.

I think Cain is the more technically sound fighter and will win more often when they face each other. But this matchup will always be determined by one punch.

JDS was looking amazing until he gassed.

Cains got amazing cardio for a chubby 240 lb dude.

I agree. JDS was looking like a boss defending all those takedowns. Then he got hit really fucking hard and honestly I think Cain could have finished at that point with like 2 more punches. If JDS just got KOd that instant people could be saying shit about it being a "fluke" like how JDS KO was a "fluke."

Instead JDS fights on and gets the shit beaten out of him. I really believe JDS' TDD is still amongst the best in MMA. He just needs to learn how to read the shot better and keep his hands up. The low hands obviously work well to defend the takedowns but a guy like Cain has the capability of throwing fast overhands and JDS was eating them all night

All fights are decided by one punch if it lands clean and has enough power behind it.

It's more a story of how the punch came about. Cain just overwhelmed him with pressure.

He gassed because he got punched in the face.

Cain landed the big punch after JDS gassed.

Cain pressured JDS like crazy and caused him to gas, so im not taking anything away from him.

Fan of both guys.

I came into the thread thinking that this would be a thread about Pickett.

Excuse me

That's whats makes the HW the most interesting weight class to watch

Even if yes JDS got solidly rocked in the first, their was never any doubt in my mind that the fight was not over and that JDS could at anytime rock Cain has solid has he was.

Never expect a heavy weight to remain champion for to long no matter how good he is.

All it takes is 1 solid punch and you are not at 100% anymore.

EDIT{unless Jon Jones moves to HW that is}

The matchup between Dos Santos and Cain is the story of one punch.

Today, Cain landed the punch first and then took advantage of it to take the fight out of dos Santos.

Last time, dos Santos landed the punch and KTFO Cain.

I think Cain is the more technically sound fighter and will win more often when they face each other. But this matchup will always be determined by one punch.

50% right.

Last time the story was, of course, one punch.
This time it was not.

Even without that punch, Cain came with a game plan that JDS was not ready for.

I don't know why people were saying JDS was looking good until the big shot Cain landed. Cain was thoroughly dominating the fight from the onset. JDS was very good at defending takedowns.

I don't know why people were saying JDS was looking good until the big shot Cain landed. Cain was thoroughly dominating the fight from the onset. JDS was very good at defending takedowns.

50% right.

Last time the story was, of course, one punch.
This time it was not.

Even without that punch, Cain came with a game plan that JDS was not ready for.

Which was supprizing to me as prior to this fight JDS looked well able to counter such gameplans, Cain wasnt hitting incredabley timed takedowns or counters afterall he was standing and trading with him.

Obviously the big story has to be JDS's cardio being so poor but also the reason it got as far as that was I'd say down to him being unable to deal with Cain's pressure. Its only one fight so I don't think we can make too sweeping a judgement but could it be that opponants showing JDS so much respect has really helped him? he did afterall explode onto the scene with those big finishes on Werdum and Struve(neither exactly monsters standing at that stage), since then everyone has been very respectful of his power.

We have seen before that he is certainly very hitable and Cain getting in his face and doing so might not have exposed a weakness in chin but perhaps a weakness mentally and in technique?

Last edited:
You gotta have more than jab, uppercut & ttd in your arsenal.
No knees, elbows, kicks or grappling wtf??!
JDS is pretty much exposed by now.

Which was supprizing to me as prior to this fight JDS looked well able to counter such gameplans, Cain wasnt hitting incredabley timed takedowns or counters afterall he was standing and trading with him.

Obviously the big story has to be JDS's cardio being so poor but also the reason it got as far as that was I'd say down to him being unable to deal with Cain's pressure. Its only one fight so I don't think we can make too sweeping a judgement but could it be that opponants showing JDS so much respect has really helped him? he did afterall explode onto the scene with those big finishes on Werdum and Struve(neither exactly monsters standing at that stage), since then everyone has been very respectful of his power.

We have seen before that he is certainly very hitable and Cain getting in his face and doing so might not have exposed a weakness in chin but perhaps a weakness mentally and in technique?

I agree with you.
Something happened to JDS in this fight.
The big right he got in the 1st that took him down was a major blow, it did not come when he was tired as it was so early in the fight , I guess he was not ready for Cain in this fight.
Might be also mental preparation (??)
Maybe he was depending too much on his KO power that if not finish his opponents was slowing down any HW in the UFC prior to this fight.

This is a very strange way to look at the fight...

You gotta have more than jab, uppercut & ttd in your arsenal.
No knees, elbows, kicks or grappling wtf??!
JDS is pretty much exposed by now.

I dont know why everybody are praising JDS TDD?
yeah he did some nice TDD, but he was escaping all the time , he never managed to attack and reverse any of the take down attempts.

Frankly speaking, even though I'm coming from a BJJ background , I dont like to see a fight which is a 5 rounds of fighter attempting single legs to a pathetic degree, while the other fighter who cant capitalize and just runs a way back to a stand position.

That's why I miss Pride rules, how many times Cain was on the ground empty handed looking at JDS back running a way from him to a stand position.
In Japan he'd get a flying stomp to the head and never try this again.

Back