• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The statistics of the average American

I know it isn’t a contest but holy smokes I kick the hell out of the average American
To be honest, I think sherdoggers (the more frequent posters) are probably well off. OR.... something is seriously wrong because I know for sure that if I was struggling in any way financially there'd be no way I'd be spending any time on a message board.

Yeah so im not sure how only 4 in 1000 could be correct. If that was the case it would mean 996 marriages succeed and 4 fail in 1000 marriages sir. Which kinda makes me question the whole list unless im not understanding something properly.

No mate. Not every person in the US gets married, a rather small percentage overall.

These stats are obviously made up or super misconstrued though

I'd like to see the stats filtered and subdivided by level of education, participation trophy vs. no participation trophy, sports vs. never played competitive sports, good sized boobs vs. flatchested.

I'm not average at all I have 6 STDs and it burns when I pee

How does the average american have less than 1k in savings but has money for a home by age 34?
Banks have these loans called mortgages that offer high amount of cash that can be paid back monthly for 30 years

Reactions: lsa
- Has less than 1k savings successful business owner with a high net worth.
- Doesn’t buy a home until 34. Bought our home when i was 29
- Still has 42k of student loan debt at age 50 I have zero student loan debt, my wife also has zero because we paid it off about 8 years after she graduated.
- Is 17 pounds overweight Yes
- Watches 33 hours of TV a week. I’ll watch some sports and YouTube or some old tv series with the wife. At most 20 hours a week but usually way less.
- Spends $69 a day. Hard to compare this as I buy a lot every day for my business
- Consumes 11 alcoholic drinks a week I rarely drink. 1-2 drinks a month.
- Wants a career change. Same job for 14 years and no plans to change.
- 4 out of 1000 Americans get divorced married 14 years
- 1 out of every 4 American has some form of STD. Nope, never

You are exactly 17 lbs overweight?

That would include every man woman and child.

Makes the stat even less meaningful and random if you are padding with kids that can't even legally get married.

They bounded the student loan to people over 50 wich makes sense since kids have 0 debt and will pull down the average.

No mate. Not every person in the US gets married, a rather small percentage overall.

Yeah but also not all people go to college. The average student debt at 50 sounds bullshit too, but maybe I am wrong. I know more people go to college now than in the past but those generations are still not 50.

These stats are obviously made up or super misconstrued though

This.

Last edited:
- Has less than 1k savings successful business owner with a high net worth.
- Doesn’t buy a home until 34. Bought our home when i was 29
- Still has 42k of student loan debt at age 50 I have zero student loan debt, my wife also has zero because we paid it off about 8 years after she graduated.
- Is 17 pounds overweight Yes
- Watches 33 hours of TV a week. I’ll watch some sports and YouTube or some old tv series with the wife. At most 20 hours a week but usually way less.
- Spends $69 a day. Hard to compare this as I buy a lot every day for my business
- Consumes 11 alcoholic drinks a week I rarely drink. 1-2 drinks a month.
- Wants a career change. Same job for 14 years and no plans to change.
- 4 out of 1000 Americans get divorced married 14 years
- 1 out of every 4 American has some form of STD. Nope, never
Average Sherbro. Built different.

<{UberTS}>

Does someone wanna explain to this guy how math and interest work or
Oh I’m sure I know how those things work better than most. I do math every day when im running my business interests. What I’m saying is I find it hard to believe that’s what the average American owes. Seems super high.

The average student loan debt for a bachelor degree is like 25k for 2021. ~30% of todays population has that. People who are 50 now would have paid a fraction of that and education levels were lower then. Plus because of inflation and soaring education / living costs, their educations would have been cheaper. And sure, there’s PHD’s out there but how many Americans have them? (~2% today) Seems like a really high average, especially for age 50. There’s a few other points on that list I’m not buying either though.

Just saying I find it hard to believe the average 50 year old American is in debt that much to student loan when you factor in the entire population. Seems way off. I get interest and paying principal, I’m saying that’s a significant sum of student debt for the average population and I doubt that. We already know the divorce rate is much higher than that list so I doubt they’re other statistics as well.

Oh I’m sure I know how those things work better than most. I do math every day when im running my business interests. What I’m saying is I find it hard to believe that’s what the average American owes. Seems super high.

The average student loan debt for a bachelor degree is like 25k for 2021. ~30% of todays population has that. People who are 50 now would have paid a fraction of that and education levels were lower then. Plus because of inflation and soaring education / living costs, their educations would have been cheaper. And sure, there’s PHD’s out there but how many Americans have them? (~2% today) Seems like a really high average, especially for age 50. There’s a few other points on that list I’m not buying either though.

Just saying I find it hard to believe the average 50 year old American is in debt that much to student loan when you factor in the entire population. Seems way off. I get interest and paying principal, I’m saying that’s a significant sum of student debt for the average population and I doubt that. We already know the divorce rate is much higher than that list so I doubt they’re other statistics as well.
If you're not American I get it's hard to wrap your mind around how truly fucked it is here.

Your Stat is controlling for degree level. Last I checked, the average amount of student loan debt being carried, overall, is like ~$40,000. Interest on principal that large compounds like crazy and thats how you get stories about people paying like $250,000 on a $50k loan and still having 20,000 left to pay off.

They divested public money from public universities, and then replaced that money with private student loans. Going to university in the US as a middle class person, means you're going to have a lifetime tax on your earnings.

When my dad was in college in the 60s, one month of his GI Bill paid his entire semester of tuition. His rent was $50. Now, tuition at a cheap state school is $14,000 and rent is $1500/month.

That's how this shit happens. It's fucking insane. It's not sustainable. An entire generation of workers is not going to pay trillions of dollars in student loan repayments.

Last edited:
Back