Movies The Shining vs. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Which is the better film?

Which is the better film?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Two Jack Nicholson classics. Love them both.

The Shining - (plot summary):

Haunted by a persistent writer's block, the aspiring author and recovering alcoholic, Jack Torrance, drags his wife, Wendy, and his gifted son, Danny, up snow-capped Colorado's secluded Overlook Hotel after taking up a job as an off-season caretaker.

As the cavernous hotel shuts down for the season, the manager gives Jack a grand tour, and the facility's chef, the ageing Mr Hallorann, has a fascinating chat with Danny about a rare psychic gift called "The Shining", making sure to warn him about the hotel's abandoned rooms, and, in particular, the off-limits Room 237.

However, instead of overcoming the dismal creative rut, little by little, Jack starts losing his mind, trapped in an unforgiving environment of seemingly endless snowstorms, and a gargantuan silent prison riddled with strange occurrences and eerie visions.

Now, the incessant voices inside Jack's head demand sacrifice. Is Jack capable of murder?

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - (plot summary):

McMurphy has a criminal past and has once again gotten himself into trouble and is sentenced by the court. To escape labor duties in prison, McMurphy pleads insanity and is sent to a ward for the mentally unstable.

Once here, McMurphy both endures and stands witness to the abuse and degradation of the oppressive Nurse Ratched, who gains superiority and power through the flaws of the other inmates. McMurphy and the other inmates band together to make a rebellious stance against the atrocious Nurse.

s-l1200.webp

312473107_175268305165057_5151034551895225896_n.jpg

They're both edging their way up to a 10/10 but I guess if I had to pick a favorite it would be Cuckoo's Nest. Both of them beat almost any other movie in these matchups though.

The most difficult one yet. Both are tremendous films, and incredible stories. Had to go with The Shining in the end, but it's a coin toss pretty much

The Shining, but Nicholson is great in both.

If they make a more faithful film adaptation of One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest that includes Chief Bromden’s schizophrenic hallucinations and a bustier Nurse Ratched as depicted in the novel, I might change my vote.

upload_2023-10-1_5-20-39.jpeg

Honestly I found OFOTCN to be overrated. Maybe I’m just more into horror movies
I never cared for it either. I think part of it is I don't give a shit about convicts. I finally watched Dead Man Walking the other day and couldn't muster up any sympathy or interest in Penn's character whatsoever. Was glad they put him down.

The Shining, but Nicholson is great in both.

If they make a more faithful film adaptation of One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest that includes Chief Bromden’s schizophrenic hallucinations and a bustier Nurse Ratched as depicted in the novel, I might change my vote.

View attachment 1004475

Is that pic photoshopped? I don't remember her breast being that big and showing that much in the film. lol

Chose The Shining even though I never watched the whole thing. Enjoyed the alternate interpretation of the film.

I never cared for it either. I think part of it is I don't give a shit about convicts. I finally watched Dead Man Walking the other day and couldn't muster up any sympathy or interest in Penn's character whatsoever. Was glad they put him down.

They weren't convicts in Cuckoo's Nest though if that makes a difference. They were psychiatric patients...most of them voluntarily committed.

They weren't convicts in Cuckoo's Nest though if that makes a difference. They were psychiatric patients...most of them voluntarily committed.
Nicholson's character was a child rapist who pretended to be insane.

Both amazing.

The Shining had Kubrick's cinematography, so to me very little beats it, probably only Kubrick films themselves.

Is that pic photoshopped? I don't remember her breast being that big and showing that much in the film. lol

Yeah, it’s fake, Louise Fletcher never looked like that. In the book, Nurse Ratched’s large endowment is covered in great detail and is an important plot device for the final confrontation between her and McMurphy. It’s one of the many elements that wasn’t included in the film adaptation. :(

Back