The Sherdogger's Guide To Fish Oil Supplementation

I hope my 2000 + fish oil pills are still good

I daren't bite them yet

MikeMartial,

The three essential omega-3 fatty acids for human nutrition are ALA, DHA, and EPA. There's always a lot of talk about taking fish oil for DHA & EPA, but not so much about flaxseed for ALA. This thread is a perfect example. Why make a thread about the importance of EFA's and hardly mention ALA?

Well the thread is titled "The Sherdogger's Guide To Fish Oil Supplementation."

ALA is technically the only essential omega-3 fatty acid, because it can't be synthesized by humans. So that would technically make it the most important.

About your canola oil comment, the same thing could be said about EPA and DHA. EPA and DHA are readily available in fish and fish oils, but people aren't willing to eat fish each day. If they aren't willing to eat fish, why would they be willing to take 2 tbsp of canola oil, which is more calories and way less protein than the fish? I think most people would prefer to take an ALA supplement, just like they would prefer to take the EPA and DHA supplements.

A. You cook with canola and olive oil.

B. You don't need very much ALA in your diet. Saying it's the most important is a pretty misguided since it doesn't serve near as many purposes as EPA or DHA.

Thanks for the write-up Mike.

And Ian, I still laugh every time I think about you/fish oil.

thanks, very helpful.
question: my bottle of Spring Valley fish oil has a MEG-3 symbol and says that it's 99.99% purified, but no mention of molecular distillation. should i continue taking it?

thanks, very helpful.
question: my bottle of Spring Valley fish oil has a MEG-3 symbol and says that it's 99.99% purified, but no mention of molecular distillation. should i continue taking it?

Yeah. It should be fine.

Well the thread is titled "The Sherdogger's Guide To Fish Oil Supplementation."

Right. That was part of my question. Why? Why not make it about Omega-3 fatty acids? It seems just as important to me to supplement with ALA as it does with EPA and DHA. I was just asking why everyone talks about fish oil but never about the other essential fatty acid ALA.

because just like "omega 6" we get plenty of it in our diets (if we do indeed all have clean diets) and there is no need to supplement it.

i say this without any numbers or sources to back it up, but it's what i have in mind so i'm sure i read it somewhere before (or just made it uP)

A. You cook with canola and olive oil.

Well, some people might. A lot of people watching their calorie intake probably don't. Some people also probably get more than enough DHA and EPA from eating fish everyday. I eat a lot of omega-3 fortified foods, but I'm 100% positive I wouldn't get the recommended amounts every single day without supplements.

I was just asking why the other essential omega 3 fatty acid wasn't ever discussed around here. Most people don't get the recommended amount each day. That's all. Not trying to argue and no need for anyone to get uppity. I was just making conversation and trying to understand others' viewpoints.

because just like "omega 6" we get plenty of it in our diets (if we do indeed all have clean diets) and there is no need to supplement it.

If that's the case, then that's the kind of response I was looking for. That seems really hard for me to believe, but maybe everyone just eats a lot differently than I do.

Excellent Thread Mike, Thanks!

Btw, MikeMartial, I pmed u. I appreciate the time you took to make the thread. I'm sure it will be very helpful to a lot of people.

thanks, very helpful.

It's odd you've asked this. As I was writing this up, I was looking through their website; they don't mention what process they use, either. The only thing I could find was:

"Additionally, the manufacturer of MEG-3

Thanks for this.

I was a little confused with how much should be ingested before this. I looked on the back of bottles but was a bit put off by the fact that they stated no more than 3 capsules per day.

but then i realised this is most likely for sedentary people, much like vitamin and kcal RDAs.

Thanks for this.

I was a little confused with how much should be ingested before this. I looked on the back of bottles but was a bit put off by the fact that they stated no more than 3 capsules per day.

but then i realised this is most likely for sedentary people, much like vitamin and kcal RDAs.

Plus, think of the manufacturers point of view; for legality reasons, they want to recommend the lowest effective dose, since it has the highest therapeutic index, with the least amount of side effects.

Total assumption on my part, but that's the reasoning I presume for low-dose recommendations.

Btw, MikeMartial, I pmed u. I appreciate the time you took to make the thread. I'm sure it will be very helpful to a lot of people.

Why don't you start it? It could be linked in the FAQ along with this thread or whatever Mike sees fit.

Dude, you're a mod. Why the hell isnt this stickied yet?

+1 on the sticky. Also take your multi with your fish oil so the fat soluble vits get absorbed.

Back