The row machine: aware me sherdog bros

bigbangspiritbomb

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So, I want to do so cardio to help burn fat. A few buddies have gotten great results using the row machine. Basically, I am going to do the same. I am just new to rowing.

Tips and advice please

Duration and intensity are what really matter. Whether it's rowing, cycling, running, whatever, doesn't. Unless you're training for something specific.

Do 5k for time and constantly try to improve.

I started to use the row machine as my go to conditioning tool and worked my way up to 4K. It seemed to affect my lower back a lot and kind of burned it out, so I backed off on it. Do you guys think it was a matter of form, that I was using the lower back too much compared to the legs?
I felt like my form was decent.

I started to use the row machine as my go to conditioning tool and worked my way up to 4K. It seemed to affect my lower back a lot and kind of burned it out, so I backed off on it. Do you guys think it was a matter of form, that I was using the lower back too much compared to the legs?
Rowing just naturally involves a lot of lower spine flexion I think. I row to warm up, but I always keep my lower back straight. I know that's not how you are 'supposed' to row, but so what? I row to warm up, not to be good at rowing. I find it hurts my back less, and warms up / activates my core more, so it's win win.

Def a matter of form but keeping the resistance on at most 5 or 6 will help if you had it on 10.

Start with straight legs, straight arms slightly leaning back abs on (so shoulders will be slightly behind the hips). Swing the shoulders over rocking from the hips (like you are trying to touch your toes with good posture). Once your shoulders are in front of the hips (you should feel it in the hamstrings here) bend the knees and compress all the way forward. Once you are fully compressed (knees close to chest) FLEX ABS as you straighten the legs at speed (accelerating the handle towards you), then once the legs are straight swing the shoulders behind the hips and then finally bend your arms (keeping elbows tucked close to your body). Pull the handle to your bottom ribs and then straighten your arms as soon as the handle touches your body.

You have now completed a whole stroke and are back to where you started (ready to swing your shoulders forward etc).

I personally don't like doing long rowing workouts, I'd rather run or cycle.

But sprints are awesome on it. I usually go with timed sprints, but I will mix in distance too. (Usually like 30 secs on, 10 off or 250 meters 15 secs off)

Duration and intensity are what really matter. Whether it's rowing, cycling, running, whatever, doesn't. Unless you're training for something specific.

Any suggestion on routine?

I found some vids online. YouTube was great for technique. I saw concepts 2 row and used the machine. I felt like quiting a few times. It's ridiculous how sore I felt. I felt my quads even a bit of hams and gluts. My back and core was sore. In retrospect, I need to pay more attention on core. The concepts 2 row site and YouTube vids stated that it's 60% in the legs, 20% core, 20% back/arms. It broke it down in 3steps. My technique needs work.

Tips welcome.

Any suggestion on routine?

I found some vids online. YouTube was great for technique. I saw concepts 2 row and used the machine. I felt like quiting a few times. It's ridiculous how sore I felt. I felt my quads even a bit of hams and gluts. My back and core was sore. In retrospect, I need to pay more attention on core. The concepts 2 row site and YouTube vids stated that it's 60% in the legs, 20% core, 20% back/arms. It broke it down in 3steps. My technique needs work.

Tips welcome.

With the goal being to burn fat? A lot of volume at low and moderate intensities would allow you to burn the most total calories. Probably mix in some other kinds of conditioning, so it's not all on the rower. Something as simple as gradually increasing the total weekly volume at a particular intensity, before dropping the volume back down and increasing the intensity. The concept 2 rower will give you watts, as will many other devices, so it's a good measure of intensity.

That said, and you're probably already aware of this, but diet is by far the most important part of fat loss. If it's not on point, it doesn't matter how much activity you do. Activity only makes the diet aspect easier.

With the goal being to burn fat? A lot of volume at low and moderate intensities would allow you to burn the most total calories. Probably mix in some other kinds of conditioning, so it's not all on the rower. Something as simple as gradually increasing the total weekly volume at a particular intensity, before dropping the volume back down and increasing the intensity. The concept 2 rower will give you watts, as will many other devices, so it's a good measure of intensity.

That said, and you're probably already aware of this, but diet is by far the most important part of fat loss. If it's not on point, it doesn't matter how much activity you do. Activity only makes the diet aspect easier.

It won't let me chalk up my diet here. For whatever reason I cannot access it. I may add it into my workout routine but it's tedious. I got a Costco card. I am also shopping at whole foods. Walmart has a deal for chicken breasts I am on about.

My plan is to do 3miles in 30min. I am not there yet. My technique needs work but I just started this week. It will come.

For burning body fat, I know abs are made in the kitchen not the gym. With the rower, I am activating cardiovascular and muscle endurance plus my full body. I was thinking of mixing it up between miles at a medium intensity or intervals at a short span. Thoughts? I want to hit a level where I burn body fat yet maximize maintaining my current muscle mass. I know there will be a loss but if I do it right I can keep more lol

If you want to maintain muscle mass, you're far better off lifting weights than rowing.

What you could do for intervals, in conjunction with lifting and steady state rowing, is 5-10s sprints, with rest lengths being about 3x the work duration. But you'd be better off adding this in after having worked on just the steady state stuff for at least a month. Start with one easy session, and build from there. Depending on time constraints, you could do the intervals immediately prior to a steady state training session.

If you want to maintain muscle mass, you're far better off lifting weights than rowing.

I lift. I am doing rowing to burn fat and gain cardiovascular.

What you could do for intervals, in conjunction with lifting and steady state rowing, is 5-10s sprints, with rest lengths being about 3x the work duration. But you'd be better off adding this in after having worked on just the steady state stuff for at least a month. Start with one easy session, and build from there. Depending on time constraints, you could do the intervals immediately prior to a steady state training session.

I was doing hiit intervals and plyometrics. My knees hurt from it. It's high impact on the knees. Instead, I am doing rowing machine. I was going to do back but my back was too sore. Instead, I did shoulders .

I was doing hiit intervals and plyometrics. My knees hurt from it. It's high impact on the knees. Instead, I am doing rowing machine. I was going to do back but my back was too sore. Instead, I did shoulders .

If your knees are hurting from plyometrics, either you don't have the requisite strength base, there's a technical issue, a pre-existing issue, or you're trying to do too much. Since you mention it in the same context as HIIT, I'm going to assume you were trying to do too much. Plyometrics should not be used as conditioning. Instead, they should be used in only modest volumes, for a limited amount of time.

If your knees are hurting from plyometrics, either you don't have the requisite strength base, there's a technical issue, a pre-existing issue, or you're trying to do too much. Since you mention it in the same context as HIIT, I'm going to assume you were trying to do too much. Plyometrics should not be used as conditioning. Instead, they should be used in only modest volumes, for a limited amount of time.

Too much indeed. I did plyometrics to generate power. Yeah, it was done likely for a bit too long. Now, I am doing weights with the row machine. I wanted to do back but I am too sore from rowing. I did a few miles yesterday.

Def a matter of form but keeping the resistance on at most 5 or 6 will help if you had it on 10.

Start with straight legs, straight arms slightly leaning back abs on (so shoulders will be slightly behind the hips). Swing the shoulders over rocking from the hips (like you are trying to touch your toes with good posture). Once your shoulders are in front of the hips (you should feel it in the hamstrings here) bend the knees and compress all the way forward. Once you are fully compressed (knees close to chest) FLEX ABS as you straighten the legs at speed (accelerating the handle towards you), then once the legs are straight swing the shoulders behind the hips and then finally bend your arms (keeping elbows tucked close to your body). Pull the handle to your bottom ribs and then straighten your arms as soon as the handle touches your body.

You have now completed a whole stroke and are back to where you started (ready to swing your shoulders forward etc).

Thanks for the advice! You are correct I did have it on 10. I'm going to start building up again towards 5K using 5 or 6 :)

Back