The Road to One Thousand (Strength, Muay Thai)

Thanks. The secret is body english. About half the reps are pretty strict and they tend to get a bit sloppy once I hit double digits. I should take video sometime for reference.

Gotcha. Still impressive. I can't seem to be consistent enough with my rowing to really make decent progress.

Sun Sept 23, 2012

Hockey
Last night was a rematch against the team that eliminated us from the summer playoffs. The game was pretty similar to the playoff game, a lot of offense and some sloppy defense. We were supposed to have 11 skaters but one guy locked his keys in his car in the rink parking lot so we started with 10 skaters (2 full lines).

By the middle of the second period we were up by a couple goals when the other center on our team was tripped and went shoulder-first into the boards. He slowly skated to the bench and was obviously in some pain. He played a couple more shifts and then had to go to the dressing room, hopefully it's not a serious injury. That left us with 9 skaters and only 5 forwards, not even two lines.

We held on until the third and you could tell we were getting tired. The other team slowly caught up, eventually going up 8-6. We scored one goal late to make it 8-7 but that was it.

I had another great game against this team, scoring 4 goals for the third time. I now have 13 goals and 4 assists in 4 games against this team. I think I play well against these guys because they leave a lot of room on defense so I can make some moves and create good chances.

Food pr0n from yesterday morning:

eggMuffins_zps76ef3f57.jpg

The muffins are egg muffins, no grains involved. We cut open a couple sausages and fried up the meat with onions and bell peppers then added it all to a dozen scrambled eggs. Scoop it into muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes. The sausage makes them quite greasy, next time we're thinking of trying diced ham and mushrooms.

This AV things is starting to get to me. I keep reading Scoops posts thinking they're mine and then having to go back in the convo to see what the fuck I was taling about... Anyway, Mnday morning for you!

4 goals! Might have found our scab workers!

Mon Sept 24, 2012

sleep: 6.5 hours (1:00am to 7:30 am)

C2 rower + dynamic stretching

- Squats
45x8
95x5
135x3
175x2
205x1
235x1
265x3
265x3
265x3

I felt kinda shitty today so I just did triples instead of 5's. Probably due to a number of days in a row with not enough sleep.

- Back extensions
bw x10
bw x10
bw x10

Some light PC work. Hopefully with a good night of sleep tonight I'll feel more energetic tomorrow.

Last edited:
Tues Sept 25, 2012

sleep: 7 hours (12:30am to 7:30am)

Muay Thai

No skipping, started with jumping jacks, skiers and high knees. Warm-up was pretty tough, lots of push-ups and ab work.

combo:
- jab, cross,hook, duck under hook, hook, cross
- above plus 4 straight punches, block 4 straight punches
- above plus jab, double right kick, parry jab, cross, left knee

We built up this combo interspersed with push-ups whenever someone messed up or Ajahn thought they weren't paying attention.

100 straight punches, 100 hooks and then back to the combo.

Next we did 50 jabs and 50 crosses. We were supposed to take our time and do them properly instead of rushing through them for conditioning. Ajahn stopped us a bunch of times when someone did something wrong and he would restart us from zero so I probably did more like 100 of each.

burnout (each round 2 minutes):
- 40 straight punches, 40 hooks, 40 uppercuts, 50 crunch punches
- 10 knees, 10 punches to the stomach from the padholder
- 4 right kicks, 4 left kicks, 8 punches to the thighs from the padholder

Then we finished with a bunch of jumping jacks, skiers, push-ups, and sit-ups. Stretching to finish.

I felt shitty again, still need more sleep. My left elbow was a bit sore from all the push-ups.

Last edited:
Wed Sept 26, 2012

sleep: 6 hours (1:30am to 7:30am)

C2 rower, dynamic stretching, foam rolling, shoulder dislocations, DCSW

- Bench
45x10
75x6
95x4
115x2
135x2
155x1 (sloppy)
155x1
172x3
172x3
172x3

The first single at 155 was really sloppy so I waited a minute and did it again and it was better. I didn't feel very strong today and 172 was moving slowly so I did triples instead of 5s. My left elbow was a bit sore and I think that hurt my confidence and concentration.

- DB rows
35x10
65x5
100x10
100x10
100x10

Woo, finally hit 100 for 3 sets of 10.

I've decided to start logging my sleep since I tend to go through periods where I don't get enough sleep and I'd like to see how often that is. I need to start getting into bed before midnight so I can try to get 8 hours of sleep.

Thurs Sept 27, 2012

sleep: 7.5 hours (12:15am to 7:45am)

Muay Thai

Skipping, jumping jacks, skiers, high knees, sprints, burpees, ab work

combo:
- jab, cross, hook, parry hook, double right elbow
- above plus jab, cross, double left knee

30 punches, 10 right kicks, 10 left kicks - repeat for a couple minutes

Partner drills: We practiced blocking straight punches and checking kicks. Then we practiced closing the distance with a hook and a knee. We did a couple sweeps where you get close and kick the back of their legs while pushing them backward. Finally we put on Thai pads and practiced catching kicks, passing the leg, and returning a kick of our own.

Burnout: 3x3 minute rounds, 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off
- jab, cross, hook, double right uppercut, hook, cross
- 10 right kicks, 10 left kicks
- 10 jab/cross, 10 mountain climbers

Stretching to finish.

Fri Sept 28, 2012

C2 rower + dynamic stretching

- Deadlifts
45x10
135x5
135x5
185x3
225x2
275x1
315x1
345x1x10 (singles)

A lot of these were slow. Not that the weight was hard but I just didn't have much drive off the ground today. I felt a mild pain in my back on the last rep so I didn't hold it for time like I usually do. The pain immediately went away so I think it was just fatigue.

Did some face pulls and then called it a day.

Sun Sept 30, 2012

sleep: I was up late on Fri and Sat nights but hey it's the weekend so I got to sleep in.

Hockey
We were playing our long-time rivals the Mighty Pigs though the rivalry has been one-sided lately as they beat us the last 3 times we played. They improved a lot over the last couple seasons and are a solid all-around team now.

It was a late game and we were short skaters. We had two forward lines but only 3 defense. We definitely could have used more skaters as the Pigs are a fast team that moves the puck well.

We stuck with them in the first period, keeping it tied at 1-1. I scored the goal off a wrap-around attempt. The goalie stopped my first shot but I banged in my own rebound. That turned out to be the highlight of the game as we started to sag in the second period and they took the lead. In the third we were too tired to make a comeback and they racked up a couple more, I think the final score was a 7-1 ass-whooping.

I felt like I had a pretty good game and while I was definitely slower in the third period I wasn't too tired. I guess this is a sign that even though I'm always exhausted at Muay Thai my conditioning is actually getting better.

I was supposed to play tonight on my friend's team but I had some car trouble and had to take it in for service. I ended up taking half-day of vacation so I won't be lifting today. I'm pretty tired since I didn't get to sleep until around 1:30am so it's probably for the best. I can go home, relax, and get to bed at a good hour.

Tues Oct 2, 2012

sleep: 7 hours (12:30am - 7:30am). I went to bed before midnight but couldn't fall asleep.

Muay Thai

I was a bit late so I missed the beginning of the warm-up. I did about 5 minutes of skipping on my own and then joined in for push-ups and ab work.

combo:
- jab, cross, left uppercut elbow, left elbow, right uppercut elbow, right elbow
- above plus jab, cross, jab, cross, parry jab, left knee, parry cross, right knee

For the parry/knee we would parry across our body, step in and grab their neck with the opposite and hand and knee the body. We worked this combo for a bit and then did a 3 minute round where we ended each combo with 5 right kicks and 5 left kicks.

- jab, cross, hook, cross, jab, cross, hook, cross 5 push-ups (x12)

That seemed like it should have been easy but the push-ups were killer.

Next we did some technical work, both partners with gloves, one with belly pad. We start with one partner throwing 4 punches and the other partner blocking. After a few minutes the blocking partner could use teeps to defend the punches. Then we added in angling off to one side and throwing a hook to avoid the teep. Did this for about 5 minutes, switched belly pads and did 5 minutes more.

Burnout:
- 3 burpees, jab, cross, right kick, push-ups, jab, cross, left kick (3 minute round)

Every time we did this sequence we added 1 to the punches and kicks. Finished with 30 seconds of kicks for either leg. Stretching to finish.

Used my new gloves for the first time, they feel good. They are more snug that my old gloves so they feel more comfortable plus the padding isn't all mashed so they feel like they protect my hands better. My conditioning is starting to feel better though I still feel like I need to add in some LISS/LSD work but I don't know where to fit it in.

Last edited:
Now that my bench and squat weights are close to my old 5RM's I'm finding that the squat and bench days are feeling pretty rough and they are heavily affected by Muay Thai. I don't have much control over the intensity of Muay Thai (other than sandbagging) so I need a way to adjust my lifting. Thus I've decided to switch to an APRE program. I'm going to start with a 6RM and then switch to 3RM. Conveniently there are 12 weeks left before Christmas so I'm going to do 6 weeks of 6RM and 6 weeks of 3RM, leaving me the week after Christmas to hit some new PRs. For deadlifts I will be continuing with the singles program because it's the bee's knees.

This chart isn't as pretty as Jaunty's but it gets the job done. Numbers are pounds.

6RMAPRE.jpg

- Squats (starting 6RM: 250)
Low Bar Back Squats APRE
Good mornings/Front squats

I'm going to alternate GMs and front squats since I'm in the back/front squat comp and haven't front squatted at all this year.

- Bench (starting 6RM: 155)
Bench APRE
One backoff set
DB rows, 3 sets.

For the bench backoff set I'm starting at 115x10 and I'll try to add weight or reps every week.

For DB rows I'm working with the 100 lb DBs (biggest at the gym) and adding one rep every session. Currently I'm at 3x10.

- Deadlifts
Deadlift singles
Kroc rows

Again Kroc rows will be done with 100 lb DB, I think last time I got 16 reps so I'll try to beat that every week.

Right now I'm lifting M/W/F but that will change when my Muay Thai schedule changes.

Nice setup. Hope it works out for you!

Looking forward to seeing how APRE works for you.

Nice setup. Hope it works out for you!

Looking forward to seeing how APRE works for you.

Me too, I'm hoping it's a good way to account for days when I'm not feeling 100%, especially for bench.

Wed Oct 3, 2012

treadmill, dynamic stretching, foam rolling, shoulder dislocations, DCSW

The treadmill is a shitty way to warm-up but the C2 was in use for once.

- Bench
45x10
45x8
75x6
95x4
115x2
135x2
155x8 (+2 reps, add 2.5)
157x6 (new 6RM)
115x10

In case anyone is wondering I do my microloading with ankle weights so it's either +2 or +3 instead of exactly +2.5.

- DB Rows
35x10
65x5
100x11
100x10
100x10

I made a ginger/garlic stir-fry on Monday night and had leftovers for lunch today. During these rows I started burping it back up which was rather unpleasant.

Yesterday morning I felt like I might be getting sick and by last night I was full-on sick. I have a sore throat and runny nose today so no Muay Thai. I'm hoping that because it came on so quickly that means it will go away quickly as well. At least this weekend is a long one (Canadian Thanksgiving).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back