The Road to One Thousand (Strength, Muay Thai)

I have 14 oz gloves because I went to 2 different stores here and couldn't find any 16 oz ones. This dicussion has convinced me to order some 16 oz gloves online!

It's a good idea for a gym to have a very well known policy on glove size as well as types of sparring. Good that your coach replaced the dude's gloves.

Anyway, the joke's on him cause he'll probably fuck up his hands over time, lol.

If I ever spar some chuckle-head knowingly using tens for light technical, I try to get on the inside and give him some bump off shoulders. You honestly get some real dicks on light nights. They go mysteriously missing on heavy sparring nights....

I think the issue with this guy is that he came from another gym and jumped right into sparring. With people from our gym they get told that they need 16 oz gloves, heavy shin guards (not just foam), a jock and approval from a trainer before they spar. They assumed this guy knew the rules and obviously were wrong.

I have 14 oz gloves because I went to 2 different stores here and couldn't find any 16 oz ones. This dicussion has convinced me to order some 16 oz gloves online!

I don't mind 14oz, you can't really tell the difference unless you get hit flush and hard. 8 oz though makes a big difference.

Sun June 17, 2012

Hockey
We played our (friendly) arch-rivals last night and had another close game, losing 5-3 with an empty net goal. These guys play really well as a team and while they don't have any superstars they are fast, pass well, and play well positionally. My line had trouble making much offense and while we started getting pressure later in the game we had a lot of our shots blocked. The other forward line had a good game, combining for all three of our goals.

The tough thing with this team is because they are solid all around its hard to identify one area we can improve on to beat them. The most important areas are probably defensive zone breakouts and team speed. We're now 3-3 on the season overall but 0-2 against these guys.

Mon June 18, 2012

I have a new meeting on Monday's at 3:00 so I wanted to get to the gym early but didn't so today had to be a short one.

Jumping jacks + dynamic stretching

I couldn't get the flat bench so I warmed up with some DCSW, incline bench, push-ups, and chins and then the squat rack became free so I did some pressing. Worked up to 125x1 and then did 135x1 and 145x1 with a bit of leg drive. Nothing special and barely worth logging. After not push pressing for a long time my form is pretty sloppy.

Tues June 19, 2012

Holy shit it's hot today.

C2 rower + dynamic stretching

- Squats
45x8
95x5
135x3
175x2
205x3
235x3
260x4

Not bad.

- Barbell Rows/RDLs (superset)
45x10
95x5
135x5
135x5
135x5

Did some regular deadlifts with 135 afterward. Something about my starting position feels off, my right leg always feels awkward. I'm not sure what the deal is, I only started noticing it a few weeks ago.

In other news, I'm taking a 6 week meditation course with my wife starting in mid-July on Monday nights. This means I won't be able to spar on Monday nights so I've been debating how to adjust my schedule. One option is Muay Thai on Tues/Thurs and then I would run Madcow 5x5 Mon/Wed/Fri. I like the idea of doing Madcow but that would mean no sparring. Another option would be lifting Mon/Fri and do MT Tues/Wed/Thurs but I have found in the past that 3 days of MT can be kinda rough. Thoughts anyone? At MT my gym sparring is Mon/Wed while Pads/Technique is Tues/Thurs/Fri.

Wed June 20, 2012

C2 rower, dynamic stretching, agile 8, simple 6, push-up plus. Feeling nice and limber right now :)

Fri June 22, 2012

- DCSW

- Bench
45x10
75x6
105x4
125x3
145x1
165x1
185x1 (sketchy)
155x7

I was debating trying for 205 today but 185 was slow and I felt weak so no PR.

- Neutral grip chins: 5/5/4/4/3/3/2/2/1/1 and 5 more singles (35 reps total)

too bad on the bench man, i know that feel bro.

after sticking with it, I'm slowly making progress, pressing always seems to be hard earned

In order to hit that 1k total, you're more than likely going to have to put some poundages on the bench! How is your bench programmed?

Thanks kinglee. My bench has always been fickle. Some days it feels great, other days it's terrible.

In order to hit that 1k total, you're more than likely going to have to put some poundages on the bench! How is your bench programmed?

I've been doing 5/3/1 for my bench. The original plan back in January was this:

- Day 1
Squat 5/3/1, 1 back-off set
Bench 5/3/1, 1 back-off set
DB Rows: 5x8-12

- Day 2
Deadlift singles
Bench - 3x5 ramping up with 55/65/75% or working up to a heavy single at 100% of training max
Squats - 3x5 ramping up with 45/55/65%

The plan was supposed to be MT twice/week but when my wife started working nights I upped that to 3 times. I found that doing two full body days was a bit much plus I couldn't really fit all of Day 2 into one lunch hour. So I switched to this:

- Day 1
Bench 5/3/1 + 1 back off set
DB rows with 100 lb DBs - 3 sets, adding 1 rep every week

- Day 2
Squat 5/3/1 or Deadlift singles (alternating weekly)
Upper body pull (usually face-pulls, ocassionally chins)

The problem I had was that my wife would get home around midnight and want to hang out so I frequently only got 5-6 hours of sleep which definitely affected my recovery and ability to progress. It's also hard to scale back MT so my lifting is what suffered.

I'm not really sure what I want to do right now. There's simply not enough time and recovery ability in a week to lift a bunch and do Muay Thai as much as I would like.

Sun June 24, 2012

Hockey
We got back into the win column with a 2-1 win last night. It could have been a much higher scoring game but both goalies were outstanding. We also managed to keep the penalties to a minimum only picking 6 PIM.

We seem to have settled into new lines that are working well. A few games back we combined two of our new players with my old left winger and they play really well together. They controlled the play whenever they were on the ice last night and scored the first goal of the game. They could have had 4 or 5 more goals but the goalie made some great saves. That makes my line the second line and I'm playing with two brothers and we're starting to gel pretty well. I picked up an assist on the game winner last night and we did some great penalty killing.

We have next weekend off for the long weekend and then we have 3 more games after that before playoffs. Right now we're in 4th place which right now gives us the easier path in the playoffs. The standings are pretty tight so that will probably change before the end of the season.

Thanks kinglee. My bench has always been fickle. Some days it feels great, other days it's terrible.

I've been doing 5/3/1 for my bench. The original plan back in January was this:

The plan was supposed to be MT twice/week but when my wife started working nights I upped that to 3 times. I found that doing two full body days was a bit much plus I couldn't really fit all of Day 2 into one lunch hour. So I switched to this:

- Day 1
Bench 5/3/1 + 1 back off set
DB rows with 100 lb DBs - 3 sets, adding 1 rep every week

- Day 2
Squat 5/3/1 or Deadlift singles (alternating weekly)
Upper body pull (usually face-pulls, ocassionally chins)

The problem I had was that my wife would get home around midnight and want to hang out so I frequently only got 5-6 hours of sleep which definitely affected my recovery and ability to progress. It's also hard to scale back MT so my lifting is what suffered.

I'm not really sure what I want to do right now. There's simply not enough time and recovery ability in a week to lift a bunch and do Muay Thai as much as I would like.

Ahh okay, now that I look back at your previous bench sessions, I see the 5/3/1. It was the back-off sets that kind of confused me.

Besides your wife and MT, you also have hockey and work full-time so obviously your recovery suffers at times. The only thing I would suggest you do is possibly post a form video again? Or if not too much of a hassle, just beging recording your bench sessions and independantly critiquing it between sets (if you aren't already). Being able to watch yourself and fix little things from your warm-ups and between work-sets is awesome.

Also, didn't your wife get a new job? Does the new job also involve getting home near midnight?

It's been a while since I've taken any video of my bench so that is a good idea. Maybe I'll do it every session for a few weeks to see if I can identify any issues and post here for advice. Bench is probably the lift that I've put the least amount of form work into.

Yes my wife has a new job and works 11-7 now so that helps with a more regular sleep schedule.

My recommendation for your bench is volume. Sets across and whatnot. Of course, a video might reveal other, more urgent needs.

Shitty recovery and weight loss are not conducive to lifting gains, however, so slow progress is understandable, even if it's really frustrating. Anyway it's good to hear your wife has a more regular schedule so hopefully you can recover a little better and get back to smashing heavy weight again soon!

Just thought I'd let you know that I am now only 10 pounds away from my own road to one thousand:

Squat: 352
Deadlift: 401.5
Bench: 236.5

The lack of MT definately helps I think.

My recommendation for your bench is volume. Sets across and whatnot. Of course, a video might reveal other, more urgent needs.

Shitty recovery and weight loss are not conducive to lifting gains, however, so slow progress is understandable, even if it's really frustrating. Anyway it's good to hear your wife has a more regular schedule so hopefully you can recover a little better and get back to smashing heavy weight again soon!

Thanks for the advice. I think you are right about more volume, when I figure out my new schedule it will most likely include 3x5 sets across or something like that.

Just thought I'd let you know that I am now only 10 pounds away from my own road to one thousand:

Squat: 352
Deadlift: 401.5
Bench: 236.5

The lack of MT definately helps I think.

Nice! MT definitely slows down the progress.

Mon June 25, 2012

Muay Thai Sparring

I was about 10 minutes late so I missed the beginning of the warm-up so I was a bit more fresh for the "real" training.

We started by practicing a backhand parry i.e. partner throws a jab, you parry with your left hand while stepping to your right and vice versa. We praticed this and then added in knees and kicks as the counter attack.

Did a few rounds of boxing then Edric showed a couple of us a fake teep to right kick feint. We drilled it in front of the mirror and then practiced it on eachother.

After that we did a few rounds of Muay Thai sparring. I then finished with a couple light rounds with one guy who was pretty tired. After that I did about 65 push-ups and 100 Thai sit-ups and some stretching.

A bunch of our fighters are going down to the States in two weeks (July 7) so those fighters got the majority of the ring time. This will be there last week of hard sparring before tapering down next week. Everyone has already made weight so there won't have to be any last minute cuts next week. I think they are going down on the 6th for weigh-ins and then fights are on Saturday the 7th.

Today I was covering up too much so I didn't take much damage but it limited by offense. I need to keep my head up a bit more and use more parries/catches instead of blocks. Not a bad night of sparring though.

For my new lifting plan I'm going to do squat/press/pull split. I'm only going to be able to do Muay Thai twice/week so this should fit in well.

- Squat
Squats 3x5
GMs 3x8
Face-pulls 3-5 sets of 15-20 reps

- Bench
Bench 3x5, 1 backoff set
DB rows 3 sets with 100 lb DB, adding 1 rep/week

- Deadlift
Deadlift singles
Chins (aiming for total reps)

I've never done GMs but I always read that they are the best for squat and deadlift assistance. If they prove to be too taxing I'll do weighted back extensions instead. My schedule will look like this for the next 4 weeks:

Sun: Hockey
Mon: MT (sparring)
Tues: Squat
Wed: MT (sparring)
Thurs: Bench
Fri: Deadlift
Sat: Rest

Starting on July 23 I'm taking a course on Monday nights for 5 weeks so I'll switch to this:

Sun: Hockey
Mon: Squat
Tues: Bench
Wed: MT (sparring)
Thurs: MT (pad work/technique)
Fri: Deadlift
Sat: Rest

Any suggestions? Progression will be linear and I will probably microload.

I forgot to mention that my gym is hosting exhibition fights at the end of July. They are going to do downtown vs uptown fights (my gym has 3 locations: downtown, uptown and eastside) so it is a good chance for us hobbyists to get in the ring. I don't feel like I'm ready for a fight and I'll only be training 2 days/week for the rest of the summer so I probably won't take part.

Tues June 26, 2012

- Squats
45x8
95x5
135x3
165x2
195x1
225x5
225x5
225x5

Easy, just getting back into the swing of things.

- GMs
95x8
95x8
95x8

Easy but kinda awkward. Where are you supposed to look when you do GMs?

- Facepulls: 3x15

Back