The Road to One Thousand (Strength, Muay Thai)

Well done Brendan, keeping it real!!

I agree with Goon, about foot on the knee and then kicking off,
Are you training GI or No GI btw?? And I'm sure you could watch a few instructionals to develop your mount offense more, Although id worry more about getting good off your back first, as that's where us noobs spend the majority of the time!!

It's all Gi training so far. I've tried watching some online instructionals (TrumpetDan, who has a log here, has great instructionals) but generally once I get to class I just concentrate on whatever technique we're learning. The most useful part of the online videos has been the little tips that they mention (e.g. on defense you want to create space, on offense you want to take it away) rather than the actual techniques.

I've actually decided that I'm not going to keep going to that gym. It's a great gym but the price and length of commitment don't work for me. If I choose six months then it's too expensive, 12 months is a better price but I don't think I want to commit for that long. I also have to consider the extra cost of taking transit there since I can walk to my old Muay Thai gym from my office. There is actually a BJJ gym in the same building as my old Muay Thai gym so I might check them out since their prices are the same as Muay Thai ($100/month or less if you buy for longer). It's not as big or prestigious a gym but the head instructors are still both decorated black belts.

Bdan's Bi-weekly Progression Program (BBPP)

Day 1
Squats 3x5 / 3x3
Bench 3x5 / 3x3
Chins 3 sets (alternating between bodyweight and weighted)

Day 2
Rows 3x8-12
Weighted Back Extensions 3x8-12
Levering

Day 3
Deadlifts (see below)
Strict Press 3x5 / 3x3
Front Squats 3x5 / 3x3

For everything that is 3x5 / 3x3 my plan is to alternate weeks, adding weight on every 3x3 week.

The rows and back extensions aren't specifically programmed, just whenever I can do 12 reps with the weight I'll increase it and go back to 8 reps.

Day 2 is meant to be a lighter day along the lines of the Texas Method. My plan for chins and dips is to stick with my old progression which is 3 sets, adding one more rep each week. We usually do a tonne of bodyweight squats and push-ups at Muay Thai so I might end up dropping dips and lunges but we'll wait and see. (EDIT: This is what I've done)

The Monday squats will be low bar for a while to see how they work out.

For deadlifts I'm doing this:

Week 1 65% x 15 sets x 1 rep
Week 2 70% x 12 sets x 1 rep
Week 3 75% x 10 sets x 1 rep
Week 4 80% x 8 sets x 1 rep
Week 5 85% x 6 sets x 1 rep
Week 6: 90% x 4 sets x 1 rep
Week 7: MAX

It's basically this program: Train The Deadlift except I added in an extra week at 90%. I'm going use my projected max (405) for the percentages so it will be a bit heavier. This puts week 7 as the first week of June so hopefully I can pull 405 which is my mid-year goal. In the future I might made week 7 some singles at 95% if I don't want to test my max.

The logic behind this program is that I've made good progress in the past using simple progression and straight sets (Stronglifts, Starting Strength, Texas Method) but I don't think I can do a weekly progression if I'm doing BJJ or MT (especially MT).

I will be going back to Muay Thai next week. To start it will be Tues/Thurs so lifting will be Mon/Wed/Fri. Any comments or thoughts are appreciated.

EDIT: Minor update to program.

Last edited:
Interesting programme. I like the idea of doing three workouts over two weeks, with a Texas-style recovery day as the middle day.

Is the idea that you try the new, higher weight with the 3x3, then you use it as the weight for the 3x5 the next week? If so, that is a little Madcowish. In which case, congratulations for blending the key characteristics of the two main (and awesome) intermediate programmes.

Interesting programme. I like the idea of doing three workouts over two weeks, with a Texas-style recovery day as the middle day.

Is the idea that you try the new, higher weight with the 3x3, then you use it as the weight for the 3x5 the next week?
If so, that is a little Madcowish. In which case, congratulations for blending the key characteristics of the two main (and awesome) intermediate programmes.

I think in the long run it might end up being that way. To begin the triples will be maybe 15-20 lb higher than the sets of 5 but in the long run I can see the madcow-esque progression being a good way to maintain smooth, long-term progress.

I forgot to mention that for the next couple weeks I'll be doing weighted chins instead of rows until I get a final video for the weighted chin comp. Then back to rows.

Mon April 18, 2011

C2 rower + dynamic stretching

- LB Squats
45x8
95x5
135x3
155x2
185x2
205x5
205x5
205x5

Felt pretty good. I switched to keeping my head up instead of the Rippetoe-style looking down and I think it helps me keep my back tight and helps maintain my arch. I forgot to grab my camera this morning otherwise I'd have more form check videos. I think I still have a little lumbar rounding.

- Strict press
45x8
65x5
85x5
85x5
85x5

Felt solid, good bar speed. Bench was in use so I did press instead. First day and I can't even stick to my program :) Did more arm circles before and between sets since my left shoulder is still stiff.

- Weighted chins
bw x5
+20 x3
+40 x3/2/2/2/2

Blargh, felt weak. Haven't done weighted chins much this month so it figures.

Stretching to finish.

No I'm not exactly deloading. At the end of the hockey season I had a mild groin strain so I took some time off from squatting heavy and started learning low bar squats. I've also been focusing on conditioning and not squatting much. So now I'm working my way back up with low bar squats. I'm starting light so I can make sure my form is good but I'll be making a couple 10 lb jumps before settling into what is hopefully a long term 5 lb progression.

And fuck Chara. The Habs have looked like crap tonight thought they just scored to make it 3-1. Come on comeback!!

I was thinking about your 'train the deathlift' programme.

What do you think would be the advantage over doing Hepburn singles? With those, you just go straight to 90% of your 1RM, then work from 3 singles in a session up to 8 singles, before you add weight. I think that might be quite suited to deathlifts.

Bench was in use so I did press instead. First day and I can't even stick to my program :)

lol. Such is life.

New program looks great. Hope you're able to stick with it.

I was thinking about your 'train the deathlift' programme.

What do you think would be the advantage over doing Hepburn singles? With those, you just go straight to 90% of your 1RM, then work from 3 singles in a session up to 8 singles, before you add weight. I think that might be quite suited to deathlifts.

Yeah I like the Hepburn method too. It's lower volume but higher intensity. According to an article on T-Nation you start with 5 singles, work up to 8 singles and then add 5-10 lb and go back to 5 singles. That would mean increasing every 4 weeks, so maybe 20 lb in 8 weeks. I'm hoping to hit a 20 lb PR after 7 weeks on my program so it's about the same.

Really I figure it's kinda like Texas Method vs Bill Starr 5x5. Similar ideas, done slightly differently, so the biggest difference will just be which you prefer and which you find works better for you.

lol. Such is life.

New program looks great. Hope you're able to stick with it.

Thanks. I don't think I'll have any trouble sticking with the program, lifting is probably the most consistent thing in my life since I go at lunch time.

I really like the layout of your program Dr. Saw the "TM-esque" part right away.

I hope you make great progress with it. Looks like if you do things right it could work for quite the long haul.

I really like the layout of your program Dr. Saw the "TM-esque" part right away.

I hope you make great progress with it. Looks like if you do things right it could work for quite the long haul.

Thanks. I'm hoping it leads to good things.

Thurs April 21, 2011

BBPP - Week 1, Day 3

C2 rower + dynamic stretching

- Deadlifts
45x10
135x5
185x4
225x3
265x1x15 (45-60 seconds rest)

I felt a little twinge in my back around single 9 or 10. It's the same thing I felt when low bar squatting a few weeks ago. I took about 2 minutes rest and didn't feel it anymore.

- Bench
45x10
75x5
95x5
115x3
135x1
145x5
145x5
145x5

Pretty good. My left shoulder is a bit stiff but one I got warmed up it was fine.

- Front Squats
45x8
75x5
95x5
115x3
135x5
135x5
135x5

These felt good. I've changed my technique so my torso is more vertical so I had to do a bit more stretching to warm-up my hip flexors. I can definitely feel that these are very quad heavy now.

I feel like my work capacity is down a bit or maybe it's just getting used to the lift/rest/lift cycle of lifting vs the less intense but more constant work of conditioning. The one thing I noticed is that my core and grip feels weaker. I probably should have added in some core work during all of the conditioning to keep it up. The grip isn't a big deal, I'm sure it will come back quickly. I figured I would be able to pull all of the reps DOH but I had to switch to mixed after a couple.

Last edited:
I do alright with hook, but I have been noticing that if I use my thumb to support something lately (like a toothbrush lol) it's painful. I'm wondering if it's related to hook grip. But when I deadlift I don't really have much of a problem up to about 335.

I'm hoping I can get hook grip up to being able to pull my heaviest sets (350+) with hook grip. It's murder on the thumbs and right now it isn't comfortable enough so it distracts me when I'm pulling heavy. I just need to remember to use it for all of my lighter sets until I get used to it.

I'm hoping I can get hook grip up to being able to pull my heaviest sets (350+) with hook grip. It's murder on the thumbs and right now it isn't comfortable enough so it distracts me when I'm pulling heavy. I just need to remember to use it for all of my lighter sets until I get used to it.

I started pulling hook one day to see how it was and never looked back. Incidentally, I was in the first or second week of that pulling program so the weight was pretty light. I think if you start on the first week, you should be able to progress to the heavier weights fairly easily.

Back