The reality is proven draws don't have to "earn" title shots!

That's the way it should be. This is sports entertainment. With the emphasis on ENTERTAINMENT. If you can't produce then nobody wants to spend that Capitol to watch you compete. Plain and simple.

Lol it should have an emphasis on SPORT not ENTERTAINMENT. Sports are entertaining on their own without a bunch of loudmoths and emphasizing ENTERTAINMENT turns the UFC into the UFE

Unfortunately, that's how it is in the sports business. Fighters like Machida had to go on a big win streak to even be considered for a shot at the title, while a fighter like Brock gets a title fight after going 1-1.

Fans vote with their wallets. The companies would be foolish not to cater to their preferred interests.

Leave it to one idiot to find a way to cry over Machida not getting a title shot. Why did he deserve one before the one he got? He was 14-0 and his only win of merit was one that got him the title shot, he had 5 previous ufc wins over unranked opponents, he didn't deserve a shot. How you can cry and find a reason to think he was cheated out of a shot is nuts. Hell afterwards he's received more underserved shots than Chael.

Doesn't matter who wins between Belfort and Sonnenn? BOTH will get shots at the title in short order. Will people pay to see them fight the top guy? Yes. Ex-champs especially are ALWAYS viable as long as people will see them fight.

it's pretty similar to boxing. The champ only has to fight the mandatory challenger about once a year. In between mandatory challenges, he fights guys who don't necessarily deserve it, but are good pay days. Those are set up by their promoters.

The difference is that in the UFC the fighters are all promoted by the UFC and the organization that controls the belt is also the UFC.

The problem isn't that sometimes someone fights the champ based on popularity instead of quality. The (potential) problem is that the ranking organisation that controls the belt is a fight promoter. That potentially can create the same situation that exists in boxing with the WBC and Don King being in bed together.

Doesn't matter who wins between Belfort and Sonnenn? BOTH will get shots at the title in short order. Will people pay to see them fight the top guy? Yes. Ex-champs especially are ALWAYS viable as long as people will see them fight.

I dont know about that, Vitor has been deserving of another MW title shot for the last few years and kept getting passed over for lesser draws for some bizzare reason. What's even funnier is he got a shot at Jones at LHW despite having no business being there. UFC is so bush league.

I'm in the unpopular minority that doesn't care about what order people get their title shot I believe it always will work itself out, if there is a contender that can beat the champ then he will keep winning till he gets his shot and if the champ is truly the champ he will keep beating whoever they put in front of him until the "worthy" contenders get a crack at them

And then Machida got a title shot with 1 win, and now a title shot with 2 wins at the new weight class.

Big draws do get easier paths to the title, but its also partly because they have paid their dues before.

Not saying I agree, but its reality.

I think Machida getting faster title shots after his first one is attributed to being an ex-champ and, at this point, being one of the more marketed fighters. Pretty much like you say, he paid his dues.

Since winning the belt, he's been in the cage with some fighters that have big fanbases (Shogun, Rampage, Couture, Jon Jones), so I can see why he would get a shot after two fights in a new weight class. Also, I believe Vitor was supposed to get the title shot, so they needed a replacement and Machida was the best option.

The people have spoken, so why deny the people. If you are a fighter, find a way to become a spokesperson for the people one way or the other -- with wins, with entertaining fights, or with an engaging personality or trash talk

Not sure why UFC fans haven't figured this out yet, but it's not like draws "take away from the sport". Yeah, it's great to have obvious #1 contenders fight because otherwise your champ is soft. You have to legitimize him. However, having a big-draw brings in those casual fans who may not otherwise watch. And through bringing them in, you just may convert some into more hardcore fans.

Randleman had little business in against CorCop when they first fought. Fujita wasn't supposed to do anything to Fedor. Coleman wasn't going to beat Nog or Fedor. Serra was supposed to be a joke fight for GSP (Serra was more a drawing in of hardcore fans, not casuals). And lets not forget Lesnar, who helped usher in the largest boom of the UFC.

It's not a bad idea to have draw > deserving.... but only every so often. Not as the norm.

Leave it to one idiot to find a way to cry over Machida not getting a title shot. Why did he deserve one before the one he got? He was 14-0 and his only win of merit was one that got him the title shot, he had 5 previous ufc wins over unranked opponents, he didn't deserve a shot. How you can cry and find a reason to think he was cheated out of a shot is nuts. Hell afterwards he's received more underserved shots than Chael.

You seem a lot more upset than I am, to be honest.

I never said Machida was cheated out of a title shot. My point is that some fighters have much easier roads to the championship than others because they're a much bigger draw. This is nothing new. I used Machida/Brock as an example to show the difference in the paths to a title fight. Machida was undefeated at the time with multiple wins in the UFC. Brock was 1-1 with his only win being Heath Herring.

I find it odd that you're outraged because I believe Machida had to work much harder in the UFC for his shot at a title than Brock did.

Not sure why UFC fans haven't figured this out yet, but it's not like draws "take away from the sport". Yeah, it's great to have obvious #1 contenders fight because otherwise your champ is soft. You have to legitimize him. However, having a big-draw brings in those casual fans who may not otherwise watch. And through bringing them in, you just may convert some into more hardcore fans.

Randleman had little business in against CorCop when they first fought. Fujita wasn't supposed to do anything to Fedor. Coleman wasn't going to beat Nog or Fedor. Serra was supposed to be a joke fight for GSP (Serra was more a drawing in of hardcore fans, not casuals). And lets not forget Lesnar, who helped usher in the largest boom of the UFC.

It's not a bad idea to have draw > deserving.... but only every so often. Not as the norm.

You make some good points here.

Which would make the UFC more money Chael/Vitor vs Weidman or Jacare vs Weidman??

If you're deserving you'll get a shot regardless. If you can draw and are close to a shot you'll get it quicker. It's always been like this.

The earth is actually round and USA won the space race.

The Earth IS round but the USSR technically won the space race.

Are you being sarcastic or stating the obvious? Either way you're doing it wrong

if that was true Bisping wouldve had a title shot ages ago

The Earth IS round but the USSR technically won the space race.

Are you being sarcastic or stating the obvious? Either way you're doing it wrong

Stating the obvious, USSR won the first stage when Gagarin became first man in space but USA did land first on the moon which arguably was the climax of the space race.

I assume that's what he meant, that only in bellator do they have to earn title shots.

He is joking because Chandler lost and was given a rematch ... which turned into an interim fight, and he lost it ... and they were trying to give Chandler another title fight and make the interim champ who beat Chandler sit out.

I don't really have an issue with the winner of a Sonnen vs Belfort fighting getting a crack at the title... this is a tough bout, that I think will produce a worthy challenger... the reality is that this is professional sports, the UFC is a business (not a sports organization) and money is a major driving factor... so yes, drawing power will always be a consideration... but the winner of Vitor vs Chael is a worthy challenger to the MW title...

what I have an issue with is the fact that the eliminator is taking place at 205lbs... that is a joke..

what sports organization is not a business?

You make some good points here.

giphy.gif

what sports organization is not a business?

Difference is other orgs have parameters in place to decide championship matches: playoffs, heats, tourneys, etc.

Ufc, boxing does not. So when the match makers put on a fight I'm sure they do so with the titles integrity in mind, but you bet your ass that there are others in the room pushing PPV buys.

That's the way it should be. This is sports entertainment. With the emphasis on ENTERTAINMENT. If you can't produce then nobody wants to spend that Capitol to watch you compete. Plain and simple.

Why do people not understand this?

Bringing in money for your boss IS "earning it."

Back