The reality is proven draws don't have to "earn" title shots!

blkdynamite

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Doesn't matter who wins between Belfort and Sonnenn? BOTH will get shots at the title in short order. Will people pay to see them fight the top guy? Yes. Ex-champs especially are ALWAYS viable as long as people will see them fight.

That's the way it should be. This is sports entertainment. With the emphasis on ENTERTAINMENT. If you can't produce then nobody wants to spend that Capitol to watch you compete. Plain and simple.

Pretty obvious. The ufc makes their match ups according to who they think will sell cards the best.

Unfortunately, that's how it is in the sports business. Fighters like Machida had to go on a big win streak to even be considered for a shot at the title, while a fighter like Brock gets a title fight after going 1-1.

Fans vote with their wallets. The companies would be foolish not to cater to their preferred interests.

I don't really have an issue with the winner of a Sonnen vs Belfort fighting getting a crack at the title... this is a tough bout, that I think will produce a worthy challenger... the reality is that this is professional sports, the UFC is a business (not a sports organization) and money is a major driving factor... so yes, drawing power will always be a consideration... but the winner of Vitor vs Chael is a worthy challenger to the MW title...

what I have an issue with is the fact that the eliminator is taking place at 205lbs... that is a joke..

The earth is actually round and USA won the space race.

I'd disagree. If Belfort loses, people will want to see if he still has anything after being off TRT (look at Hendo's weight and how badly he was ragdolled in his first non-TRT fight).

This means he'll have to beat contenders, which could mean he could continue to slide down the rankings if he gets another loss.

I'd disagree. If Belfort loses, people will want to see if he still has anything after being off TRT (look at Hendo's weight and how badly he was ragdolled in his first non-TRT fight).

This means he'll have to beat contenders, which could mean he could continue to slide down the rankings if he gets another loss.

I thought Hendo had fought Evans without trt, because canada wouldn't allow him to? I'm not trying to call you out i'm wondering if i'm wrong or not

Unfortunately, that's how it is in the sports business. Fighters like Machida had to go on a big win streak to even be considered for a shot at the title, while a fighter like Brock gets a title fight after going 1-1.

Fans vote with their wallets. The companies would be foolish not to cater to their preferred interests.

And then Machida got a title shot with 1 win, and now a title shot with 2 wins at the new weight class.

Big draws do get easier paths to the title, but its also partly because they have paid their dues before.

Not saying I agree, but its reality.

That's the way it should be. This is sports entertainment. With the emphasis on ENTERTAINMENT. If you can't produce then nobody wants to spend that Capitol to watch you compete. Plain and simple.
Mm. True.

Doesn't matter who wins between Belfort and Sonnenn? BOTH will get shots at the title in short order. Will people pay to see them fight the top guy? Yes. Ex-champs especially are ALWAYS viable as long as people will see them fight.

Duh

UFC is turning into a joke more and more especially with Chael around. And no this is NOT how it should be this is how WWE is. And then people wonder why the UFC is losing views. Maybe they should try giving people on a big win streak titleshots instead of people who talk their way into it.

Back