The real reason Khabilov's suplex was so devastating

van1ty

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
EDIT: This thread brought to you by the guy who explained that Menjivar's armbar against Gashimov was NOT a Russian armbar: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/confusion-term-russian-armbar-2317489/

Well, to be fair, there's a few reasons. He loaded up Pichel perfectly, and dropped him perfectly. But the big reason, and what differentiated it from 99% of suplexes in MMA is this: Khabilov trapped Pichel's right arm.

89289474444.gif

Note how Khabilov not only has his hands cinched around Pichel's waist, but that Pichel's right arm is stuck inside. This completely prevented Pichel from breaking his fall with his right arm.

Contrast this with epic slams like the randleplex and diaz rory:

tumblr_ma4486ri7G1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

1233581_o.gif

It should be noted of course that rory and randleman's slams weren't "wrong", they're just suboptimal.

Last edited:
Nice thread!

Thanks for explaining it, for real.

I think he said it himself in his post-fight interview. And, nevertheless, it took him two great suplexes to figure it out. So maybe before his opponent was properly rocked he defended his arm and didn't allow Rustam to overhook it.

Khabilov's 3rd suplex imo = 2nd best slam overall in mma history next to aronabomb. Also landed much cleaner follow up punches. I was very impressed. I would like to see him face cruickshank or Abel Trujillo next. Would also love to see Cruikshank vs Trujillo. I've been very impressed with the new talent in the 155lb division as of late.

Khabilov's 3rd suplex imo = 2nd best slam overall in mma history next to aronabomb. Also landed much cleaner follow up punches. I was very impressed. I would like to see him face cruickshank or Abel Trujillo next. Would also love to see Cruikshank vs Trujillo. I've been very impressed with the new talent in the 155lb division as of late.

Frank Shamrocks slam is soooo underrated

I thought that was pretty obvious. When he gets ready to load it up you can see he intentionally gets the arm in. The arm you have trapped is the side you want to slam to so they can't brace for the fall.

Frank Shamrocks slam is soooo underrated

i spoke to him about that once. he said he could see Houdini was open for it and practised slamming people for weeks.

i asked if he slammed all his training partners on the mat, he laughed and said no, they used crash mats, he would have injured everyone and made himself very unpopular lol

Well, to be fair, there's a few reasons. He loaded up Pichel perfectly, and dropped him perfectly. But the big reason, and what differentiated it from 99% of suplexes in MMA is this: Khabilov trapped Pichel's right arm.
Note how Khabilov not only has his hands cinched around Pichel's waist, but that Pichel's right arm is stuck inside. This completely prevented Pichel from breaking his fall with his right arm.

Contrast this with epic slams like the randleplex and diaz rory:
It should be noted of course that rory and randleman's slams weren't "wrong", they're just suboptimal.

Yeah but Randleman managed to kick upwards and add all his weight + Fedor's in his randleplex.

Way to make a point that was made on the national tv broadcast

Back