The real difference between Jones & DC was cardio, no?

people are too quick to say "cardio" without recognizing what causes the cardio to get drained. jbj made dc work and didn't allow dc to "ragdoll" him in close, which is what alot of people were predicting would happen. jbj matched dc where dc was supposed to be stronger.

jones had better cardio and as usual his ridiculous size advantage helped immensely.

those two won him the fight. his "vicious striking" didn't have cormier hurt once.

Lol at everybody that says JJ has more skill than Cormier.
JJ's striking is plain sloppy and arkward.

The reach disadvantage forced DC to work extremely hard to get inside on Jones and when he got there he had to clinch a lot and this tired him out too. He also took a lot of damage IMO while trying to get inside. He just couldn't keep that up for 5 rounds. It's not due to bad cardio or inferior wrestling, it really comes back to the reach advantage.

Jon Jones is a better fighter than Daniel Cormier

nuff said

people are too quick to say "cardio" without recognizing what causes the cardio to get drained. jbj made dc work and didn't allow dc to "ragdoll" him in close, which is what alot of people were predicting would happen. jbj matched dc where dc was supposed to be stronger.

very true. in additon to this dc said jones hit him with a body shot in the first that hurt him, and that this was the first time he had gotten hurt inside the octagon. he said jones kept htting him with body shots and he could feel his energy sapping with every one he took.

Think DC is better suited to HW. The weight cut obvious is bad for his cardio.
He went after JJ, he lost. So it didnt work out. No big deal

Lol at everybody that says JJ has more skill than Cormier.
JJ's striking is plain sloppy and arkward.

and yet he out struck him... he is definitely more skilled overall. we dont even know if cormier has any bjj skills.

Jones used his reach very well
Cormier said it was when John's pressed him against the cage that he wore out. Jones was feeling those uppercuts and opted for an effective, but boring, strategy. Reminded me of Bonehugger vs. Tyson.

and yet he out struck him... he is definitely more skilled overall. we dont even know if cormier has any bjj skills.

JJ outwresteled him. Cormier landed the cleaner shots though, but he gassed and wasnt able to do enough to win.

Cardio. I dont give a shit what anyone says, Jones ate the heaviest shots exchanged in the fight. Cormier landed some heavy leather.

He was the one initiating all the grappling exchanges. He wasn't shooting for takedowns, but it was Cormier initiating all the clinches, which Jones quickly took control of.

If it'd all gone to plan it would have been Jones with his back to the fence, and Daniel with the option to reach down and pull his legs out but Jones was much better at wrestling in the clinch to allow it to happen.

He was clinching up with Jones but mostly seemed to be using it as a setup to landing dirty boxing to me rather than pushing that heavily for takedowns, it was only latter in the fight that his focus seemed to shift.

Trott said:
dc spoke on this after the fight. he said he studied jon and he never saw him counterstrike while moving backwards and it made it tough for dc.

Was certainly a supprize for me watching the fight, I suspect Jones has focused much of the last few months on improving this area of his game knowing he wouldn't be able to depend on using takedowns(or the fear of them) and the clinch to avoid exchanging aggressively with DC.

That said I do think Jones still had some fundamental weaknesses in boxing technique and to me it looked like Cormier was getting past his box of tricks in the second(the best round I think anyone has had vs Jones) to exploit them, just couldn't maintain that kind of pace to carry on doing so.

Last edited:
The reach disadvantage forced DC to work extremely hard to get inside on Jones and when he got there he had to clinch a lot and this tired him out too. He also took a lot of damage IMO while trying to get inside. He just couldn't keep that up for 5 rounds. It's not due to bad cardio or inferior wrestling, it really comes back to the reach advantage.

this.
Except that I didn't see 'a lot of damage' done to Cormier. But I would agree that overall JJ got in more shots than DC. But a reach advantage forces more work out of your opponent - let alone gives you a natural tactical advantage in the fight.

In my eyes JJ will never be the GOAT until he fights guys who have similar body structures to himself. Last night's fight looked like an 18 yr old vs a 12 yr old in terms of the height difference.

And, the only two guys who even make an interesting fight with him at LHW are AG and DC. If he happens to beat AG again, there really aren't any more interesting fights for him at LHW - none that I would pay to see. So, he and the UFC are going to start to hit a wall in terms of marketability - getting people to pay - to see him fight guys so much shorter than himself.

Eh, even fresh it was really close. I have a feeling Jones could have taken him down a lot more if he had tried more.

It was his cardio, he didn't use enough wrestling, how about Jon is simply just a better mma fighter than DC and it doesn't matter how many times they fight Jones will always be the better man because he simply has a bigger toolbox and you need more than just being a Olympic wrestling to beat a true mma fighter.

DC was Gassing end of the 2nd round, it made a huge difference

so happy Jones won

Of course it was cardio. DC had nothing left in the third and fourth. I can't believe some are saying it wasn't cardio. It's not like it's a cop out, cardio is more important than any other thing in mma if you aren't fit enough you lose.

He was clinching up with Jones but mostly seemed to be using it as a setup to landing dirty boxing to me rather than pushing that heavily for takedowns, it was only latter in the fight that his focus seemed to shift.

Was certainly a supprize for me watching the fight, I suspect Jones has focused much of the last few months on improving this area of his game knowing he wouldn't be able to depend on using takedowns(or the fear of them) and the clinch to avoid exchanging aggressively with DC.

That said I do think Jones still had some fundamental weaknesses in boxing technique and to me it looked like Cormier was getting past his box of tricks in the second(the best round I think anyone has had vs Jones) to exploit them, just couldn't maintain that kind of pace to carry on doing so.

i'd guess though that jones was ok eating some uppercuts in exchange for winning the positional battles.

Cardio & reach/height.

I think the reach/height made the different in grappling.

On the cage Jones would just extend out and lean his shoulder right in DC's face, he also kept his lower body pretty much out of range of any kind of strikes when they were locked up too.

Of course it was cardio. DC had nothing left in the third and fourth. I can't believe some are saying it wasn't cardio. It's not like it's a cop out, cardio is more important than any other thing in mma if you aren't fit enough you lose.

the most fit fighters can lose their cardio due to what happens in the cage. dc wasn't ready for what was on the other side, not that he wasn't fit.

Back