The real difference between Jones & DC was cardio, no?

I think that was a big part of it DC was wading through everything for 3 rounds non stop. He was always pushing forward and was doing well. People seem to not realize DC had more sig strikes landed at start if rd 4 and had center control way longer than jones. He just could not keep going. There is a reason Cain is special as he's the only guy who could keep a pace like that.

I think he just exhausted himself and I think he also mentally checked out.

Personally my feeling was always that people got the significance of the wrestling in this fight a bit backwards. The advantage Cormier had was IMHO less potentially destroying Jones on the ground but rather avoiding the threat of being destroyed on the ground by Jones.

Granted Jones hasn't actually been taking opponents down that often in recent years BUT I think its been the threat of the takedown and what he can do after he's gotten it that's really helped him. Cormier was the first guy he's faced who's wrestling was good enough that avoiding Jones takedowns didn't clearly handicap his standup game.

You look at Cormiers career and really he's never been THAT dangerous on the ground, generally he tries to grind opponents down slowly but vs someone like Jones that was always going to be very difficult even if he got the takedowns.

I think it was. Jones has had multiple fights at 205 go the distance and has that experience of knowing how to pace himself. Cormier is a former HW that had his first fight at 205 go the distance. He also has to cut weight, i don't know how much. The pace, body shots by Jones and maybe Adrenaline dump had to do something with. A tired fighter cant think straight, less chance of defending anything and can get hit easier. In the end of the day, nobody knows what happened except him

Back