The Queens Gambit (Netflix)

Great show indeed. Anya is a fantastic actress. People who are into chess do not need to worry about the presentation, they have GMs as consultants. Be sure to check out this guy's vids too after watching the show.

Watched the trailee, seemed a bit forced.

Probably gonna watch it because I'm into chess, but I hope the show has consultants so there isn't goofy writing like

"egads, she beat Magnus Carlsen in 4 moves!!!"
They had Gary as a consultant. Also it takes in a fictional cold war era so there's no Bobby, Spassky and Karpov.

The series is based on a novel with same title

They had Gary as a consultant. Also it takes in a fictional cold war era so there's no Bobby, Spassky and Karpov.
Just finished fourth episode. The way Harmon described Borgov made me think of Karpov and Fischer. I bet she'll use some absurd opening against him just to sow chaos at some point.

Last edited:
I thought it was going to be a girl power series, but I was surprised though. If you have free time to kill you should watch it because it's hella good.

Oh, thank God. I'm over those kinda shows because Netflix tends to do that...

Nurse Ratched seems to be one of those "man bad, women good" shows.

The characters they want you're supposed to like are are a gay, effeminate, black guy who cries over his beard leaving him, and some dude whose face is completely deformed.

Last edited:
Cheers guys , I saw it earlier and decided I'd watch it without the wife as it looked more my type of thing but we'll give it a go together.

I love chess and play everyday. I saw it and it was good. The only thing is it was a bit too long.

This was really good.

Do yourself a favor and read the book by Walter Tevis.

I didn't like the social justice bullshit Netflix injected to the show from the very first scenes, starting with the trans person working in the orphanage. That character did not exist in the book. And Harmon's black childhood friend growing up to want to be a black power type activist also was not a theme in the book. Neither was Harmon's aggressive attitude and total dominance over every male character in the show. They just wrote this shit in out of thin air.

Started watching the first couple episodes, this is really good so far. Any of you good players follow the Botez sisters?

If you want to read of someone coming out of no where and dominating chess, read up on Sultan Khan. The guy was a servant and played an indian version of chess. When he started playing wester chess, he dominated from the git go and beat Capablanca in a game. He was sick a lot be cause of the cold weather in england and eventually just went back to India to work for his master and never played chess again. He was extremely good though from having a sound positional understanding of the game. He improved a lot after learning some openings.

I thought it was going to be a girl power series, but I was surprised though. If you have free time to kill you should watch it because it's hella good.
Whats makes it so good? Comedy? Gun fights? Tits?

This show was incredible. Highly recommended. Even if you re not into chess it's extremely well done. Anya joy is a good actress and sexy to boot. Never heard of her before but now a fan.

Back