The Problem with Most BJJ Instructionals

KBEvolve

White Belt
Reaction score
I have many BJJ instructionals, but I've probably watched only a percentage of the content. Some of them simply bored me to tears. Then others were so fascinating that they made the process of learning enjoyable.

I believe that there are factors that influence that shift in perception. Of course, there is the individual instruction style, which plays a large role, but what else is a factor?

That's what I've been thinking about recently, and I wrote on a post on the topic as a initial thought process. I know though that there are pieces of the puzzle that I don't see yet. So I would like to discuss it.

Have you watched many instructionals? What have you learned from them, and was there anything done that helped you learn more?

the ones that Ive still come to try to implement in my game bored me after a while of watching, simply because at the time, I might not be interested in the techniques being shown, thats why I pick the ones that im trying to implement on my game... except ryans dvds, I can hear him talk about whats the chemical composition of a door, that will still be interested in hear his thoughts about it... I have a serious bjj crush on him (no homo)

the ones that Ive still come to try to implement in my game bored me after a while of watching, simply because at the time, I might not be interested in the techniques being shown, thats why I pick the ones that im trying to implement on my game... except ryans dvds, I can hear him talk about whats the chemical composition of a door, that will still be interested in hear his thoughts about it... I have a serious bjj crush on him (no homo)

ryanhall? I hear you there hes so chill and serious at the same time, I have his all his stuff on triangles, watched most of it. I think it all depends on how the person instructs it on video, I like when they get into all the small details that can sometimes be useful in other situations too.

ditto (on ryan hall)

ryanhall? I hear you there hes so chill and serious at the same time, I have his all his stuff on triangles, watched most of it. I think it all depends on how the person instructs it on video, I like when they get into all the small details that can sometimes be useful in other situations too.

yeah bro, ryan hall...

ryan hall is really good, pablo popovitch and mendes bros are the best ones in imo. they break down everything into detail, so its not simply just do this and this and thats the move ala ari bolden. the best dvds and videos are usually longer and breakdown a technique plus 5 or 6 ways your opponent will react to it, and have way less technique. Seriously some of their stuff i've been able to use straight from a dvd on my first attempt cause the instruction is so clear. Compare that to someone like caio terra, who has great techniques on his dvd, but the explanation is atrocious and you have no idea what to do afterwards if the move doesn't work. He just crammed 111 techniques onto a dvd. Its funny cause some of us asked some questions about some of his techniques from the dvd at his seminar and he didn't know which ones we were referring too lol, so that shows you.

I think ryans tone of voice defenetely helps, but the main thing about his dvds is that hes conceptual approach to everything, I dont like the place your hand here the other here then you foot here, your head here and like 100 here things, much rather get the concepts (along with some details of course)... I will for sure forget some of those "here" steps, but If I understand the concept of the move, then I will probably make it work by my self even without some "here" steps....

ryan hall is really good, pablo popovitch and mendes bros are the best ones in imo. they break down everything into detail, so its not simply just do this and this and thats the move ala ari bolden. the best dvds and videos are usually longer and breakdown a technique plus 5 or 6 ways your opponent will react to it, and have way less technique. Seriously some of their stuff i've been able to use straight from a dvd on my first attempt cause the instruction is so clear. Compare that to someone like caio terra, who has great techniques on his dvd, but the explanation is atrocious and you have no idea what to do afterwards if the move doesn't work. He just crammed 111 techniques onto a dvd. Its funny cause some of us asked some questions about some of his techniques from the dvd at his seminar and he didn't know which ones we were referring too lol, so that shows you.
I find the fact that you mentioned Pablo Popovitch interesting. I've been trying to get through his No-Gi Unleashed set for a long time with no success. It's strange because he does go into depth about the technique and why of it, but It was so boring. I think it might have been a problem with structure though.

He started off with very fine details without really making the relevance absolutely clear.

I also enjoy the Ryan hall method, also ribeiro revolutions, gives a good idea as to why and what for and his voice isnt too bad compared to the early Marcelo Garcia translations lol

ryan hall is the freddie roach of BJJ.
his instructional are awesome. his DHG dvd changed my life

I watched Roy Dean's Blue Belt Requirements as my first ever instructional. He is my favorite by far. After his dvds, I finally snapped out of my 'gold's gym' style and actually started doing work. I like how traditional he is as well.

It's getting crowded here at Ryan's nuts, but I'm all in. I hope Ryan's next DVD will be a 12-DVD set on "the inside space".

Xande Ribeiro's stuff is pretty good as well. (Saulo talks too much, IMO.)

To me it has always been that they tend to focus on what to do when everything is perfect.

The vast majority of DVDs on side control starts with the opponent's near arm away from the body, and nearly every mount DVD starts in a high mount without talking about the hard part of getting the arms away from the body at all. Once I'm under the near side arm from side control or have a high mount I'm not stuck for ideas, it's getting the opponent out of his shell that is the hard part.

That said Maia, Hall and Saulo's DVDs are phenomenal. Pedro Sauer's mount is also excellent.

It's getting crowded here at Ryan's nuts, but I'm all in. I hope Ryan's next DVD will be a 12-DVD set on "the inside space".

lol, true.

i really hope he makes one on guardpassing.

I think more instructionals should incorporate actual competition footage of them hitting the move. There was a segment in Arte Suave where Xande breaks down a beautiful reversal & back take he hits on Jacare during a match. He uses slow motion, rewinds it a few times and uses great detail in breaking down the technique. For me, this is awesome because it's showing these moves used in a real competitive situation against world class opponents (so you know the stuff works). It's also just a more enjoyable way to learn IMO.

I think more instructionals should incorporate actual competition footage of them hitting the move. There was a segment in Arte Suave where Xande breaks down a beautiful reversal & back take he hits on Jacare during a match. He uses slow motion, rewinds it a few times and uses great detail in breaking down the technique. For me, this is awesome because it's showing these moves used in a real competitive situation against world class opponents (so you know the stuff works). It's also just a more enjoyable way to learn IMO.

that will kill lots of dvd fillers.

the brasa portion was cool as hell too.

also, now that americans are releasing their own instructionals i miss hearing "in these tapes...", "ok guys...", & "conceples".

:)

I have to agree with the Ryan Hall love. But mostly what makes instructionals dead boring is the droning sound and repetitious nature of badly spoken english.

"You know guys, guys look here, ok so I grap.. his...... ribs.. hips.. my hips.. and pull.. my helbow.. to his .. my.. rips.. ribs.. Like diz.. you see guys.. look. Now.. I scape my hips...... and tchakey heez back.. one arm.. over... one arm... under... heez arm.... and ... iz important tchoo nawt give any spacey here guyz.... you gotta hold... tight.."

Completely unnecessary information with so much superflous garbage language it's unbearable. In comparison, a decent instructor that speaks the language (in this case english) will instead replace all that wasted breath with stuff like.. :

"I push on his hips, not with my hand but with my arm. The grip I have on his belt here isn't so much to hold him in place, but for me to hold my arm in place where I need it to be to push the guy. And in fact, the push isn't so much a push, as me holding him in place and moving myself. So I move my hips just a tiny bit and I'll create enough space to get my leg out and take his back."

The language barrier, the really hardcore accents etc. Make even people who might be very good instructors seem very boring and useless. A lot of guys are getting better at the language. I'm not saying everyone is like this. But the boring useless instructionals I know of are usually because of something like this. It's just not engaging to listen to because of the droning/staccato pace of the instructor.

I have to agree with the Ryan Hall love. But mostly what makes instructionals dead boring is the droning sound and repetitious nature of badly spoken english.

"You know guys, guys look here, ok so I grap.. his...... ribs.. hips.. my hips.. and pull.. my helbow.. to his .. my.. rips.. ribs.. Like diz.. you see guys.. look. Now.. I scape my hips...... and tchakey heez back.. one arm.. over... one arm... under... heez arm.... and ... iz important tchoo nawt give any spacey here guyz.... you gotta hold... tight.."

Completely unnecessary information with so much superflous garbage language it's unbearable. In comparison, a decent instructor that speaks the language (in this case english) will instead replace all that wasted breath with stuff like.. :

"I push on his hips, not with my hand but with my arm. The grip I have on his belt here isn't so much to hold him in place, but for me to hold my arm in place where I need it to be to push the guy. And in fact, the push isn't so much a push, as me holding him in place and moving myself. So I move my hips just a tiny bit and I'll create enough space to get my leg out and take his back."

The language barrier, the really hardcore accents etc. Make even people who might be very good instructors seem very boring and useless. A lot of guys are getting better at the language. I'm not saying everyone is like this. But the boring useless instructionals I know of are usually because of something like this. It's just not engaging to listen to because of the droning/staccato pace of the instructor.

change the "s" to "th"then you got yourself a robson moura intructional.

Back