The Press

KnightTemplar

Green(Goblin)Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why does SS use the The Press instead of the Push-Press? I'm not arguing with the choice, since I'm fairly certain the Rippetoe has forgotten more about strength training than I will ever know. I'm just curious as to the reasoning behind it.

Saw a video on YouTube in which Rip explains why he calls it The Press instead of Shoulder Press, "Because how can you press without using your shoulders? You could Leg Press...but that's just Gay.":icon_chee

If you want to hear it from the horse's mouth, go to his forum and ask him directly.

I think if you are doing only push presses without any strict overhead work you could get some imbalances.

I have to say I only push press, although in the past I have done strict DB and BB work for delts.

I absolutely love the push press (I do the behind neck version)..... got my 3RM to 205.

From Starting Strength:

"The push press enables heavier weight to be handled, true, but the shoulders are doing less of the work while the triceps are getting better at locking out the bar. This is fine if kept in proper perspective: push presses make a good assistance movement for the press, but they are no substitute for it. Strict work with good form causes strength to be developed in the target muscle groups." - Mark Rippetoe

I have to say I only push press, although in the past I have done strict DB and BB work for delts.

I absolutely love the push press (I do the behind neck version)..... got my 3RM to 205.

I'm sure your shoulders are going to be delighted by the explosive behind the neck press with 205 pounds down the road.

I'm sure your shoulders are going to be delighted by the explosive behind the neck press with 205 pounds down the road.

Why would it do any harm to his shoulders?

Why people insist on pushing/pulling from behind the neck is beyond me

Because some people actually find it more comfortable?

It also allows for a straighter bar path to get the weight over head.

Someone tell Misha he's going to hurt his shoulders.

The Press is a more pure, fundamental movement. In the Assistance Exercises section of SS, he does cover the Push Press.

Because some people actually find it more comfortable?

It also allows for a straighter bar path to get the weight over head.

Exactly.... I actually find it a far more natural movement than a push press to the front.

I believe in gut instinct..... when I first did it.... my brain was screaming "DOTHISITSGOODDOTHISITSGOODDOTHISITSGOOD"

Some good stuff on behind the neck work:

"Concurrent extreme external rotation and abduction has been termed the "at-risk" (or 90/90) position by many practitioners, so behind-the-neck lat pulldowns and presses have been blacklisted. These individuals cite potential problems with anterior glenohumeral instability(4,5), external impingement, internal impingement (a new-age diagnosis common in overhead throwing athletes with hypermobility), acromioclavicular joint degeneration, and even the risk of intervertebral disc injuries (due to the flexed neck position). The infraspinatus and teres minor are shortened in the 90/90 position, and may therefore be ineffective as depressors of the humeral head due to shortcomings in terms of the length-tension relationship.(7)

In my opinion, you must view the two exercises independently of one another. For starters, one must differentiate between exercises involving traction and approximation at the glenohumeral joint. Pulldowns (like most cable exercises) are an example of a traction exercise, as they pull the head of the humerus away from the glenoid fossa. Various pressing exercises, on the other hand, involve approximation; they drive the head of the humerus further into the "socket." Approximation exercises increase the likelihood of subacromial impingement much more than traction exercises, and this is why exercises like pulldowns, pull-ups and shrugs can be integrated into rehabilitation programs before various presses. So, on paper, pulldowns in the "at-risk" position are less dangerous than presses.

However, in comparison to all the pulldown variations you can do in front of the neck, going BTN is just going to shorten your range of motion and reduce activation of the very musculature you

Back