The PPV buys for 2018

woodley can't sell for shit, indeed. not only he's insanely boring but he's annoying and also doesn't draw. no wonder dana doesn't like him (but I don't think usman beating him will improve things in that regard. I think usman will whine much less, but that's about it)

I think the undercard has a big impact on sales. Would be interesting to see the entire cards compared. For example, Nunes vs Cyborg was a co main and that’s a way bigger fight than Nunes vs Pennington, which was a main event.

2,400,000* - 10/6 UFC 229 Conor McGregor vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov
700,000 - 12/29 UFC 232 Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson

Conor absolutely pissed on jones.

2,400,000* - 10/6 UFC 229 Conor McGregor vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov
700,000 - 12/29 UFC 232 Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson

Conor absolutely pissed on jones.

Why are you comparing?
Seems out of nowhere

Frankie, how's the revenue (annual)?

Judging by 2017 & knowing the 2018 differences, it should be about $800m

2019 will be the year to look for.
They are adding over $100m per from ESPN, plus the added PPV rev due to the new deals.
Add in escalating worldwide deals & they might break $1b

I said the same thing! That and the whole moving from Vegas to LA, I thought 232 was doomed PPV wise. I was wrong.

We are in a bubble
Most people don't care about the things this board does.

Ask a casual about Reebok & they either don't care or don't know

Thanks for posting.

I think it's crazy that DC vs Stipe can't even hit 400k. I'd like to think that fight drew much more (casual) viewers than that.
But that may be more due to the fact that PPV is a shitty and outdated model and most people resort to pirating cards these days, especially if they're not super-stacked like UFC 229.

Edit: UFC 224 is just hilarious.
Ufc 229 wasn’t stacked at all
It just had mcgregor on it

It's no wonder Conor can do no wrong and Dana hates Tyron...Conor almost did as many as the rest combined.
woodley can't sell for shit, indeed. not only he's insanely boring but he's annoying and also doesn't draw. no wonder dana doesn't like him (but I don't think usman beating him will improve things in that regard. I think usman will whine much less, but that's about it)

Also strange how many are right in that 300k range...I wonder if it's just bars actually ordering ppvs at this point.

Well it's worth noting Woodley's previous bouts hit the 300k mark as well, but when your "fight of the night" is called boring and you follow it up with two more title defenses labeled as the worst title defenses ever, you're going to kill any interest and momentum you built up previously.

I think the undercard has a big impact on sales. Would be interesting to see the entire cards compared. For example, Nunes vs Cyborg was a co main and that’s a way bigger fight than Nunes vs Pennington, which was a main event.

Most times the undercard doesn't.
But a great co-main can
Nunes/Borg certainly helped a bit

Frankie - thanks for the info.

slightly different topic but what is the rule of thumb for # of buys needed for breakeven? both now and when/if the UFC gets a better split.

thanks

Frankie - thanks for the info.

slightly different topic but what is the rule of thumb for # of buys needed for breakeven? both now and when/if the UFC gets a better split.

thanks

Its tough to gauge
Fighter pay varies
Where the event is held varies. Different arena's have different fees. Plus travel budget. Also some places might give a tax discount for UFC coming there (why there has been no Hawaii shows)

PS ... you are more than welcome

Logan Paul ppv shouldn't be on the list. Buys were just 10 bucks.

43,000 - 11/24 Golden Boy Promotions Chuck Liddell vs. Tito Ortiz

<36>

Remember when Oscar said the PPV sold better than early reports because the iPPV did amazing?

It did 13k
now that percentage is a lot higher than most PPV's
Conor/Khabib was 20-25% (i forget)

but more Oscar BS (like paying fighters better)

WOW! These numbers are crazy.
People are not interested in MMA in general, but in drama and entertainment. Can't blame them. To most "fighting" is a violent barbaric type of activity, therefore they will not buy into it if no drama or "fun". Easy example is Game of Thrones (tits, incest, non-stop blood, fantasy etc.) vs. a documentary on Einstein and the relativity story: one is entertaining and escaping reality, the other is "boring" and right into reality.

And since UFC is a business, the Conor vs Tyron polarization is understandable.

Back