The Phenomenon of Why the Mexicans Love The Smiths

And why were the BareNaked ladies, who were struggling to sustain in the Canadian market so much more popular in the US, during their early formative years?

b2ap3_large_BNL-cover.jpg

My Mexican friends introduced me to Immortal Technique, they don't play Morrissey.

They are all about hip hop and punk.

But they also aren't "sad boy" vegans.
How old are you? Might be generational.

Absolutely love the smiths and early solo Morrissey.

Truly one of the best bands of all time.

The phenomenon is very real especially in LA.
When I'd go to a smiths night at a club long, long ago, i swear I was the token white guy.

And why were the BareNaked ladies, who were struggling to sustain in the Canadian market so much more popular in the US, during their early formative years?

b2ap3_large_BNL-cover.jpg
This is LITERALLY not a thing. I'm in the GTA & was well aware of BNL during their formative years (early 90s). For an independent band, they were huge.

Its a massive generalization that is inexplicably true. For years people have been talking about how Mexicans are arguably the base of all fans of The Smiths and or Morissey.

Its because they identify with the bands pathos and the sad boy phenomenon. Cumbia, tejano, bando banda ......are lyrically depressed topics but comes wrapped in the gayness and silliness of the accordions and organ flutes.

I have enjoyed The Smiths for a very long time can't say I like all of their catalog but I am a fan. The Mexican thing is a known quantity amongst peers and those who have followed them before.

Not one Mexican I know, knows what the fuck The Smiths are, and I know about 3.3m of them.

Did you and the other guy then play a round of "Who's more Mexican"? What other groups are stereotypically tied to Mexicans that one might not know of?

It’s too early to be a stereotype, but I was just thinking about King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard.
Their Mexican fanbase is huge.
They put out this poster design and the t-shirts were a hit and have sold out on 3 runs already.
IMG_7619.jpeg
IMG_7620.jpeg
The design features a real midget wrestler:
IMG_7621.jpeg

I always admired that they are one of the tightest playing live bands and thought it was rad how they used to have two drummers just a couple of years ago.
I went to see them in Mexico City and they sold out a huge arena, the energy was off the hook, like an old school superstar heavy rock concert.
It was the first time they played a 3 hour marathon outside of Australia, 2 albums + encore

IMG_7616.jpegIMG_7618.jpeg
IMG_7622.jpeg
IMG_7628.jpegIMG_7629.jpegIMG_7630.jpeg

IMG_7633.jpeg

It’s too early to be a stereotype, but I was just thinking about King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard.
They put out this poster design and the t-shirts were a hit and have sold out on 3 runs already.
View attachment 1061477
View attachment 1061478
View attachment 1061479

I always admired that they are one of the tightest playing live bands and thought it was rad how they used to have two drummers just a couple of years ago.
I went to see them in Mexico City and they sold out a huge arena, the energy was off the hook, like an old school superstar heavy rock concert.
It was the first time they played a 3 hour marathon outside of Australia, 2 albums + encore

View attachment 1061475View attachment 1061476
View attachment 1061480
View attachment 1061483View attachment 1061484View attachment 1061485

View attachment 1061486

IMG_7631.jpegIMG_7632.jpegIMG_7635.jpegIMG_7617.jpegIMG_7634.jpegIMG_7626.jpegIMG_7625.jpeg

View attachment 1061477
View attachment 1061478
View attachment 1061479

View attachment 1061475View attachment 1061476
View attachment 1061480
View attachment 1061483View attachment 1061484View attachment 1061485

View attachment 1061486
I love their more psychedelic stuff. The more Rock/Metal stuff is sweet too, but stuff like Polygondwanaland is really different and cool. Good taste, Mexico!

I love their more psychedelic stuff. The more Rock/Metal stuff is sweet too, but stuff like Polygondwanaland is really different and cool. Good taste, Mexico!

It was a dope concert because it swayed from psychedelic/rock/metal/melodic.

What kind of Mexicans? Californians and hipsters from Mexico City?
I grew up in Mexico, they weren’t particularly popular.

I really got into them when I was in my late teens, and I didn’t know anyone that was specially into them. The Cure was much more famous.
What stands out to me is Johnny Marr’s complex melodic chord shapes, off-beat rhythms and time signatures. He’s really one of the most articulate guitarists ever, while never being over indulgent.

Another band I was surprised to learn had a stereotype of a big Mexican fan base is Iron Maiden. Which I do like as well lol.
I asked this white dude if he liked them (turns out his mom is Mexican which I didn’t know) and he replied annoyed “Why? Because I’m Mexican???”
I was like what the fuck is going on??
I don't understand The Smith fandom. I always thought only gays liked them. But the Maiden thing I get. Every Maiden show is filled with awesome Mexican fans. I always used buy those cheap t shirts being sold in the parking lot by thieves for $5-$10 a shirt. I know they are mostly smalls so I sold them on Ebay. Always to Mexico.

I don't understand The Smith fandom. I always thought only gays liked them. But the Maiden thing I get. Every Maiden show is filled with awesome Mexican fans. I always used buy those cheap t shirts being sold in the parking lot by thieves for $5-$10 a shirt. I know they are mostly smalls so I sold them on Ebay. Always to Mexico.

When I got into The Smiths I was in the hospital after flipping my SUV over and recovering from a graft skin surgery on my hand, they brought me some CDs of them and I guess the gloominess resonated with the way I was feeling.
Before that I always felt like the sentimentality of banda music and Mexican heartbreak stuff was gay as fuck, and annoying sounding. But I guess these lyrics were more poetic and like I said Johnny Marr’s playing is pretty amazing.

I decided to stop listening to them so frequently a few years ago because I don’t wanna feel sad, fey, or gloomy. I still think it would be dope to just learn some of those guitar instrumentals.

Iron Maiden I would listen to in my heavy music phase when I was 14 and the couple years after that, I liked heavy music before that but didn’t have as much access to acquiring albums so would mostly listen to whatever I could get on MTV.
Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Slayer, Testament, Pantera, etc…
Also alternative rock and punk but out of those classic heavy metal bands didn’t think Iron Maiden was so “Mexican.”

This is LITERALLY not a thing. I'm in the GTA & was well aware of BNL during their formative years (early 90s). For an independent band, they were huge.
Ya accept you are FACTUALLY wrong as well as LITERALLY.

I had a friend who was a roadie with them, during their early success and thru the decline that immediately followed. It was touring in Upstate NY, all along the Canadian border that saved them and allowed them to fund the tour, when they could not longer get sales in Canada.

Here is one of the lead singers Ed Robertson speaking about it.

..By the time Stunt hit in the U.S. two years later, ten years into their career, the group’s profile was already on the decline at home in Canada, teaching singer Ed Robertson a valuable lesson on the potentially fleeting nature of fame, one reflected lyrically in Maroon’s first single “Pinch Me.”...

cite

Back