The Painful Handshake (How do you do it?)

When shaking someone's hand, squeeze the fleshy part between their index and thumb using your thumb and the side of your index knuckle. There's a little pressure point there.

This is something I was taught during high school lunch breaks, not at a martial arts class.

We did a submission from a handshake the other day in BJJ. We were working a series of wrist locks (most were on the ground). I don't think I'd ever use this technique though (I'd just hit the guy).

Stand facing Uke

Shake hands right to right

Turn 90 degrees to your left - this will bend Uke arm at the wrist

Clasp your left hand behind Uke's right elbow

Place the back of Uke's right hand onto the middle of your chest

From here you should have leverage to break the wrist by pulling his elbow and mving forward.

this thread doesn't suck, it's
actually very interesting with
people like ichimonji contributing to it.

the painful handshake, I thought you can press your thumb into
where the thumb bone meets the hand bone, if done correctly
and with practice you can dislocate it????

A good punch to the face with your spare hand works a treat. Guys that do tight handshakes have low self esteem and have fear. They make me laugh.

Counter the firm handshake by spreading your fingers like Spock when he says "Live long and prosper" or whatever he says. EXCEPT, you have three fingers to one side and the thumb and index finger on the other.When you shake hands spread your fingers this way, with your index finger on top of his wrist, and your other three fingers on the fleshy bottom part of his hand.

It should more or less feel like a normal handshake to him, but his squeeze won't effect you. Just smile at him.

Learned this from a jailer who got tired of inmates squeezing the fuck out of his hand during the "goodbye" handshake on the day of their release.

Waxwingslain said:
We did a submission from a handshake the other day in BJJ. We were working a series of wrist locks (most were on the ground). I don't think I'd ever use this technique though (I'd just hit the guy).

Stand facing Uke

Shake hands right to right

Turn 90 degrees to your left - this will bend Uke arm at the wrist

Clasp your left hand behind Uke's right elbow

Place the back of Uke's right hand onto the middle of your chest

From here you should have leverage to break the wrist by pulling his elbow and mving forward.

It doesnt seem to b realistic. your hand cant really hold firmly his elbow.. he just shakes that n his body and the lock is off. Bsides, he still has his left hand.

Superbeast said:
When shaking someone's hand, squeeze the fleshy part between their index and thumb using your thumb and the side of your index knuckle. There's a little pressure point there.

This is something I was taught during high school lunch breaks, not at a martial arts class.

This is by far the best tactic.

As far as simply pressing the joint where the thumb meets the hand, I don;t think that'll work, the joint will simply slip away from your hand as far as I can tell but I may be wrong.

Finally the manuever where you break the wrist: that was on numerous gracie instructionals and when you can get the timing right you will DEFINITELY break the guy's wrist. However, I am not sure if you can really initiate the move from a handshake. I have seen it getting started by holding his wrist and pulling the wrist into your abdomen,

Any more suggestions....

Sub7

TapSD said:
FixedThisThreadSucks.gif

Hahahahahahahahaha. That is hilarious!

COUNTER TO HAND-CRUSHER
1) While shaking his hand say "'I tell you 'bout that nasty skin fungus I picked up last week?".
2) Scratch (your) balls vigorously prior to shaking
3) Scratch (your) asscrack vigorously prior to shaking
4) Wipe hand under nose while loudly sniffing prior to shaking
5) Pick your nose prior to shaking
6) Comment on his lovely skin & how his shirt matches his eyes prior to shaking
7) Pretend to sneeze, covering your mouth with your hand prior to shaking

So, if there are no more suggestions, SuperBeast's method will go down in hostory as the most painful handshake...

Thanks Superbeast.

judogido said:
COUNTER TO HAND-CRUSHER
1) While shaking his hand say "'I tell you 'bout that nasty skin fungus I picked up last week?".
2) Scratch (your) balls vigorously prior to shaking
3) Scratch (your) asscrack vigorously prior to shaking
4) Wipe hand under nose while loudly sniffing prior to shaking
5) Pick your nose prior to shaking
6) Comment on his lovely skin & how his shirt matches his eyes prior to shaking
7) Pretend to sneeze, covering your mouth with your hand prior to shaking

indeed

The hand consists of two bones. Make the bone 'roll over the other by using ur hand like a wave

Ok, so I am only going to reply to this because in theory it can be used to COUNTER a toughguy trying to squeeze your hand to shit.

Lets say you are shaking right hands and the asshat you are shaking hands with decides to try and crush your hand with theirs.... What you want to do is extrend the thumb on your right hand (The one that is shaking) and grab it with your left hand, palm down. This will put the knuckles of your left hand against the metacarpal bones on the outside of the other persons hand. Grasp your thumb tightly and force the knuckles of your left hand into their metacarpals, using your right hand thumb as a lever.

This is hard to describe with text, so if this is unclear, I can try to make a video of it.

It is the fastest, easiest, most painful counter offense I know of from a handshake position and sounds to be what you described in your original post.

I trust that people here are mature enough to not use this to bust some poor unsuspecting guys balls, but I am not going to get my hopes up. I fully expect a post tomorrow that talks of how someone taught it to their 3 year old and it's a riot to watch. :rolleyes:

wouldnt it work just to make a fist
to counter the squeeze?

what ichimonji makes sense to me, because Aikido is a sword art, and
they have a move called yonkyo which you grab their hand.

not really a hand shake but same premise.

thecas said:
It doesnt seem to b realistic.

Yeah, but arguably most bjj is unrealistic in teh str33t.

thecas said:
your hand cant really hold firmly his elbow..
he just shakes that n his body and the lock is off.

Why not? You can hold the elbow long enough to break the wrist especially if he's wearing a gi. We grip each others elbows all the time when grappling.

thecas said:
Bsides, he still has his left hand.

True.

I got shown it in a series of wristlocks and thought it was on topic. Never said it was the be-all and end-all of fighting.

Back